joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

Snell isn't fit to hold Conner's jock...he will go back to the pine when/if Conner is ready to resume his normal workload.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/james-conner-on-shoulder-its-getting-better-but-will-not-return-until-im-sure-i-wont-need-surgery/

"It’s getting better”, he did tell his hosts on the outside in updating his status, “but like I said this is a battle of time. I’m doing everything else possible, like I said last week, and I’m going to continue to do that. The shoulder’s just something that takes time”.

“If it was unstable and I went out there”, he said, “and the joint kept moving around, then I would need surgery.  I’m not going to do that.  I’m not going to come back until I’m sure I won’t need surgery on my shoulder”.

So it appears that we are just in a holding pattern right now with Conner. He will be healthy whenever he is healthy, however long that takes, and there is no clear timeline for that. Whenever he can play without risking the need to have surgery, that’s when he’ll return, and no sooner.

“Everybody has their roles”, he said of the now five-man running back room. “My role is to get healthy”.

Return up in the air. Snell time!

• Haha 1

I wish they'd have just put him on IR so I could use my bench spot for something else. I didn't think he'd be out over a month when he initially sprained the joint. 

34 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/james-conner-on-shoulder-its-getting-better-but-will-not-return-until-im-sure-i-wont-need-surgery/

"It’s getting better”, he did tell his hosts on the outside in updating his status, “but like I said this is a battle of time. I’m doing everything else possible, like I said last week, and I’m going to continue to do that. The shoulder’s just something that takes time”.

“If it was unstable and I went out there”, he said, “and the joint kept moving around, then I would need surgery.  I’m not going to do that.  I’m not going to come back until I’m sure I won’t need surgery on my shoulder”.

So it appears that we are just in a holding pattern right now with Conner. He will be healthy whenever he is healthy, however long that takes, and there is no clear timeline for that. Whenever he can play without risking the need to have surgery, that’s when he’ll return, and no sooner.

“Everybody has their roles”, he said of the now five-man running back room. “My role is to get healthy”.

Return up in the air. Snell time!

Lol "my role is to get healthy"

What a great line

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, pushaZ said:

Lol "my role is to get healthy"

What a great line

for all the Conner truthers

On Tuesday, when asked about his young running back, Tomlin said that Snell has earned more opportunities to contribute even when Conner returns to the fold. 

3 minutes ago, phillyball said:

Does he sit the season out?

At this point they’ll almost certainly put him on IR if they fall out of the playoffs. So any Steelers loss runs the risk of him being shut down.

The bigger implication of him being ruled out for Week 14 this early is that we won’t get a “prove it” week before weighing whether or not to start him in the fantasy semifinals. We can’t start him Week 15 without worrying if he’ll aggravate the injury on his first carry the way he did last time.

So, you can maybe start him Week 16, *if* the Steelers keep winning games AND you personally advance to the fantasy Super Bowl AND he plays Week 15 and puts up a big line and makes it through the game without setbacks.

There are a lot of conditions in there that have to be met to justify rostering a guy who hasn’t done anything since the midway point of the season...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eg4190 said:

At this point they’ll almost certainly put him on IR if they fall out of the playoffs. So any Steelers loss runs the risk of him being shut down.

The bigger implication of him being ruled out for Week 14 this early is that we won’t get a “prove it” week before weighing whether or not to start him in the fantasy semifinals. We can’t start him Week 15 without worrying if he’ll aggravate the injury on his first carry the way he did last time.

So, you can maybe start him Week 16, *if* the Steelers keep winning games AND you personally advance to the fantasy Super Bowl AND he plays Week 15 and puts up a big line and makes it through the game without setbacks.

There are a lot of conditions in there that have to be met to justify rostering a guy who hasn’t done anything since the midway point of the season...

tl;dr - D R O P CITY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's official, James Conner is a bust this year. Was hoping for a surge during the playoffs that he would be able to lift teams up.  Good story with him beating cancer to make it to the NFL but he's not cut out to be a workhorse back.  

SUN, DEC 8, 12:47 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Conner (shoulder), who has been ruled out for Sunday's game against the Cardinals, is expected to return to action Week 15 versus the Bills, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports.

Spin: Conner will be sidelined for the fifth time in six games due to the sprained AC joint in his right shoulder, paving the way for Benny Snell to carry the load on the ground for the Steelers, while Jaylen Samuels handles most of the passing-down work. Though it appears Conner may be ready to end his streak of absences Week 15, Garafolo notes that the running back previously has told teammates that he didn't think he would be able to play through the injury without getting surgery first. With that in mind, Conner's fantasy managers should have some level of concern about his potential workload moving forward once he's active again, as he looks like he'll be at regular risk of exposing himself to another setback until surgery is performed.

------

Does anyone trust starting this guy in the playoffs this upcoming week against the Bills assuming he gets the green light? What about as a flex? 

Depends on your options I guess. I would think he's at least flex-worthy albeit with some risk. But after aggravating it previously you would think(hope) that this time he really is 100% and able to get through a game. Clearly the dude is far more talented than the other scrubs and their pathetic performances shouldn't make you gun shy about Conner. 

Samuels being a DNP and Snell looking terrible makes Conner a very attractive play this week. 

35 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

If he plays which it sounds like there is a good chance of, I'll be trotting him out there hoping for the best.

DND next year. I hope the Steelers bring in a quality back so I'm not tempted to draft him again after I read all of the reports about Big Ben being healthy.

• Haha 1

Anyone else riding or dying with Conner this week? If he is active I am playing him. Hopefully 6 weeks off was enough for him to get to close to 100%. 

10 hours ago, fantasymad said:

Anyone else riding or dying with Conner this week? If he is active I am playing him. Hopefully 6 weeks off was enough for him to get to close to 100%. 

Not me. I am in the championship game and I am starting Mostert. If I didn't have him, I'd start Singletary over Conner.

Pittsburgh has been all over the place this year with Conner, Samuel, and Snell. I need someone that has a halfway reliable "floor" at this stage in the game.

52 minutes ago, Semitar said:

Not me. I am in the championship game and I am starting Mostert. If I didn't have him, I'd start Singletary over Conner.

Pittsburgh has been all over the place this year with Conner, Samuel, and Snell. I need someone that has a halfway reliable "floor" at this stage in the game.

Not only that but Buffalo has been pretty solid against the run this year. I don’t think anyone is considering that. I’m basically forced to start Conner in my league and I am expecting somewhere between 0-8 points out of him. If I had someone else I’d be starting them instead 

2 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Not only that but Buffalo has been pretty solid against the run this year. I don’t think anyone is considering that. I’m basically forced to start Conner in my league and I am expecting somewhere between 0-8 points out of him. If I had someone else I’d be starting them instead 

I am in a very similar situation.  Would you consider Washington (if Jacobs is out), Boston Scott, or Chris Thompson over him?  You see my dilemma LOL! 

Conner over Lindsay you think ?

difficult to see what steelers do with Conner today against Buffalo, big defense

I can’t do it. That Browns game where he re-aggravated the injury on his first carry was a traumatic experience.

I think I can make it to the finals without Conner. If he’s still healthy after the Bills game I’ll start him next week.