joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, yossarian said:

Let me translate this:

"I'm going to be day-to-day until week 17. You won't be able to drop me, you won't be able to play me, and I won't go on IR so you dynasty guys will just have to live with me eating up a precious bench spot. I will return for week 17 after most people are done with fantasy football and promptly put up 250 total yards and 3 TDs. Because of this you will draft me at the end of the 2nd/top of the 3rd next season"

I will drop him if someone better comes available. He is not fooling me that's for damn sure. 

On 11/21/2019 at 12:38 AM, Cdub2k said:

I will drop him if someone better comes available. He is not fooling me that's for damn sure. 

This is how I look at it. He's not startable until a week after he's deemed "healthy", but if he's productive in that game he's gonna be a better start that next week than anyone on waivers right now. 

On 11/23/2019 at 1:22 AM, BGDDYKWL said:

This is how I look at it. He's not startable until a week after he's deemed "healthy", but if he's productive in that game he's gonna be a better start that next week than anyone on waivers right now. 

He was listed as FP every practice before last weeks game. Not sure I trust the injury reports. Steelers are able to lie on the injury report and not get penalized for it, sounds about right.

Droppable? Depends on your situation I guess. I'm not confident he resumes as a bellcow if Snell has another good week. I'd be tempted to grab a high-end handcuff. Week 15 is gonna be the first week you're conceivably confident starting him.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

Droppable? Depends on your situation I guess. I'm not confident he resumes as a bellcow if Snell has another good week. I'd be tempted to grab a high-end handcuff. Week 15 is gonna be the first week you're conceivably confident starting him.

I did just that.  You have to be ok with him burning you back on another team in the playoffs, which I've decided I am.  Tired of juggling my roster around him and the ever changing Q tag/IR designation.  No guaruntee he ever comes back and finishes a game and I need to win right meow.  

On 11/25/2019 at 10:49 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

Another good week? I saw a lot of plodder runs against a terrible defense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

I did just that.  You have to be ok with him burning you back on another team in the playoffs, which I've decided I am.  Tired of juggling my roster around him and the ever changing Q tag/IR designation.  No guarantee he ever comes back and finishes a game and I need to win right meow.  

This is my biggest concern. Not to mention they have Buffalo and at the Jets week 15/16. Tough to be confident starting him in either of those. 

14 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Another good week? I saw a lot of plodder runs against a terrible defense.

In his two "starts" he's averaged 19 carries on over 4.5 yards per carry. And they invested a 4th round pick on him. Not to mention at this point I think there are serious concerns about Conner being able to stay healthy. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him remain involved. 

[...] I’d have real issues running Conner out there if he somehow is active. It just seems like he can’t finish a game. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Droppable if you’re in must-win mode. There’s no guarantee he finishes a game or even gets more than 10 touches in a game for the rest of the year.

If you’re in the scenario where you can start Emmitt Smith this week and next and still make the playoffs, there’s zero reason to get cute and drop him for some waiver bum. We’ll know a lot more about this situation by Week 15, and it’s still possible he produces like a first-rounder during the playoffs.

Looks like he is on track for return next week. Anyone with the cajones to start him against the Bills in the first week of the playoffs? It will be 6 weeks from the injury on october 28th. 

Edited by fantasymad

1 hour ago, fantasymad said:

Looks like he is on track for return next week. Anyone with the cajones to start him against the Bills in the first week of the playoffs? It will be 6 weeks from the injury on october 28th. 

I definitely do not, which is why I dropped him. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to be a good start that week, or at the Jets the next, but there are just too many concerns for me. Scaled back workload is one, reinjury another, and the offense being so bad he gets gamescripted out to some degree. 

I think it's very possible that they wanna see what they have in Snell and Conner is no longer the bellcow.  

• Like 1

Can the Steelers finally be honest with every and say that he isn't coming back this week.  This doubtful crap,  doesn't work. You already said that JuJu won't play this week   

Edited by urban2014

6 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Can the Steelers finally be honest with every and say that he isn't coming back this week.  This doubtful crap,  doesn't work. You already said that JuJu won't play this week   

He ain't playing. Doubtful means out my guess is around 95% of the time. Not to mention if by some miracle he suited up he'd be far too risky to even consider playing. 

he has been ruled out. Feel free to place him on IR and pick up a handcuff lottery ticket

Edited by Cdub2k

Conner will be one of many RBs in the dustbin of history. A guy whose name will be a trivia answer in 20 years - "oh yeah I remember him". Because he is through as a viable RB in the NFL.

• Haha 1

PIT would be wise to stockpile picks and trade away anything not nailed down. Big Ben is almost 40 whether he's good to go next year or not. The entire RB "stable" needs glue factory.

Their path to future success is once again their defense, which seems to be rejuvenated as currently constructed. 

This team's dire needs are at QB, RB and WR in that order.  

14 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

PIT would be wise to stockpile picks and trade away anything not nailed down. Big Ben is almost 40 whether he's good to go next year or not. The entire RB "stable" needs glue factory.

Their path to future success is once again their defense, which seems to be rejuvenated as currently constructed. 

This team's dire needs are at QB, RB and WR in that order.  

I think we're alright at WR.

TE is the skill position we are most desperate. McDonald is a nothing player really. Average blocker, not much of a receiving threat.

We'll need O-line if the decline of the group we currently have continues further as well. 

We have hardly any picks this year in the draft though. I suspect we just take the best available player with our 2nd rounder, whatever position they may be. Might be a bit more free agency movement from us than normal.

Conner will probably still be relevant next season in all likeliness. You could expect something similar to this season. Unless Derrick Henry leaves Tennessee 🦏