joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, knifeparty said:

I am in a very similar situation.  Would you consider Washington (if Jacobs is out), Boston Scott, or Chris Thompson over him?  You see my dilemma LOL! 

I don’t think Jacobs is out. I think he is in and will play for as long as he doesn’t worsen injury or feel a lot of pain. He’s played through it. I believe he will play through pain, as he has, and at least get me 8 points, with an upside of 20.

Conners is worse because separated shoulder is worse than fracture shoulder blade. Conner may not have full dexterity after six weeks even. And it is more likely if he hits someone, it could reinsure and inflame that ac joint. I doubt he will be preferred receiving back due to low dexterity. So he is risky first and second down back. And for driving a pile they may opt to avoid trucking and use back up. So I am low on Conner this week until we see something.

I have all three and my rankings would be Jacobs, Conner, then Washington. 

I think Chris Thompson is a decent play. If you are ppr it is even better.

Edited by PizzaBeerFF
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, knifeparty said:

I am in a very similar situation.  Would you consider Washington (if Jacobs is out), Boston Scott, or Chris Thompson over him?  You see my dilemma LOL! 

Even though Josh Jacobs is going to suit up today I still like Washington today over Connor. He should be able to get 15ish touches and his matchup is the best out of these two. Chris Thompson is trash btw he's no different than Tarik Cohen. Garbage!

*Edit that Thompson comment is assuming it's a standard league if you get an Entire Point just for catching 2 yard passes I guess he has more value than I gave him credit for. Use your judgement he should be involved in the 2 yard dump off game just as much as last week 

Edited by Cdub2k
Chris Thompson note
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Even though Josh Jacobs is going to suit up today I still like Washington today over Connor. He should be able to get 15ish touches and his matchup is the best out of these two. Chris Thompson is trash btw he's no different than Tarik Cohen. Garbage!

15 touches with Jacobs starting today? What’s his game high this season with Jacobs playing the entire game??

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

15 touches with Jacobs starting today? What’s his game high this season with Jacobs playing the entire game??

I'm basing this off of his re injury concern. I don't believe Gruden is going to give the kid 25 touches when it's obvious he has shoulder issues. Issues that just don't go away with a mere 7 days rest. 

Who’s rolling him out for the ship? I feel like I may be the only Conner owner who made it this far, but he put up a good line last week, apparently made it through without setbacks, and should be able to take on more work for Week 16. Would be great if he finally paid off with a ceiling game to make up for that Browns game.

1 hour ago, eg4190 said:

Who’s rolling him out for the ship? I feel like I may be the only Conner owner who made it this far, but he put up a good line last week, apparently made it through without setbacks, and should be able to take on more work for Week 16. Would be great if he finally paid off with a ceiling game to make up for that Browns game.

You'd have to be an idiot not to start Conner this week

26 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

You'd have to be an idiot not to start Conner this week

He had been out or unable to finish a game since Week 8. It is fair to still have very real concerns about his shoulder. 

If you have safer options and are not relying on a Connor ceiling game, considering other options might be the prudent play. 

3 hours ago, Grayson2401 said:

He had been out or unable to finish a game since Week 8. It is fair to still have very real concerns about his shoulder. 

If you have safer options and are not relying on a Connor ceiling game, considering other options might be the prudent play. 

If you drafted Conner in the top 2 rounds, it's highly unlikely you have a better option at flex. He was already eased in against the Bills, and he was clearly the most dynamic player on that offense. When he's unlimited, they ride him all the way. One of the best run schemes and O lines in the game, against a bad team, and he's the focal point of the offense... Far more reward than risk. But hey, don't let me stop anyone. Bench at your own risk. 

On 12/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, the_dying_dream said:

Buy low in dynasty if you can..guy is still a stud

I wouldn't touch w/10-foot pole in Dynasty. I see the complete opposite - what we suspected last year but couldn't quite put our finger on has materialized in spades this year: he can't take the pounding to be a franchise 3-down runner in this league. If you don't think the Steelers are replacing him next year either through draft or FA you're nuts.

• Haha 1

[...] I'm probably rolling him out there. I'm not as worried about his injury as I am about how incompetent his qb is, how putrid his offense is, and the fact that one of the few things the Jets have been consistently good at is stopping the run (#2 in rushing ypg allowed in the NFL). I will probably start him and I am will probably not be excited about that. Hoping for a ton of touches, a quantity over quality game.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 12/18/2019 at 4:35 PM, Uncle_Ruckus said:

If you drafted Conner in the top 2 rounds, it's highly unlikely you have a better option at flex. He was already eased in against the Bills, and he was clearly the most dynamic player on that offense. When he's unlimited, they ride him all the way. One of the best run schemes and O lines in the game, against a bad team, and he's the focal point of the offense... Far more reward than risk. But hey, don't let me stop anyone. Bench at your own risk. 

The James Connor we drafted in the top 2 rounds is not the same James Connor we have today. He was mostly mediocre this season with Big Ben and this offense looks completely different with no Ben, no AB, and a banged up JuJu. This does not even take into account that Connor himself is not 100% and we are not even sure if he will see his typical volume or not. 

There are a lot of options teams might have with the likes of Boone, Washington, AP type players (possibly) getting RB1 type volume. Sure Connor has the most talent and likely offers the most upside, but he might also be just one hit away from giving you a '0' in your championship. 

If you are an underdog, I think Connor is probably the better play. If not, going a different direction might not be a bad idea. 

Anyone rolling him out? Sure has been a whirlwind, but if he can play the whole game I’d have to believe he gets close to his 16-17pt PPR average, no? Full week of full practices, no reports of any lingering issues from last week.

Have had this guy for 2 years now in 3 player keeper league. This is the 4th time this dude leaves the game with an injury, in title game to boot. Not keeping him. Too injury prone. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gryfter said:

Ryan Mathews 2.0.

They even look similar.

Very true.  Somebody will fall for Conner next year just like everybody did with Mathews.   Disappointment will follow.

38 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Very true.  Somebody will fall for Conner next year just like everybody did with Mathews.   Disappointment will follow.

Many, my self included fell in love with both Mathews and Conners second seasons.

Edited by Gryfter

2 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Many, my self included fell in love with both Mathews and Conners second seasons.

I fell for Mathews multiple times.  Lol.  Seemed like such a great value in fourth to sixth round.  Have a feeling Conner will fell same way.  Hopefully Pit drafts or signs somebody.  To save everybody from the disappointment.

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

I fell for Mathews multiple times.  Lol.  Seemed like such a great value in fourth to sixth round.  Have a feeling Conner will fell same way.  Hopefully Pit drafts or signs somebody.  To save everybody from the disappointment.

I've grabbed Mathews earlier than 4th round, esp in 2012; took him in the first round, LOL.

Thing is, both were/is on supposed good offenses. Well, for Conner, before Big Ben got hurt.

1 minute ago, Gryfter said:

I've grabbed Mathews earlier than 4th round, esp in 2012; took him in the first round, LOL.

Thing is, both were/is on supposed good offenses. Well, for Conner, before Big Ben got hurt.

Lol same here.  Was talking about the other years after a swore I would never draft him again.  Same thing I could see happening with Conner.

13 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Lol same here.  Was talking about the other years after a swore I would never draft him again.  Same thing I could see happening with Conner.

Depends on the QB situation and if Pitts decides to draft an RB in April.

No one will touch Conner next year. He's on an entirely different level than even most injury prone guys. He can't even finish games these days - so you're worried about starting him even when he's healthy. It's unfortunate because he was a beast last year, and quite productive this year. But bottom line, if you're running a team do you have the least bit of confidence that he's gonna stay healthy? They'll definitely draft (or trade for) someone. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:22 AM, the_dying_dream said:

Buy low in dynasty if you can..guy is still a stud

I don't know about that. Steelers would be crazy not to bring in a back in FA. He is injury prone.