thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

What are your thoughts on DJ playing with Murray?

I think

- DJs biggest problem is not his QB (but the O-line)

- Kyler will be fine for passes to DJ

- With Kyler being a running threat himself, I think defenses will stack the box a bit more, so that would hurt his running game a bit

- I expect a new QB to struggle a bit the first couple games. 

all in all for this season I would say a slight downgrade over optimal situations, but still an improvement over Rosen.

Edited by Boudewijn

Interesting points. I think if the Cards can improve their line and if Murray doesn’t totally ignore checking down (like Rosen did), DJ will have a good year. Just depends how quickly they can put together an effective offense with new players and new coach (coming from college). Might be too early to expect a lot this year. But I like DJ in ppr. this year. 

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

I think

- DJs biggest problem is not his QB (but the O-line)

- Kyler will be fine for passes to DJ

- With Kyler being a running threat himself, I think defenses will stack the box a bit more, so that would hurt his running game a bit

- I expect a new QB to struggle a bit the first couple games. 

all in all for this season I would say a slight downgrade over optimal situations, but still an improvement over Rosen.

DJs biggest problem is not his o-line.

DJ doesn't have any offensive coaches with NFL experience (DC has 10 years DB, 1 year DC, and 2 years HC experience.  He sucked as a HC, surprise.  He a DBs coach.  HC wasn't a very good college HC?  OC was a QB coach for 1 year?  I don't get it.  This team is a mess.).  All the holes on the offensive line are still there, and they replaced a rookie QB with a NEW rookie QB.  Yeah, no. 1-15?  Suggs is from Arizona and got them to pay his retirement relocation.  That's their only off-season move that makes any sense.

1. Hire new management with little to no experience. 

2. Fire new management with little to no experience.  

3. Hire new management with little to no experience.

4. Expect different results.

I'm a Browns fan.  *This* doesn't work.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jmausen said:

DJs biggest problem is not his o-line.

DJ doesn't have any offensive coaches with NFL experience (DC has 10 years DB, 1 year DC, and 2 years HC experience.  He sucked as a HC, surprise.  He a DBs coach.  HC wasn't a very good college HC?  OC was a QB coach for 1 year?  I don't get it.  This team is a mess.).  All the holes on the offensive line are still there, and they replaced a rookie QB with a NEW rookie QB.  Yeah, no. 1-15?  Suggs is from Arizona and got them to pay his retirement relocation.  That's their only off-season move that makes any sense.

1. Hire new management with little to no experience. 

2. Fire new management with little to no experience.  

3. Hire new management with little to no experience.

4. Expect different results.

I'm a Browns fan.  *This* doesn't work.  

You already said all that. Just don't draft him. No big deal.

I like the thought of DJ being an elite fantasy prospect given his volume potential but hard to ignore that the Cards sucked last season, the new HC is is radical choice for a revamp, the oline has not been improved, the wr room is very young and inexperienced  and the QB is a short rookie who has to adjust to big and fast NFL defenses. 

Rb's rarely become studs on crappy teams

I would prefer to take Mixon over DJ or even Bell

Edited by dashoe

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

because the bengals and jets are well-managed, well-rounded, juggernaut teams?

The-Simpsons-The-Mysterious-Voyage-of-Ou

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I like the thought of DJ being an elite fantasy prospect given his volume potential but hard to ignore that the Cards sucked last season, the new HC is is radical choice for a revamp, the oline has not been improved, the wr room is very young and inexperienced  and the QB is a short rookie who has to adjust to big and fast NFL defenses. 

Yea I had these same fears but alot of ppl compare him to Todd gurely with jeff Fischer to todd with mcvay. Seems like to easy a comparison but it has put delusions of grandeur in my mind. 

30 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

because the bengals and jets are well-managed, well-rounded, juggernaut teams?

The-Simpsons-The-Mysterious-Voyage-of-Ou

bengals + Jets have QB's with NFL experiece vs Cards with a rookie. Also I would argue bengals+Jets have better talent than the Cards.

Still the best rb in the league imo(maybe SB after this year), but once again has a bottom 5 OL. Maybe the coach will let him catch passes this year though. Who knows. Still my guy, but bad situation

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Still the best rb in the league imo(maybe SB after this year), but once again has a bottom 5 OL. Maybe the coach will let him catch passes this year though. Who knows. Still my guy, but bad situation

You objectivly think DJ is better than Saquan? Crazy. They are both awesome but Saquan does everything DJ does slightly better and is a just better talent.

4 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

To each is their own. Saquon is probably the general consensus today. However if I had my choice of any rb in the league... I'd take Derrick henry. I'm a sucker for those huge guys that just bulldoze. But theres probably 10-15 guys better for fantasy. DJ is certainly one of em

On 4/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, Boudewijn said:

I think

I thought it was a pretty universal truth that a running QB helps his RB rather than hurt. Doesn't the defense spy the QB, letting the RB have more freedom?

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2018/6/29/17492908/the-effect-of-mobile-quarterbacks-on-running-back-success

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

To each is their own. Saquon is probably the general consensus today. However if I had my choice of any rb in the league... I'd take Derrick henry. I'm a sucker for those huge guys that just bulldoze. But theres probably 10-15 guys better for fantasy. DJ is certainly one of em

I like your initial choice

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

Saquan and Henry weigh the same and Saquan is 3 inches shorter. He can for sure bulldoze with the best of em.

20 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Saquan and Henry weigh the same and Saquan is 3 inches shorter. He can for sure bulldoze with the best of em.

Barkley weighs 250?

It's ok to be wrong once in a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I thought henry weighed in at 247lbs and saquon was 233lbs. Granted that's more than enough to be a bulldozer. 

5 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

You objectivly think DJ is better than Saquan? Crazy. They are both awesome but Saquan does everything DJ does slightly better and is a just better talent.

I had a big post Typed out about how saquan was in a better situation etc, but the more I thought about it the more I think I agree with you

5 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I thought henry weighed in at 247lbs and saquon was 233lbs. Granted that's more than enough to be a bulldozer. 

I just googles quick and there was a 5 pound difference. But the inches make up for the weight anyhow. They are both very very strong men that I would not like to be standing in front of as the run.

2 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

I had a big post Typed out about how saquan was in a better situation etc, but the more I thought about it the more I think I agree with you

Yeah I mean in a hypotherical scenario where you had ro draft a team from scratch to win the SB this year, I think Saquan is the correct player to pick at RB over DJ. Im hoping to end up with DJ on all my teams this year; not a slight on him. Saquan is just on another level imo.

• Like 1

Not sure he gets back to 2016 stats this year, but I do think it's a bounce back season for him. The last coaching staff just had no clue how to properly use him and no talent (outside of Fitz) around him. 

JMHO...

Did cards upgrade o line at all this offseason? Their whole draft was skill positions if I recall correctly. 

But the biggest thing here is will DJ be used correctly? If yes, he should be a good value, if not, well, last year is his floor

Kliff kingsbury said he wants to stretch the defense sideline to sideline. He drafted the guys to do it. Hard to stack the box with Isabella and kirk stretching the defense wide and Fitzgerald and keesean Johnson working in the middle. I'm sure that will spread the defense a little thin and allow Murray and DJ some pretty big running lanes despite the noticeable lack of an elite OL.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Did cards upgrade o line at all this offseason? Their whole draft was skill positions if I recall correctly. 

But the biggest thing here is will DJ be used correctly? If yes, he should be a good value, if not, well, last year is his floor

if DJ's 2018 stats are his floor ----- 258 carries / 941 yards / 7 TDs // 76 targets / 50 rec. / 446 yards / 3 TDs ----

seems a steal in round 2, and fair value+ at his 1.07 ADP (half-PPR).

offensive line improvement includes a 6th round center, 7th round o-tackle, players who seem more like afterthoughts. for my money, the cardinals should have taken an a solid offensive lineman in round 2 and forgone the andy isabella pick. i like isabella, but taking him and hakeem butler seems overkill when kirk did a decent job last year and showed promise (despite the different profiles of isabella and butler). maybe the cards just figured who needs an o-line when the QB is so good at scrambling and rushing.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:04 AM, The G Man said:

Not sure he gets back to 2016 stats this year, but I do think it's a bounce back season for him. The last coaching staff just had no clue how to properly use him and no talent (outside of Fitz) around him.

while i don't see the 2100 yards and 20 TDs from 2016, i think it's fair to project something between his 2016 stats and last year's stats:  1100 yards rushing / 9 TDs // 65 receptions / 600 yards / 3 TDs

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, Sack Exchange said:

...i think it's fair to project something between his 2016 stats and last year's stats:  1100 yards rushing / 9 TDs // 65 receptions / 600 yards / 3 TDs

I'm on board with this stat projection.