thebadferret

David Johnson 2019 Outlook

I just want him to play 16 games and get targeted a lot more.  Even with another inefficient season, he'll be fine as long as he gets me a lot of 4-5 catch games.   

8 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I just want him to play 16 games and get targeted a lot more.  Even with another inefficient season, he'll be fine as long as he gets me a lot of 4-5 catch games.   

He's a solid route runner, I dont see how he doesnt get 5 targets a game

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:09 AM, Sack Exchange said:

i think it's fair to project something between his 2016 stats and last year's stats:  1100 yards rushing / 9 TDs // 65 receptions / 600 yards / 3 TDs

In the past 20 years only 7 players of 27 and older managed to do that (some did it multiple times):

Player

Year

Tm

G

Att

Yds

TD

Tgt

Rec

Yds

TD

YScm

Ricky Watters

SEA

Charlie Garner

SFO

Marshall Faulk*

STL

Marshall Faulk*

STL

Priest Holmes

KAN

Priest Holmes

KAN

Priest Holmes

KAN

Brian Westbrook

PHI

Brian Westbrook

PHI

Jamaal Charles

KAN

I think DJ is in that category, and it's not impossible, but let's not pretend it's normal. It would be very special.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

In the past 20 years only 7 players of 27 and older managed to do that (some did it multiple times):

Player

Year

Tm

G

Att

Yds

TD

Tgt

Rec

Yds

TD

YScm

Ricky Watters

SEA

Charlie Garner

SFO

Marshall Faulk*

STL

Marshall Faulk*

STL

Priest Holmes

KAN

Priest Holmes

KAN

Priest Holmes

KAN

Brian Westbrook

PHI

Brian Westbrook

PHI

Jamaal Charles

KAN

I think DJ is in that category, and it's not impossible, but let's not pretend it's normal. It would be very special.

good stats. i'd forgotten that DJ's so "old," approaching middle-age in RB years, 28 in december yet only 3 seasons under his belt. (worthy of noting, DJ had the same amount of carries as charles in 2013 but fell short of jamaal's rushing total by 300 yards and five TDs... a talent to aspire to)

my suggestion of 1100 yards rushing / 9 TDs // 65 receptions / 600 yards / 3 TDs certainly is not a floor. but it might be a more realistic ceiling than DJ's own goal of 1000 yards rushing / 1000 yards receiving, especially with kirk and the new rookie weapons competing for targets.

considering the team was a school bus fire last season, and that they can only go up, my projection really only tacks on 300 yards and 3 TDs to his 2018 stats... cardinals begin the season by traveling to detroit and then take on the depleted ravens defense at home, so i'm thinking those 300 yards and 3 TDs by mid-september (or all in the first game at detroit, running out the clock? 😉 )

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Player

Year

Tm

G

Att

Yds

TD

Tgt

Rec

Yds

TD

YScm

Ricky Watters

SEA

Charlie Garner

SFO

Marshall Faulk*

STL

Marshall Faulk*

STL

Priest Holmes

KAN

Priest Holmes

KAN

Priest Holmes

KAN

Brian Westbrook

PHI

Brian Westbrook

PHI

Jamaal Charles

KAN

That chart doesnt take into account the rate at which teams pass these days. That list will grow a lot bigger over the next 2o.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, Sack Exchange said:

good stats. i'd forgotten that DJ's so "old," approaching middle-age in RB years, 28 in december yet only 3 seasons under his belt. (worthy of noting, DJ had the same amount of carries as charles in 2013 but fell short of jamaal's rushing total by 300 yards and five TDs... a talent to aspire to)

my suggestion of 1100 yards rushing / 9 TDs // 65 receptions / 600 yards / 3 TDs certainly is not a floor. but it might be a more realistic ceiling than DJ's own goal of 1000 yards rushing / 1000 yards receiving, especially with kirk and the new rookie weapons competing for targets.

considering the team was a school bus fire last season, and that they can only go up, my projection really only tacks on 300 yards and 3 TDs to his 2018 stats... cardinals begin the season by traveling to detroit and then take on the depleted ravens defense at home, so i'm thinking those 300 yards and 3 TDs by mid-september (or all in the first game at detroit, running out the clock? 😉 )

"considering the team was a school bus fire last season, and that they can only go up...."

New "career 0.500 Division 1 head coach" with no NFL experience.  He doesn't need an offensive coordinator.  I'm sure he's got this!

Vance Joseph was a DC for ONE year in MIA.  Sucked as a HC in DEN.  I'm sure he will be fine too!

New Rookie QB.

Same old busted O-line that can't protect the QB or make holes for the RB.

Defense that still gets you crappy field position, which leads to more punts than TDs.

But the HC doesn't have to recruit and gets to spend 4 hours with his players before lunch!!  He's confident, but all the other head coaches get that too, plus the other HCs have actual NFL experience.

If unjustified optimism won Super Bowls, this team would have as many trophies as the Cleveland Browns!

This might be the GMs last year.

• Like 2

“I think it’ll be similar to 2016,” Johnson said, good news for a running back who had more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage that season.

Shotgun will likely be more prevalent in this offense, Johnson said, and that’s something that has become apparent with many of the comments players and coach Kliff Kingsbury have made.

“I think I’ll be utilized as both a runner and a receiver,” Johnson said.

How much in each spot, Johnson said he doesn’t know, although Kingsbury – perhaps stating the obvious – said running back is “pivotal” in the offense and Johnson clearly stands atop that room’s food chain.

He still has hopes of becoming a 1,000-yard rusher and 1,000-yard receiver, something he fell 121 yards receiving short of in 2016. Within this offense, Johnson believes it’s possible. He just has to make sure his body is ready for the work.

“I think there will be a lot more opportunities to get the ball, a lot more opportunities to score,” Johnson said.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/david-johnson-sets-no-conditions-on-his-2019-optimism

4 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Defense that still gets you crappy field position, which leads to more punts than TDs.

clearly sixth-round draft pick in 2014, the punter andy lee, may become the cardinals' superstar... at least regarding usage.

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

yes, DJ remains hopeful for that 1000 yards rushing / 1000 yards receiving mark. he certainly has the talent to achieve it.

but like the article says, DJ remains sleep-deprived and "on his toes" with David Jr., so he's delirious in his optimism, even dreaming if he thinks 1000 yards receiving is an option with fitz, kirk, isabella, and butler pushing for targets.

i'd suggest kyler murray has an equal chance to hit 1000 yards rushing as DJ does at 1000 yards receiving. the offensive line will certainly keep murray on his toes (and back, shoulder, ribs...)

16 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Would he like to have another 2016 season? Of course!  

Did he get a new long term contract last year?  Yep.

Does he have Bruce Arians, a decent healthy o-line, and a defense that can get him good field position?  Not so much.

Being optimistic is his job.  "Playoffs?  We're talking Playoffs?"

Figuring out how to win games and holding press conferences when he doesn't, that's the coaches job. 

This will be an interesting team to watch...for about 3 weeks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

clearly sixth-round draft pick in 2014, the punter andy lee, may become the cardinals' superstar... at least regarding usage.

yes, DJ remains hopeful for that 1000 yards rushing / 1000 yards receiving mark. he certainly has the talent to achieve it.

but like the article says, DJ remains sleep-deprived and "on his toes" with David Jr., so he's delirious in his optimism, even dreaming if he thinks 1000 yards receiving is an option with fitz, kirk, isabella, and butler pushing for targets.

i'd suggest kyler murray has an equal chance to hit 1000 yards rushing as DJ does at 1000 yards receiving. the offensive line will certainly keep murray on his toes (and back, shoulder, ribs...)

Yeah he would need a ton of targets or a jump in ypr to get that 1000 receiving yards. I don’t see it but it’s a pretty lofty goal anyway.

So I just gave Damien an uptick in my receiving game expectations which in turn now has him challenging Dalvin Cook overall in my book. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 1:30 PM, jmausen said:

"considering the team was a school bus fire last season, and that they can only go up...."

New "career 0.500 Division 1 head coach" with no NFL experience.  He doesn't need an offensive coordinator.  I'm sure he's got this!

Vance Joseph was a DC for ONE year in MIA.  Sucked as a HC in DEN.  I'm sure he will be fine too!

New Rookie QB.

Same old busted O-line that can't protect the QB or make holes for the RB.

But the HC doesn't have to recruit and gets to spend 4 hours with his players before lunch!!  He's confident, but all the other head coaches get that too, plus the other HCs have actual NFL experience.

If unjustified optimism won Super Bowls, this team would have as many trophies as the Cleveland Browns!

This might be the GMs last year.

KK was the worst hire I've ever seen. 

Dude is a failed college coach. He gets a job as an OC. Sure, I get that. I think that's where he belongs too. 

The Cards GM buys him out. Makes him a HC. Gives him MORE responsibility when reality is he cares more about looking cool and being liked than putting in work. Then gives him control over draft to just undo everything they did year before. 

This guy would rather have cell phone breaks then put in the time and work to be a winner. 

GM should have been gone last year with the Steve Wilks that was also set up to fail. 

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Dude is a failed college coach. He gets a job as an OC. Sure, I get that. I think that's where he belongs too. 

The Cards GM buys him out. Makes him a HC. Gives him MORE responsibility when reality is he cares more about looking cool and being liked than putting in work. Then gives him control over draft to just undo everything they did year before. 

This guy would rather have cell phone breaks then put in the time and work to be a winner. 

GM should have been gone last year with the Steve Wilks that was also set up to fail. 

Lol you sound like a real old timer in this rant.

I want a fan of it either but I kinda like some of his methods I just dont think hes a great coach. I'm fine with a laid back coach and cell phone breaks as long as you win which I dont think KK will do much of.

9 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Lol you sound like a real old timer in this rant.

I want a fan of it either but I kinda like some of his methods I just dont think hes a great coach. I'm fine with a laid back coach and cell phone breaks as long as you win which I dont think KK will do much of.

I care less about whether he will win and more about whether DJ returns to elite RB1 status this year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I care less about whether he will win and more about whether DJ returns to elite RB1 status this year.

Well, they should be down 3 scores at the half time of every game this season so a passing down back can absolutely be a fruitful investment in this offense. 

This is setting up very similar to the garbage bears years led by Jay Cutler. That team was always behind, but if you had Matt Forte (my man) you probably didn't care. He was always knocking on the door of 2000 total yards and had that one year with 100 receptions, which if you're in PPR was a golden season. 

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Well, they should be down 3 scores at the half time of every game this season so a passing down back can absolutely be a fruitful investment in this offense. 

This is setting up very similar to the garbage bears years led by Jay Cutler. That team was always behind, but if you had Matt Forte (my man) you probably didn't care. He was always knocking on the door of 2000 total yards and had that one year with 100 receptions, which if you're in PPR was a golden season. 

i really like DJ's talent, and i believe he'll do well, especially in certain weeks. also like the forte comparison on the bears' / cutlet offense. but i also see some games where DJ will be shut down, either due to a solid defense, negative game script, or both. while i don’t buy into the “pros” strength-of-schedule ratings (i’m not even going to check), we can all assess the danger zones based defensive modifications so far, listed here with three green lighted

games where i expect DJ to go off, four yellow light / cautionary games harder to predict, and seven games in red where i see DJ struggling. now that i lay it out, it looks as though DJ will experience tough-going, especially towards the end of the season and into playoffs. temper expectations.

week 1 = lions = green light. i like the lions’ secondary, but snacks harrison is easy enough to avoid up front and jarrad davis might be the only LB who can keep tabs on DJ

week 2 = @ravens = not a fan of the changes, and despite the away game i like the matchup enough for DJ. don’t like the ravens running running running the clock down. yellow light.

week 3 = panthers = some are down on the panthers, but i see the D as solid enough to pose a problem, even for an anemic and/or nascent offense like the cards. yellow, even at home.

week 4 = seahawks = not the pushovers many think they are, but still the homefield advantage should offset defensive prowess; trouble here is similar to ravens, the run-first offense eating the clock. yellow.

week 5 = @bengals = should not pose trouble, not even at home. another year and the bengals’ D continues to slide. green light.

week 6 = falcons = avoid, even at home. the offense will feast on cardinals week 6, and the healthy D is considerable. red light.

week 7 = @giants = minimal threat, even away. green light.

week 8 = @saints = no way. red light.

week 9 = 49ers = a low-ranked defense, but i rank them higher and expect tough going, especially if jimmy g. is still healthy and playing on the offense and the cardinals are in catch-up. yellow light.

week 10 = @bucs = a defense i can’t figure out. experts have them at 29th, but i’m thinking considerably higher. all comes down to rookie performance in the secondary (and rookies will be starting by week 10). suh is a great add. i see devin white at LB as a major obstacle for DJ. away, red light.

week 11 = @49ers = here it’s even tougher going against what i think will be a decent enough D. again, if jimmy g. isn’t wounded, expect the offense to score highly and the cardinals to be trailing continually. red light.

week 13 = rams = expert consensus has the rams at #3 and i’m thinking no friggin’ way. they’re not that good. after chicago and jax, there’s a host of defenses far better: browns, falcons, bills, houston, chargers. we could easily see the jets’ defense outplay the rams this season. (orange light?)

week 14 = steelers = like what i see in the pitt D, red light despite home game.

week 15 = browns = red light. if there was a color after red, i’d choose that.

week 16 = @seahawks = great at home. red light.

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

No, the answer is no.

Dreams and Dwightmares hit the nail on the head.  KK should be an offensive coordinator.  That's all he is qualified for.

His defense sucks, and he will have to spend a lot of time focused on his defense.  His offensive line also sucks, which is bad for everyone.  He doesn't have an offensive coordinator to work with the offense when, just like every year as a failed college coach, his defense sucks and he has to do something about that too.

Good fantasy RBs have good defenses, good field position, lots of TDs, and control the game clock in the second half.  DJ has NONE OF THAT!!!!!

This is a team that needs a new GM LAST YEAR!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

i really like DJ's talent, and i believe he'll do well, especially in certain weeks. also like the forte comparison on the bears' / cutlet offense. but i also see some games where DJ will be shut down, either due to a solid defense, negative game script, or both. while i don’t buy into the “pros” strength-of-schedule ratings (i’m not even going to check), we can all assess the danger zones based defensive modifications so far, listed here with three green lighted

games where i expect DJ to go off, four yellow light / cautionary games harder to predict, and seven games in red where i see DJ struggling. now that i lay it out, it looks as though DJ will experience tough-going, especially towards the end of the season and into playoffs. temper expectations.

week 1 = lions = green light. i like the lions’ secondary, but snacks harrison is easy enough to avoid up front and jarrad davis might be the only LB who can keep tabs on DJ

week 2 = @ravens = not a fan of the changes, and despite the away game i like the matchup enough for DJ. don’t like the ravens running running running the clock down. yellow light.

week 3 = panthers = some are down on the panthers, but i see the D as solid enough to pose a problem, even for an anemic and/or nascent offense like the cards. yellow, even at home.

week 4 = seahawks = not the pushovers many think they are, but still the homefield advantage should offset defensive prowess; trouble here is similar to ravens, the run-first offense eating the clock. yellow.

week 5 = @bengals = should not pose trouble, not even at home. another year and the bengals’ D continues to slide. green light.

week 6 = falcons = avoid, even at home. the offense will feast on cardinals week 6, and the healthy D is considerable. red light.

week 9 = 49ers = a low-ranked defense, but i rank them higher and expect tough going, especially if jimmy g. is still healthy and playing on the offense and the cardinals are in catch-up. yellow light.

week 10 = @bucs = a defense i can’t figure out. experts have them at 29th, but i’m thinking considerably higher. all comes down to rookie performance in the secondary (and rookies will be starting by week 10). suh is a great add. i see devin white at LB as a major obstacle for DJ. away, red light.

week 11 = @49ers = here it’s even tougher going against what i think will be a decent enough D. again, if jimmy g. isn’t wounded, expect the offense to score highly and the cardinals to be trailing continually. red light.

week 13 = rams = expert consensus has the rams at #3 and i’m thinking no friggin’ way. they’re not that good. after chicago and jax, there’s a host of defenses far better: browns, falcons, bills, houston, chargers. we could easily see the jets’ defense outplay the rams this season. (orange light?)

week 14 = steelers = like what i see in the pitt D, red light despite home game.

In the "green light games" KM doesn't use DJ and does all of the running himself.

4 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

Preseason SOS is dumb. 

7 hours ago, jmausen said:

No, the answer is no.

Dreams and Dwightmares hit the nail on the head.  KK should be an offensive coordinator.  That's all he is qualified for.

His defense sucks, and he will have to spend a lot of time focused on his defense.  His offensive line also sucks, which is bad for everyone.  He doesn't have an offensive coordinator to work with the offense when, just like every year as a failed college coach, his defense sucks and he has to do something about that too.

Good fantasy RBs have good defenses, good field position, lots of TDs, and control the game clock in the second half.  DJ has NONE OF THAT!!!!!

This is a team that needs a new GM LAST YEAR!

I hear you and agree. Moreover, they're running a spread, shot-gun offense which rarely ever spells success for RBs. I look for DJ to get some points in the passing game, much like Kamara but on a much lower tier, but I doubt he surpasses 900 yards rushing.

• Like 1

And QBs like Kyler Murray try to make big plays on every play.  They don't check down to RBs often.  Hero balls down field (into triple coverage) or take off and run with it.

56 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And QBs like Kyler Murray try to make big plays on every play.  They don't check down to RBs often.  Hero balls down field (into triple coverage) or take off and run with it.

OK, Let's not judge him before he plays in the NFL. That's not how Russell Wilson plays, for instance.
I think Kyler is smart. If they can get an experienced QB in the depth chart who -

Yeah never mind. I just checked the depth chart for QBs, and there is no-one who can tutor him.

Bye bye Cards. at least you'll have the consolation of getting the #2 or #1 draft pick again in 2020.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

He sure didnt check down to his RBS a whole lot in college. And he had some pretty talented guys who will be future pros

• Like 1