thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

I think the prevailing belief is that Klingsbury will be a far more competent offensive mind than McCoy.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:37 AM, simanium said:

Remember a couple years ago, when everyone said Goff was a bust (a la Rosen), the Rams had no O-Line (a la Arizona), and the Rams brought in a young offensive coach (a la Kingsbury) and Gurley had a huge bounce back year.  DJ has the same scenario here, I love his talent and will gladly take him at his second round price.

To me the difference is that we didn't really know how McVay would be as a HC. What we do know about Kingsbury, however, is that he failed as a HC in the Big 12. Does that mean he can't produce a successful offense in the NFL? We simply don't know because he's never coached in the NFL, unlike McVay, who had been an OC for the Redskins for three years prior to the Rams. I like hearing that KK wants to get the ball to DJ in creative ways, but I'm just skeptical of his ability to produce in the NFL (offense and wins). 

That said, I'm very hopeful and rooting for KK (and DJ). 

18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

'To me the difference is that we didn't really know how McVay would be as a HC. What we do know about Kingsbury, however, is that he failed as a HC in the Big 12. Does that mean he can't produce a successful offense in the NFL? We simply don't know because he's never coached in the NFL, unlike McVay, who had been an OC for the Redskins for three years prior to the Rams. I like hearing that KK wants to get the ball to DJ in creative ways, but I'm just skeptical of his ability to produce in the NFL (offense and wins). That said, I'm very hopeful and rooting for KK (and DJ)." 

The problem I had with samarium's comment was that the parallel he drew was a desired outcome, the reasoning that there are similarities on some other team (Rams). It's just me, and while the likelihood remote, I would give my unproven coach control over the position I brought him in to establish. Which of course is QB. He's had a lot of success with Mahomes, Mayfield & Manzel, guys that can run, pass & make decisions on the move. And we know that's the QB he wants at this level! All those M's, & Murray is who he wants. Seems like a no-brainer.        

Edited by markrc99

21 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

To me the difference is that we didn't really know how McVay would be as a HC. What we do know about Kingsbury, however, is that he failed as a HC in the Big 12. Does that mean he can't produce a successful offense in the NFL? We simply don't know because he's never coached in the NFL, unlike McVay, who had been an OC for the Redskins for three years prior to the Rams. I like hearing that KK wants to get the ball to DJ in creative ways, but I'm just skeptical of his ability to produce in the NFL (offense and wins). 

That said, I'm very hopeful and rooting for KK (and DJ). 

Kingsbury coached Patrick Maholmes, jakeem Grant, DeAndre washington and more at Texas Tech that made NFL rosters.  He is a good offensive mind and I'm excited to see how he can do with exceptional talent at every skill position.

Kingsbury was OC at Houston and led Case Keenum to a career year

Kingsbury also was OC for Johnny manziel in his record breaking season.

Kingsbury decided to start a walk on QB named Baker Mayfield at Texas Tech. Baker gets hurt so Davis Webb (another NFL QB) takes over for Kingsbury.

Pretty impressive list of offensive playmakers and talent. Yes, his defenses were bad but he just needs a good Day Coordinator, the guy knows how to coach offense.

33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Kingsbury coached Patrick Maholmes, jakeem Grant, DeAndre washington and more at Texas Tech that made NFL rosters.  He is a good offensive mind and I'm excited to see how he can do with exceptional talent at every skill position.

Kingsbury decided to start a walk on QB named Baker Mayfield at Texas Tech. Baker gets hurt so Davis Webb (another NFL QB) takes over for Kingsbury.

Pretty impressive list of offensive playmakers and talent. Yes, his defenses were bad but he just needs a good Day Coordinator, the guy knows how to coach offense.

But how will all that translate to the NFL. Les Miles coaches a lot of LSU players into the NFL and coached in two national championship games, winning one. But he shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL team. Dabo has become a great college coach...I can't see him succeeding in the NFL. The greatest college coach of our generation fell flat on his face at Miami. My point being...just because KK created great offenses in college and coached some very good players doesn't mean he's going to produce a good offense in the NFL. Jmo. 

Now don't get me wrong. I'm going to likely be rooting for Kingsbury to be successful. The Hunt news yesterday was not good news for this Chubb keeper league owner, so it's very likely that I'll be reaching for DJ. LOL. I'm hopeful, but I'm very skeptical. But I hope you and others do a good job of convincing me otherwise :D. 

33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

But how will all that translate to the NFL. Les Miles coaches a lot of LSU players into the NFL and coached in two national championship games, winning one. But he shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL team. Dabo has become a great college coach...I can't see him succeeding in the NFL. The greatest college coach of our generation fell flat on his face at Miami. My point being...just because KK created great offenses in college and coached some very good players doesn't mean he's going to produce a good offense in the NFL. Jmo. 

Now don't get me wrong. I'm going to likely be rooting for Kingsbury to be successful. The Hunt news yesterday was not good news for this Chubb keeper league owner, so it's very likely that I'll be reaching for DJ. LOL. I'm hopeful, but I'm very skeptical. But I hope you and others do a good job of convincing me otherwise :D

22 hours ago, markrc99 said:

The problem I had with samarium's comment was that the parallel he drew was a desired outcome, the reasoning that there are similarities on some other team (Rams). It's just me, and while the likelihood remote, I would give my unproven coach control over the position I brought him in to establish. Which of course is QB. He's had a lot of success with Mahomes, Mayfield & Manzel, guys that can run, pass & make decisions on the move. And we know that's the QB he wants at this level! All those M's, & Murray is who he wants. Seems like a no-brainer.        

Mayfield didn't get good till he transfered to Oklahoma. Not sure how much Kingsbury has to do with him.

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Mayfield didn't get good till he transfered to Oklahoma. Not sure how much Kingsbury has to do with him.

It's possible that Kingsbury laid the foundation that Riley would end up building upon. Sometimes a coach can take a player who has been coached up by someone else and then just build on that and continue to make the player better. I don't know if that happened with Mayfield or not...just saying it's possible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Now don't get me wrong. I'm going to likely be rooting for Kingsbury to be successful. The Hunt news yesterday was not good news for this Chubb keeper league owner, so it's very likely that I'll be reaching for DJ. LOL. I'm hopeful, but I'm very skeptical. But I hope you and others do a good job of convincing me otherwise :D. 

You are an LSU fan so I am sure you know that Les Miles didn't recruit any of the players he won a national championship with. That was Sabans players. 

Recruiting fell off every year after Sabans left LSU even in one of the best recruiting locations in the nation. Saban put LSU on the map and made kids want to go there and Miles tried to replicate that success. He has no eye for talent and that is proof in that no NFL team ever sniffed him as a head coaching candidate.

No way to know how Dabo would be as an NFL coach. His personality seems to fit college ball and he is a great recruiter with an obvious eye for talent but he still has a good offensive mind and I'd be interested to see how he could do if he ever got a shot.

Kliff Kingsbury was an accomplished QB himself and recruited NFL talent to Texas tech who has to compete with Texas, Texas a&m, Oklahoma, and more for all the best players in his region. TT is not a highly sought after destination and yet Kingsbury routinely put RBs and QBs and WRs into the NFL. In today's NFL it is obvious some teams are trying to replicate the success that a young guy like McVay has. Kliff has an eye for talent and knows how to create an offense that exploits other teams weaknesses. It's just an opinion but I think Kingsbury will be very good for Arizona's offense. The defense is a big question mark but they did hire a quality defensive coordinator.

Could you imagine how good LSU would have been if they had recruited a QB the caliber of Patrick Maholmes or Baker Mayfield? I'm glad LSU had Miles so we could face guys like Jordan Jefferson and Zach Mettzenberger.

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You are an LSU fan so I am sure you know that Les Miles didn't recruit any of the players he won a national championship with. That was Sabans players. 

Recruiting fell off every year after Sabans left LSU even in one of the best recruiting locations in the nation. Saban put LSU on the map and made kids want to go there and Miles tried to replicate that success. He has no eye for talent and that is proof in that no NFL team ever sniffed him as a head coaching candidate.

No way to know how Dabo would be as an NFL coach. His personality seems to fit college ball and he is a great recruiter with an obvious eye for talent but he still has a good offensive mind and I'd be interested to see how he could do if he ever got a shot.

Kliff Kingsbury was an accomplished QB himself and recruited NFL talent to Texas tech who has to compete with Texas, Texas a&m, Oklahoma, and more for all the best players in his region. TT is not a highly sought after destination and yet Kingsbury routinely put RBs and QBs and WRs into the NFL. In today's NFL it is obvious some teams are trying to replicate the success that a young guy like McVay has. Kliff has an eye for talent and knows how to create an offense that exploits other teams weaknesses. It's just an opinion but I think Kingsbury will be very good for Arizona's offense. The defense is a big question mark but they did hire a quality defensive coordinator.

Could you imagine how good LSU would have been if they had recruited a QB the caliber of Patrick Maholmes or Baker Mayfield? I'm glad LSU had Miles so we could face guys like Jordan Jefferson and Zach Mettzenberger.

I'll PM you about LSU and Miles because this is the DJ thread. But you are simply incorrect in saying Miles recruited no players he won his natty with, and you are simply incorrect in saying recruiting fell off every year under him. Saban is superior to Miles in every way as a coach, not arguing differently. But you're just incorrect on those two things.

Now to Kingsbury...I'm not going to be a believer until I actually see him create a productive offense in the NFL. I like DJ more with him there because KK is already saying he wants to get the ball to DJ in creative ways. I like hearing that. But I'm just going to be skeptical until I see otherwise. He rolled up numbers, points, and stats in a bad defensive conference. When he ran into that craptastic coach Les Miles in a bowl game in 2015, the craptastic Miles and craptastic LSU held Kingsbury's boys almost 200 yards below their season average and 19 points below their season average (entering the game). The Big 12 isn't exactly known for having great defensive minds. So while Kingsbury DOES have a great offensive mind, how is he going to perform against the defensive minds in the NFL? And how long will it take him to adjust? And how long will Arizona be patient with him as HC? 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

It's possible that Kingsbury laid the foundation that Riley would end up building upon. Sometimes a coach can take a player who has been coached up by someone else and then just build on that and continue to make the player better. I don't know if that happened with Mayfield or not...just saying it's possible. 

Yeah, might be right. I don't know enough of the situation. Either way I am a Kingsbury fan, have been since his playing days. Hope he does well/is good for DJ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Yeah, might be right. I don't know enough of the situation. Either way I am a Kingsbury fan, have been since his playing days. Hope he does well/is good for DJ.

Yeah, I don't know either...was just speculating. I don't necessarily believe that KK was the right choice to be HC of the Cards, but I'm rooting for him. My keeper draft is 6 months away, but I'm already figuring DJ will be on my roster, lol. So despite my skepticism, I'm hopeful that he does well and puts DJ in position to succeed. 

48 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, I don't know either...was just speculating. I don't necessarily believe that KK was the right choice to be HC of the Cards, but I'm rooting for him. My keeper draft is 6 months away, but I'm already figuring DJ will be on my roster, lol. So despite my skepticism, I'm hopeful that he does well and puts DJ in position to succeed. 

DJ is gonna crush it next year. Book it.

• Like 1

It's not the best hire from a team standpoint. However, it's great for DJ. A creative offensive mind is exactly what he needs. DJ is going to be a top 5 back this year. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

It's not the best hire from a team standpoint. However, it's great for DJ. A creative offensive mind is exactly what he needs. DJ is going to be a top 5 back this year. 

Agreed X100. No clue about Kliff as a HC as it relates to Cards wins. But he will be great for DJ.

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Kyler Murray to David Johnson for the TD!

Kyler Murray option to DJ .....keeps it himself 3 yard rush TD for Kyler! 

6 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Kyler Murray option to DJ .....keeps it himself 3 yard rush TD for Kyler! 

That was an awesome 75 yard screen pass from Murray to DJ to get to the 3 yard line though.

😎

No talk on DJ for a while. I'm starting to feel better and better about him, and it seems that the Cards are intent on taking Kyler with the first pick and giving up on Rosen. That has to be a bonus for DJ's 2019 prospects. 

I'm still a skeptic on Kliff kingsbury idk if he will turn  DJ into a top 5 guy again but surely he cant be worse than the last guy. But KK only produced one decent RB in his 6 years at tech(DeAndre Washington) but after him he went 3 years with out anyone getting close to 1000 yards while playing in the worst defensive conference in football. Has me second guessing DJ. 

Until or unless his O-line is corrected you can't expect a system change to be the cure. With that said you endured his floor last year.

Todd Gurleyish type rebound this year. DJ owes his owners after the crap he put us througb the past 2 years. 

8 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Todd Gurleyish type rebound this year. DJ owes his owners after the crap he put us througb the past 2 years. 

Yep, the exact key to his success- his fuel to not disappoint fantasy owners again.  WE ARE ENTITLED TO IT

• Haha 1