thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Drake looks like the better RB

There, I said it.

Of course he looks like the better rb right now because DJ is injured and Drake has only played 1 game for Arizona.  Wait until DJ is healthy before passing judgment.

Edited by sjm76

25 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Of course he looks like the better rb right now because DJ is injured and Drake has only played 1 game for Arizona.  Wait until DJ is healthy before passing judgment.

Why?

Has DJ not been healthy all season?

Drake had a better game than DJ has had all season and only 3 days after being traded 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Why?

Drake had a better game than DJ has had all season and only 3 days after being traded 

Do you expect a split of some sort 60/40? I feel like they'll both be viable in PPR off catches but hamper each other carries wise solid floors but ceilings capped... 

Edited by CroNY

48 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Why?

Johnson also showed that he can produce similar numbers when given 15 or more carries producing a 17 carries for 91 yard game and 18 carries for 82 yard game earlier in the season.  Not sure if it's because of the new offense or what but they just weren't using Johnson right.  

I know that one back will rarely get 20+ carries in Kingsbury's offense but Johnson has shown that he can be a bellcow in past years who can average 5 yards a carry if given the volume.

Edited by sjm76
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CroNY said:

Do you expect a split of some sort 60/40? I feel like they'll both be viable in PPR off catches but hamper each other carries wise solid floors but ceilings capped... 

@DerrickHenrysCleats is biased. Drake and DJ have both had 28 point games in PPR. Geaux Tigers!

tenor.gif?itemid=12512919

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My guess is that it will probably be something along the lines of a 60/40 split when Johnson is healthy.

That was his debut game. Sophomore slump incoming.

Drake got game, but he is NO David Johnson. 

y’all crazy to think that. Seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthorityHere said:

I do believe he'll cede 8-12 touches to Drake.

Edmonds had 7 & 11 touches last two games DJ played a full game. DJ put up 18 and 28 in those games. He'll be fine.

Fair point, and certainly relevant to the topic we were discussing. But he's not putting up 28 point weeks anymore this season. It's not just the 70/30 split, it's that he's really banged up, and Drake actually looks better. 

16 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Fair point, and certainly relevant to the topic we were discussing. But he's not putting up 28 point weeks anymore this season. It's not just the 70/30 split, it's that he's really banged up, and Drake actually looks better. 

Let’s see how this plays out before you declare what DJ is going to do or not do.

I completely disagree that he can’t put up 28 again this season. 

People say drake was a phenomenal college athlete and was never given a proper chance to prove himself. So maybe he's really good. Wasn't Derrick Henry stuck in a similar situation? Splitting carries with other guys or playing on a bad team? Idk.

Anyway, I'm more focused on this week. What is David Johnson doing this week? Is he playing?  Too early in the week probably. Lets wait on practice reports.

31 minutes ago, ed06288 said:

People say drake was a phenomenal college athlete and was never given a proper chance to prove himself. So maybe he's really good. Wasn't Derrick Henry stuck in a similar situation? Splitting carries with other guys or playing on a bad team? Idk.

Anyway, I'm more focused on this week. What is David Johnson doing this week? Is he playing?  Too early in the week probably. Lets wait on practice reports.

Difference being Drake might actually be good. Henry is whatevs. 

6 hours ago, ed06288 said:

Ummm, dude...the post directly above yours has a quote from DJ declaring himself 100% and stating he's definitely playing. So uhh, yeah...kinda sounds like he's playing. 

Will he get carries with Kenyan Drake in the fold now?

Edited by CroNY

9 hours ago, CroNY said:

Will he get carries with Kenyan Drake in the fold now?

Will he get carries? This post implies he won’t get carries? :wacko:

• Like 1

Man, this really sucks. Bad match up (on the road), coming off an injury (two actually) and a 3 snap debacle in NY (how the hell can anyone trust Kingsbury), aaaand now Drake is in fold (who just had a blow up game against arguably one of the best run D's in the league last week). Did I leave anything out?  

Is he even flex worthy this weekend? And, I can't believe those words just came out of my fingers!

On 11/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, Squats&Milk said:

That was his debut game. Sophomore slump incoming.

Drake got game, but he is NO David Johnson. 

y’all crazy to think that. Seriously.

You may not agree, but it is hardly crazy. Since 2016 On 346 carries DJ has averaged 3.6 ypc. Since 2016 on 348 carries KD has averaged 4.6 YPC. DJ’s appeal has always been that he plays all three downs and gets GL work. It’s clear he is starting to break down. He is never gonna be the workhorse he once was. 

• Like 1

I think there will be a lot of plays with DJ and Drake both in.  DJ will be split out wide on some plays with Drake in the backfield and vice versa on other plays because that's how Kingsbury's offense is and both DJ and Drake are both talented receiving backs.  I think that both guys will have solid rb2 value in PPR but in standard, it will be tough to predict who gets the red zone td's and Chase Edmonds will also be back in the coming weeks so all 3 backs could be used then.

Edited by sjm76

It seems like he's most at risk of losing the early down, between the tackles volume. I don't think he loses many, if any, targets to Drake. I mean, DJ wasn't doing great on the ground in the first place (11 attempts/game at 3.9 YPC).

Edited by LongBalls

his value is in ppr. 7 games including the dud/no play he avg over 4 rec and 45 rec yds. with 0.5 rec td avg

that's what you call floor. 10 ppr pts from just the receiving side not including tds or rush yds.

Drake was just hyped up playing for a new team in a prime-time spot. He will level off and come back to reality.

DJ is the main guy here.

• Like 1