joebaker23

James Conner 2019 Outlook

I dumped him off my team. I hope someone picks him up and wastes one of their keeper slots on him. 

42 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Another one year wonder ? 

I think so. We saw signs of his fragility last year. Even though he played 13-14 games he was a staple on the injury report beginning in week 3 or so. He was questionable going into many of those games.

He wasn't quite so lucky this year. And when he has actually been able to play Tomlin made him a committee back because that's exactly what he is imo.

On 12/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Easy DND next year. These injury prone guys usually don’t change, always dealing with something. But I didn’t draft Aaron Williams for that reason and it burned me.

he is at the top of my dnd list. pitt would be wise to go after a rb in free agency or the draft.

Edited by affliction

6 hours ago, affliction said:

he is at the top of my dnd list. pitt would be wise to go after a rb in free agency or the draft.

They’d be wise to go with a committee approach too. The volume given to Mike Tomlin’s lead RB is always insane. Too bad Connor couldn’t handle it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

They’d be wise to go with a committee approach too. The volume given to Mike Tomlin’s lead RB is always insane. Too bad Connor couldn’t handle it.

As long as Tomlin is coach they'll try finding someone who can

If PIT spends high on a RB in the draft you, I and your brother will be all over that.

• Like 1

Really hope they move on from Conner or just keep him as a backup, great kid, story etc...but not our man. I'd love to see Steelers make moves to bring Bell back, hes no good to the Jets, here he has a chance to make a difference.  Get bell back, draft a higher end WR this year and look to get a new QB to hone the following year 

2 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Really hope they move on from Conner or just keep him as a backup, great kid, story etc...but not our man. I'd love to see Steelers make moves to bring Bell back, hes no good to the Jets, here he has a chance to make a difference.  Get bell back, draft a higher end WR this year and look to get a new QB to hone the following year 

It could be easier said than done. I did some digging as to what PIT's situation is offseason and it's not great. This is from John Newman on Fansided:

Without a first-round draft pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers will have to make the most of their five draft picks, plus whatever compensatory picks they are likely to gain. With 23 Free agents in 2020 along with a paltry $5.4 million in cap space per Spotrac Colbert will have to be smart about which players to bring on board in the 2020 NFL draft. The Pittsburgh Steelers will also need to make some tough decisions about which Free Agents to re-sign and which players they will need to cut loose.

Their picks as of now are:

• No 1st rd pick (questionable Minkah Fitzpatrick move)
  • 1 2nd rd
  • 3rd rd compensatory (LeBell)
  • 2 4th rd
  • 1 6th
  • 1 7th

This is ugly. Combine that with only $5.4M to work with the Steelers have their work cut out. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Conner is freaking good. I got burned by him this season as well, but not due to his talent. He torn his acl in college and I believe that's it for major injuries(aside from this year where the coaching staff rushed him back). When I judge players, I first grade them off talent and Conner has it. Bad year? Yes. Selling low? Absolutely not. And they are definitely not bringing Bell back. They have way too many other holes. "Keep him as a backup?" lmao If he continues to be injury prone, i could see him getting less carries per game, but he is too good to be riding a backup spot. 

Edited by the_dying_dream
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, the_dying_dream said:

Conner is freaking good. I got burned by him this season as well, but not due to his talent. He torn his acl in college and I believe that's it for major injuries(aside from this year where the coaching staff rushed him back). When I judge players, I first grade them off talent and Conner has it. Bad year? Yes. Selling low? Absolutely not. And they are definitely not bringing Bell back. They have way too many other holes. "Keep him as a backup?" lmao If he continues to be injury prone, i could see him getting less carries per game, but he is too good to be riding a backup spot. 

Agree for sure that he shouldn't be usurped as the starter..he is very good when hes rolling...but disagree on the injury front.  Guy will be a ticking time bomb to whoever drafts him too early.  I dumped him (albeit irrationally) and emotionally after that TNF dud.  But he did torpedo the team that picked him up immediately with another injury aided dud and killed them around ff playoff time..  Kinda like Cook this year..if you avoid him and he finally delivers, oh well so be it, you only followed the trend and solid data available to you.  But if you draft him with his habitual history of leaving you high and dry and he leaves you high and dry.......hard to not kick yourself there.

Edited by CletisVanDamme

Steelers go as Big Ben goes. If Ben is healthy and ready to roll next year its a Huge upgrade for JuJu and Conner obviuosly and I think they do well. 

43 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Steelers go as Big Ben goes. If Ben is healthy and ready to roll next year its a Huge upgrade for JuJu and Conner obviuosly and I think they do well. 

Let's just hope he stays healthy I guess. With their offseason limitations as I illustrated above the Steelers are in a very tight window. Rudolph and Hodges are hot garbage so back to the drawing board there as well. How are they plugging all these holes - don't see it barring major crazy moves going on.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Easy DND next year. These injury prone guys usually don’t change, always dealing with something. But I didn’t draft Aaron Williams for that reason and it burned me.

Right, add him to the DND injury prone list with guys like Dalvin Cook, Aaron Jones, Cooper Kupp, Keenan Allen, Leonard Fournette, Allen Robinson, John Brown, Deshaun Watson, etc. Once guys get labelled injury prone, they never pan out. 

Seriously though, I can't think more than a couple elite level players who have gotten the label of injury prone, and wound up injured year after year. 

It's the damn NFL, everyone gets hurt. You should take the discount every time a guy gets labelled injury prone. 

• Thanks 1

I don't doubt conners talent a bit, but the kid just doesn't offer stability in the backfield. I know anyone can get hurt but there are some guys that are simply hurt more than others. Hes a great talent but I don't feel he can sustain being the rb1 year in and out. 

Staying away from this guy going forward. He's definitely got the talent and he looks really good when he's on the field. Too bad he can't make it through a game without getting dinged up. 

53 minutes ago, Edgeraid said:

Staying away from this guy going forward. He's definitely got the talent and he looks really good when he's on the field. Too bad he can't make it through a game without getting dinged up. 

I'm not joking, this is the worst strategy in fantasy football. 

See my post above for some examples of "DND, he's always hurt" guys from years past. 

21 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

See my post above for some examples of "DND, he's always hurt" guys from years past. 

Maybe he's not a DND but he will need a significant discount for me to consider picking him, maybe somewhere around the 50-60 range but I expect he goes way before this.

This could be similar to Fournette, I did not expect that guy to ever last a full season but he pulled it off this year. You never know but I just tend to stay away from injury prone guys.  

Takes the rushing title next year.

Lock it up.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Maybe he's not a DND but he will need a significant discount for me to consider picking him, maybe somewhere around the 50-60 range but I expect he goes way before this.

This could be similar to Fournette, I did not expect that guy to ever last a full season but he pulled it off this year. You never know but I just tend to stay away from injury prone guys.  

But why? Can you list multiple elite talents who got labelled injury prone at a young age and then were guys who ended up getting hurt every year. I can think of dozens of guys who overcame the label, but basically no one who deserved it. 

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

But why? Can you list multiple elite talents who got labelled injury prone at a young age and then were guys who ended up getting hurt every year. I can think of dozens of guys who overcame the label, but basically no one who deserved it. 

It's just strategy and it has worked for me. I can name a lot of players I avoided this year because of injury history and it worked out, it goes both ways - Conner, Watkins, Fuller, Edelman (useless down the stretch), Alshon,  Kerryon, Engram to name a few. Sure i missed out on guys like Kupp, Aaron Jones, Fournette but I just thought they were too risky for their draft price.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I should have caveated that I had him a short bench league and he's not worth the hassle because I can't afford to roster Samuels and Snell or whoever the committee RBs are going to be until one separates from the pack. Carrying 2-3 Steelers RBs was pointless this year because they all sucked when Conner was out and cost me opportunities at other WW pick ups. 

Also, for the right price then why not. But I won't take him before the 4th round. 

Edited by Edgeraid

I understand the arguments in his favor but he's flat out not able to physically be a franchise back. Seemingly benign "average contact" plays (the non-obvious injury plays) have him wincing, lying on the ground and barely able to get up and this has been the case since he took over the gig. His frequent injuries and his body language after normal physical contact do not inspire confidence and I'm out - running away - in dynasty. 

You own a guy in dynasty, you tilt everything in his favor because you know you're on the line for carrying him for a long time. Even with this bias in his favor in my mind he's out of the league entirely in 3 years or less because of the pain the game causes him. Obviously this is pure speculation but for my part I'm banking on it.

37 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I understand the arguments in his favor but he's flat out not able to physically be a franchise back. Seemingly benign "average contact" plays (the non-obvious injury plays) have him wincing, lying on the ground and barely able to get up and this has been the case since he took over the gig. His frequent injuries and his body language after normal physical contact do not inspire confidence and I'm out - running away - in dynasty. 

You own a guy in dynasty, you tilt everything in his favor because you know you're on the line for carrying him for a long time. Even with this bias in his favor in my mind he's out of the league entirely in 3 years or less because of the pain the game causes him. Obviously this is pure speculation but for my part I'm banking on it.

I’m with you 100%. He was recently traded in my dynasty league for a 2020 1st(turned out to be the 1.05) and a 2020 2nd. I cringed when I saw that come through. 

• Like 1