thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, sSektor said:

Probably because seeing these key factors would involve watching the game and not basing judgement solely off box score and eye candy stats.

Clearly your not watching the games if you think DJ is a better runner than Drake. This is a fantasy forum box score is what counts. 

Edited by HBEACH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBEACH said:

Clearly your not watching the games if you think DJ is a better runner than Drake. This is a fantasy forum box score is what counts. 

That statement wasn't directed at this situation just in general about fantasy RBs.

2 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Yikes, what a fall from grace. Just shut the dude down and let him get healthy.

Well, at least his financial future is secure. They owe him a ton of money still to be a backup. Even if they cut him.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sSektor said:

That statement wasn't directed at this situation just in general about fantasy RBs.

Well mine was, after all this is a David Johnson thread isn’t it?  I guess I misinterpreted the point of this forum. He’s done. 

• Haha 1

None of this makes a damn bit of sense. If he is hurt fine then he should be listed on the injury report. If not then how is he know the back up? I know he is getting older but no way he should be backing up Drake. Did he forget how to play football?? I cant believe he is playing this poorly all of a sudden if it is not injury related. I mean he wasn't rushing for 100yds every game but considering the OL he was producing. Something just isn't right here. Doesn't the team HAVE TO disclose if a player is injured??

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

None of this makes a damn bit of sense. If he is hurt fine then he should be listed on the injury report. If not then how is he know the back up? I know he is getting older but no way he should be backing up Drake. Did he forget how to play football?? I cant believe he is playing this poorly all of a sudden if it is not injury related. I mean he wasn't rushing for 100yds every game but considering the OL he was producing. Something just isn't right here. Doesn't the team HAVE TO disclose if a player is injured??

Well it is telling that two of the best rushing games the Cardinals have had this season are from players NOT named David Johnson. If we're being honest he was being outplayed by Edmonds prior to Drake, and now in a small sample size Drake has outperformed DJ.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

I Just think Kingsbury and the Cardinals organization hate fantasy football....only logical explanation.

At 3-6 they also seem to hate winning. I'd be amazed if Kingsbury lasts more than two years. 

29 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

He's just not good dude. Even in his prime he wasn't particularly dynamic as a runner. He got by with heavy volume on the ground, high TDs in an elite offense, and elite receiving skills. Now that he's lost a step, he essentially provides nothing on the ground, and good receiving skills but with poor athleticism. He's a solid backup but no longer the answer at the most easily replaceable position in the league.

3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

At 3-6 they also seem to hate winning. I'd be amazed if Kingsbury lasts more than two years. 

I was/am as skeptical of Kingsbury (who had just been fired by Texas freaking Tech and had a losing record) and Murray (1 year of exposure in an offense that's made 3 straight QBs at least look like superstars) as anybody... but 3-6 is actually not bad.

They have little ro no talent on defense or their offensive line, but they've been much more competitive than I expected. 

DJ looked sluggish in the preseason.  I was hoping he just needed to warm up as the season went along.  Looks like he might've lost his explosiveness though, which is crazy because he's not that old and the injury hes coming back from was a broken wrist.

Dunno what happened with him.  Maybe he snaps out of it next year, or maybe he was just a flash in the pan

2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

He's just not good dude. Even in his prime he wasn't particularly dynamic as a runner. He got by with heavy volume on the ground, high TDs in an elite offense, and elite receiving skills. Now that he's lost a step, he essentially provides nothing on the ground, and good receiving skills but with poor athleticism. He's a solid backup but no longer the answer at the most easily replaceable position in the league.

They used to call him a cyborg.

Dude was ridiculously athletic. 

Obviously, that doesn't seem to be true anymore - but he was a beast

4 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Even in his prime he wasn't particularly dynamic as a runner.

What kind of revisionist BS is this? He had great vision and made good jump cuts for someone his size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

What kind of revisionist BS is this? He had great vision and made good jump cuts for someone his size.

He was good, don't get me wrong, but he was never on the same level as a runner as guys like CMC, Barkley, Chubb, Cook, Kamara, etc. are today. He could take a pounding, no doubt, but his pure running ability was closer to above average than elite. His combination of above average running and elite receiving is what made him who he was. Now that he has lost a step, he has slipped from above average runner to replaceable talent. It's a fine line in the NFL.

Edited by MJJ28

14 minutes ago, sSektor said:

LOL, exactly. Plus you don't get 2000 all-purpose yards being a plodder. It's a shame he got that injury because people constantly disrespect the player he was prior to it. He was one of the best dual-threat RBs I've seen. And the thing about Kingsbury is he isn't even using DJ like a receiver. Even with his current problems he can still catch just fine. It's not like their receiving corps is so great that they couldn't use him.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 2

Just now, BeefDaddy said:

boys the lack of faith here is nuts! DJ will come out the gate fresh for fantasy playoffs when we need him

Problem is making the playoffs with all the goose eggs he's been providing.

10 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

LOL, exactly. Plus you don't get 2000 all-purpose yards being a plodder. It's a shame he got that injury because people constantly disrespect the player he was prior too it. He was one of the best dual-threat RBs I've seen. And the thing about Kingsbury is he isn't even using DJ like a receiver. Even with his current problems he can still catch just fine. It's not like their receiving corps is so great that they couldn't use him.

I don't think anyone accused him of being a plodder? He obviously was one of the best dual threat RBs, but his skills were definitely slanted more towards receiving than running. He was like Carson + elite receiving. He was an elite, top-2 receiver at the position, and a very good, but not incredible runner. Now he is a JAG runner, and a good receiver, like countless other RBs in the league.

Edited by MJJ28

7 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I don't think anyone accused him of being a plodder? He obviously was one of the best dual threat RBs, but his skills were definitely slanted more towards receiving than running. He was like Carson + elite receiving. He was an elite, top-2 receiver at the position, and a very good, but not incredible runner. Now he is a JAG runner, and a good receiver, like countless other RBs in the league.

For a 1 or 2 year period, he was the best athlete in the league at the position, and arguably period.

That doesn't speak to his vision, but he was an elite back.

I'm disappointed we probably won't get the chance to see him go after a 1k/1k rushing/receiving season anymore 

9 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

For a 1 or 2 year period, he was the best athlete in the league at the position, and arguably period.

That doesn't speak to his vision, but he was an elite back.

I'm disappointed we probably won't get the chance to see him go after a 1k/1k rushing/receiving season anymore 

I don't disagree with that, but I think that speaks more to the lack of talent at the position in the league at the time than anything else. RB was a total wasteland back then. I loved the guy, but he just flat out wasn't as good on the ground as guys like Barkley, Chubb, Cook, Zeke, CMC, Kamara, prime Gurley + are today. Jordan Howard was the 2nd leading rusher DJ's 2k season for Christ's sake (DJ was 7th).

Edited by MJJ28

13 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I don't disagree with that, but I think that speaks more to the lack of talent at the position in the league at the time than anything else. RB was a total wasteland back then. I loved the guy, but he just flat out wasn't as good on the ground as guys like Barkley, Chubb, Cook, Zeke, CMC, Kamara, prime Gurley + are today. Jordan Howard was the 2nd leading rusher DJ's 2k season for Christ's sake (DJ was 7th).

Hmm

I wanted to dispute this, so I went to pro football reference to look up the 2016 rushing leaders...

It didn't go well.  Not sure you're right about DJ, but you're definitely right about the RBs that year.

1. Zeke

2. Jordan Howard

3. DeMarco Murray

4. Ajayi

5. Bell

6. McCoy

7. DJ

8. Blount's

9. Freeman

10. Lamar Miller

Mark Ingram and Frank Gore were the only other 1,000+ yard rushers, with Gordon and Hyde coming close.

Yikes!