thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

15 hours ago, sSektor said:

This play doesn't look nearly as doom and gloom as people are making it out to be. He's moving towards the camera while waiting for a hole to develop (it never does). Are we not doing depth perception anymore?

I cant see it, but is there a piano on his back or something? He looks like he's literally 70years old there 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sSektor said:

This play doesn't look nearly as doom and gloom as people are making it out to be. He's moving towards the camera while waiting for a hole to develop (it never does). Are we not doing depth perception anymore?

Agreed, he was waiting for the hole to open. But his acceleration seemed to be lacking significantly when he did make his move.  

This guy is being dangled in one of my leagues with Drake (same owner) but I worry about his health & what it means for his touches going forward.  Plus his immediate schedule of SF & the Week 12 bye makes him even more unattractive.  There's nothing worse than a not 100% healthy RB, on a bad team, with an upside backup the coaches want to see get touches.  It screams RBBC if DJ doesn't go to IR. 

Edited by dicka24

I really don't see him as an essential hold. Drake is clearly preferred by Kingsbury right now, DJ has not looked good, they have a bye coming, and Edmonds could very well come back after it. I'd only trade for him if you're giving away next to nothing, and I'd absolutely see who's on the wire with upside ROS.

I would wait to see if they place him on IR and at least a couple more weeks before thinking about dropping DJ.  DJ just played TB which has a very tough run defense and Drake didn't do much better with his carries.  They play another tough run defense this week in SF but then the schedule opens up a bit.  I wouldn't mind if Arizona rests DJ this week to give him a chance to heal.  You can't drop him yet though, imo, unless he's placed on IR.

4 minutes ago, nflcore said:

he is on can't cut list on my league or else i would have dropped this bum long ago

BS

My logic is that he was likely the first draft pick by his owners and was therefore expected to be one of or the cornerstone of teams.  He started out strong and has definitely been a bust for the past 4 weeks or so but you can't outright cut him unless he's placed on IR.  At least give him until after this week's game and he has had time to heal to see if he can play like the DJ we've all come to know.

1 hour ago, Cord said:

I really don't see him as an essential hold. Drake is clearly preferred by Kingsbury right now, DJ has not looked good, they have a bye coming, and Edmonds could very well come back after it. I'd only trade for him if you're giving away next to nothing, and I'd absolutely see who's on the wire with upside ROS.

How do you know that Drake is "clearly preferred" by Kingsbury?  Drake only started the SF game because DJ and Chase Edmonds were out and got the most carries this past week because DJ still isn't 100% and Edmonds is still out.  See what happens when both guys are healthy before you determine which back is preferred.

Edited by sjm76

He has been running pretty slowly all year but his receiving skills are still nice for a RB so I think after the bye he can still give us good games. 

Problem is Drake is also a good receiver so DJ’s upside looks bleak. Worth a stash to see how it all shakes out...

9 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

He has been running pretty slowly all year but his receiving skills are still nice for a RB so I think after the bye he can still give us good games. 

Problem is Drake is also a good receiver so DJ’s upside looks bleak. Worth a stash to see how it all shakes out...

I just don't think that you can cut him right now, at least not yet, because he was a high first round pick in most leagues and it isn't like he's been bad all season.  He just hasn't done much the past 4 weeks mainly because he's been injured and played some tough run defenses.  You can't bail yet especially if you're in a PPR league.

Edited by sjm76

36 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

My logic is that he was likely the first draft pick by his owners and was therefore expected to be one of or the cornerstone of teams.  He started out strong and has definitely been a bust for the past 4 weeks or so but you can't outright cut him unless he's placed on IR.  At least give him until after this week's game and he has had time to heal to see if he can play like the DJ we've all come to know.

The DJ I have come to know has averaged 3.6 yards a carry the last 3 years. 

10 minutes ago, HBEACH said:

The DJ I have come to know has averaged 3.6 yards a carry the last 3 years. 

That's true but when he's healthy, he's still a solid rb1/rb2 in PPR.  That's what I meant.  He also played behind some bad Cardinals offensive lines.  RB's with less talent would have averaged even less.

19 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

That's true but when he's healthy, he's still a solid rb1/rb2 in PPR.  That's what I meant.  He also played behind some bad Cardinals offensive lines.  RB's with less talent would have averaged even less.

I could buy that if he was healthy and a 3 down back he would have some value, unfortunately not sure that will ever happen again. Drake has averaged 4.7 yards a carry during that same span and he wasn’t playing behind a great line either. 

I fell in love with DJ during his second season and have owned him across multiple leagues the next few seasons despite him being a let down. He was probably my favorite player outside of my own team during his career. My point is, I have followed DJ very closely. 

It's fascinating to me how much crap Gurley has gotten over this season for being not the same when this applies even more to DJ and is significantly more noticable. After that wrist injury, he hasn't looked like the DJ of his dominant year. Now, I don't know if I would chalk it up to that injury. In fact, I would bet it is not because of it because it makes little sense but it doesn't change the reality of him being different. Maybe he got paid but something has been off.

During his rookie year and second year, he had a second gear (similar to a guy like Chubb) and was able to dominate in large part due to this. He was also incredible at making guys miss. He also had one of the smoothest games in the NFL in terms of how he ran the ball. Now, that is all gone. He is 47th out of 47th qualifying RBs in broken tackles percentage. That second gear is nowhere to be seen and because of this instead of his game looking smooth it just looks extremely methodical which is not good. I understand that the line last year was bad and the play calling was awful but watching him play the DJ of old was just not there. It's just the sad reality at this point. 

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Do the Cardinals and Drake's fantasy outlook a favor and fade yourself, David.

Drake isn't much better, if at all.  He couldn't even get the starting gig all to himself when he was with Miami.  What makes you think that he'll take the starting job all to himself and make Johnson completely irrelevant now that he's with Arizona?  Drake had one good game.  One.

Edited by sjm76
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Drake isn't much better, if at all.  He couldn't even get the starting gig all to himself when he was with Miami.  What makes you think that he'll take the starting job all to himself and make Johnson completely irrelevant now that he's with Arizona?  Drake had one good game.  One.

He's not. Absolute worst case scenario this develops into a 60/40 split. Unless Johnson is hurt, then it's the Kenyan Drake show. 

3 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Ok, guess we can watch and see how it plays out. Drake looks more explosive already and has been with the cards for 2 whole weeks

Just now, jmcampbe11 said:

He's not. Absolute worst case scenario this develops into a 60/40 split. Unless Johnson is hurt, then it's the Kenyan Drake show. 

That's what I'm thinking.  When DJ is healthy, I think it's something along the lines of a 60/40 or 50/50 split and they will go with the hot hand after that.

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ok, guess we can watch and see how it plays out. Drake looks more explosive already and has been with the cards for 2 whole weeks

That's because DJ is injured.

2 hours ago, HBEACH said:

I could buy that if he was healthy and a 3 down back he would have some value, unfortunately not sure that will ever happen again. Drake has averaged 4.7 yards a carry during that same span and he wasn’t playing behind a great line either. 

Wouldn’t be an RB thread without the kitchen sink being thrown at YPC

45 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Wouldn’t be an RB thread without the kitchen sink being thrown at YPC

I hate the YPC argument so damn much. So much factors into it and almost everytime people just flat out ignore key factors.

19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I hate the YPC argument so damn much. So much factors into it and almost everytime people just flat out ignore key factors.

Probably because seeing these key factors would involve watching the game and not basing judgement solely off box score and eye candy stats.