pastorofmuppets2

Patrick Mahomes 2019 Outlook

13 hours ago, hankmurphy said:

Well then I’m an idiot!

I would consider drafting Mahomes late first.  I may also be an idiot, but I'm an idiot with a closet full of fantasy football trophies . . .

8 hours ago, mbell317 said:

Kittle was ranked the 12th TE by fantasypros cumulative rankings last year pre-draft. 

Are you saying Kittle was in the FA pool? How is that possible?

This just further emphasizes that your league is a bunch of noobs. 

That isn't really relevant to competitive leagues. 

Kittle was in the same boat last year as mark andrews is this year. And was dropped after garapolo got hurt in a ton of leagues

11 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

hmm, I seem to have found a TE like Kittle in the free agency pool last year

I also found the no 4 TE in Eric Ebron

Funny you say that considering Mahomes was going after pick 100 last year...

3 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

Hm? That wasn't the question. You asked if Mahomes is worth drafting 10 rounds before Lamar Jackson, which I said yes he is because I consider Jackson a 14-16th round flyer. 

Dude you took that 1 sentence out of my 5+ sentence post and removed it from its context. 

The point of the post was obviously about not prioritizing a QB in early rounds for a variety of reasons. Don't take 1 sentence out of a longer post next time and maybe we can avoid this confusion. 

i just love the robotic, "slave to rote/tradition/ADP" donks - they make winning at this gig a tad easier than it ought to be. 

btw, the bust/injury rate for RBs/WRs far exceeds that of QBs ... 

now, this is not necessarily advocating for 'Homie early, but it sure as hell ain't going against it, either. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

13 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Dude you took that 1 sentence out of my 5+ sentence post and removed it from its context. 

The point of the post was obviously about not prioritizing a QB in early rounds for a variety of reasons. Don't take 1 sentence out of a longer post next time and maybe we can avoid this confusion. 

You responded to my post answering your question with a simple "Yes". Don't point the finger at someone else. 

11 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

You responded to my post answering your question with a simple "Yes". Don't point the finger at someone else. 

Lol. Just go back and read the posts. 

I said "People are taking Mahomes in the first 3 rounds in standard leagues...it baffles me.

I saw someone take him 14th overall. That is just nonsense.

In leagues where you start 1 QB, with standard scoring, there is just no reason to draft a QB early. They are simply not rare and you can find a decent one any week. Good RB's and WR's on the other hand...you have to start 5-6 of them and they are not many great ones going around. 

I got Lamar Jackson in Round 13 in a 12 team league. Are you telling me that Mahomes is worth selecting 10+ rounds before someone like Lamar?

Let someone else waste an early pick on Mahomes if that's what they want to do.
"

So I'm clearly advising against taking Mahomes in rounds 1, 2, or 3. 

And you're now surprised that that means you missed out on great RB's and WR's that are chosen in rounds 2 and 3??

Come on man. You're just twisting what I said and arguing semantics. Don't take 1 sentence out of a 8 sentence post. I should have never even responded to you when you did that.

And then you twist the story later on and say "well I would take Lamar in rounds 14-16" or whatever. LOL. That wasn't the argument. 

I'm clearly not addressing taking Mahomes in rounds 4-6. 

spacer.png

•  
Edited by mbell317

11 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Lol. Just go back and read the posts. 

I said "People are taking Mahomes in the first 3 rounds in standard leagues...it baffles me.

I saw someone take him 14th overall. That is just nonsense.

In leagues where you start 1 QB, with standard scoring, there is just no reason to draft a QB early. They are simply not rare and you can find a decent one any week. Good RB's and WR's on the other hand...you have to start 5-6 of them and they are not many great ones going around. 

I got Lamar Jackson in Round 13 in a 12 team league. Are you telling me that Mahomes is worth selecting 10+ rounds before someone like Lamar?

Let someone else waste an early pick on Mahomes if that's what they want to do.
"

So I'm clearly advising against taking Mahomes in rounds 1, 2, or 3. 

And you're now surprised that that means you missed out on great RB's and WR's that are chosen in rounds 2 and 3??

Come on man. You're just twisting what I said and arguing semantics. Don't take 1 sentence out of a 8 sentence post. I should have never even responded to you when you did that.

And then you twist the story later on and say "well I would take Lamar in rounds 14-16" or whatever. LOL. That wasn't the argument. 

I'm clearly not addressing taking Mahomes in rounds 4-6. 

spacer.png

•  

I don't care what the rest of your post says. I answered your question:

Are you telling me that Mahomes is worth drafting 10+ rounds before someone like Lamar? 

It sounds like your only reason in this thread is to convince yourself having Lamar Jackson as your starter is not a problem.

Mahomes averaged more than 4 points higher per game than the next best QB. Some argue he could be better this year. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone drafting him in the second or third round. If you convince yourself you can find another James Conner later in the draft, why not take the plunge with the person likely to be the #1 overall scoring player in fantasy?

Edited by oliminator123

Is Mahomes and Emmanuel Sanders > Lamar Jackson and Stefon Diggs?

Is Mahomes and Breida > Lamar Jackson and Chris Carson?

Is Mahomes and Mark Andrews > Lamar Jackson and Zach Ertz?

Thats the caliber of RB/WR/TE you likely passed up in the 3rd to get Mahomes. And that’s the caliber of skill position player that will probably see your lineup instead.

to me it’s close if Mahomes comes close to what he did last year and you only used a 3rd.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I don't care what the rest of your post says. I answered your question:

Are you telling me that Mahomes is worth drafting 10+ rounds before someone like Lamar? 

It sounds like your only reason in this thread is to convince yourself having Lamar Jackson as your starter is not a problem.

Mahomes averaged more than 4 points higher per game than the next best QB. Some argue he could be better this year. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone drafting him in the second or third round. If you convince yourself you can find another James Conner later in the draft, why not take the plunge with the person likely to be the #1 overall scoring player in fantasy?

Dude read the sentence right before that sentence:

"I got Lamar Jackson in Round 13 in a 12 team league."

Put two and two together. I am saying "Are you telling me that Mahomes is worth drafting in round 3 or before, considering someone like Jackson can be had in round 13+?"

You don't care what the rest of my post says?

The rest of my post explains that question. If you aren't willing to understand the question in context, then I'm sorry. Maybe go take a class on how to read and learn that you can't take 1 sentence out of a paragraph and grasp its full meaning. 

I have zero concern about Lamar Jackson as my starter. The whole point was about not selecting Mahomes in rounds 1-3. 

I'm not sure why you're obsessed with isolating that one sentence and ignoring the point of the post. You're obviously someone that likes to twist facts just to get a rise out of people or something? Strange stuff man. 

Edited by mbell317
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

thats not what we are talking about here take my team today 12 team ppr 

1. (5) DeAndre Hopkins (Hou - WR)
2. (20) Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB)
3. (29) Dalvin Cook (Min - RB)
4. (44) Marlon Mack (Ind - RB)
5. (53) Tyler Boyd (Cin - WR)
6. (68) James White (NE - RB)
7. (77) Allen Robinson II (Chi - WR)
8. (92) Devin Singletary (Buf - RB)
9. (101) Will Fuller V (Hou - WR)
10. (116) Jaylen Samuels (Pit - RB)
11. (125) Alexander Mattison (Min - RB)
12. (140) Corey Davis (Ten - WR)
13. (149) Carlos Hyde (Hou - RB)
14. (164) T.J. Hockenson (Det - TE)
15. (173) New Orleans (NO - DEF)

What’s your point?  This team has holes, that’s what happens when you reach for a qb.  You could have picked AB or Mike Evans with that pick.  You didn’t even bother with a tight end, you could have picked a stud like Ertz or Kittle.  

Rb’s and wr’s hold way more value, that’s just the way this game is played.  If your starting rb gets injured you can’t find another starter on the wire.  You can always find a starting qb on the wire no matter what.  Your draft assets and waiver claims should be prioritized towards acquiring as many quality rb’s and wr’s as you can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickydragon said:

What’s your point?  This team has holes, that’s what happens when you reach for a qb.  You could have picked AB or Mike Evans with that pick.  You didn’t even bother with a tight end, you could have picked a stud like Ertz or Kittle.  

Rb’s and wr’s hold way more value, that’s just the way this game is played.  If your starting rb gets injured you can’t find another starter on the wire.  You can always find a starting qb on the wire no matter what.  Your draft assets and waiver claims should be prioritized towards acquiring as many quality rb’s and wr’s as you can.

In the past few years I've snagged Kamara, David Johnson, Thomas Rawls (that one great season), James Conner, and others off the wire. With how many injuries happen to the RB position there are always a few guys who come out of nowhere to post RB1 or RB2 numbers. Yeah you can get a starting QB off the wire but it won't help much when it's a garbage starting QB. Maybe you guys haven't been playing fantasy that long but I've seen many teams draft QB early and go on to win the ship. There's too many variables and random luck to say one strategy is always better than another.

15 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

You're clueless, bud. I am answering your damn question. I think you are the one who needs to go back to second grade English, and I even proposed reasoning behind my yes in my last post. I get you're relatively new around here (in terms of posting on the forums) but learn the posters around you before you critique what you think they're trying to do. I have no problem arguing and trying to make a fool of someone when the opportunity arises, but I definitely don't try to get a rise out of someone on an internet forum: I have a life. 

Good luck with Lamar Jackson as your starter this year. You're gonna need it. 

@mbell317 & @oliminator123 Guys, either agree to disagree & drop it, or PM each other. Please stay on topic & no need to call each other out continuously because of a difference of opinions. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

I wasn't going WR/WR when we only start 2

and I am not taking Ertz or Kittle in the 2nd, I think Henry outscores one of them

also, I am not worried about TE's there are 3-4 solid plays on the wire still, I just figured I would game with Hockenson a minute

Edited by Golden Spikes

No posts about this stud? It looked like he was going to throw for 500+ yds and 8 td's until he tweaked his ankle. Speaking of the ankle do we have any updates on his status? No news good news? Got a pretty tasty matchup with OAK this weekend and could really use some Patty magic.

Other than him saying "It feels better every day" and that that'll be smart about his practice time...nothing to really report...other than my blood pressure finally stabilizing.

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Other than him saying "It feels better every day" and that that'll be smart about his practice time...nothing to really report...other than my blood pressure finally stabilizing.

no doubt brother. just read on one of the reports that he practiced today and now its wait and see if it tightens up on him. fingers crossed

On 9/11/2019 at 4:49 PM, stay_woke said:

Yahoo just updated him to healthy, nothing to worry about my homies

Yep, he played. Solid 2nd quarter.

Personally, I think Mahomes is pretty good.

How do/did I come to this conclusion? 

Actually, there’s a good exercise for that.

Here’s how it works...

Take the next three human beings that you see with your very own eyes. Or, if you’re in an isolated location and no one else is around, simply just take the first three people that come to mind — real, imagined or otherwise; doesn’t matter.

All three individuals are capable of going for 150 + and 2 bombs any given Sunday (or any day really) with Patty Mahomes slinigin’ it to ‘em. Unequivocal

-- End of exercise --

That’s how I know

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Haha 1

[...] Thing about taking Mahomes it virtually guarantees playoffs barring injury. Rest of your team doesn't have to be stacked bc most weeks you are absolutely waxing your opponent at the QB spot. Now with Brews and Big Ben out it makes Mahomes with an early pick even better in hindsight.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 3

I took QB early this year since Mahomes was staring me in the face in the 4th round.....didn't feel too good about it, but after the initial results wow. A big part of fantasy is to have fun and it is a blast to watch him play. In my other league, I waited and grabbed Winston....now on the Josh Allen train. Multiple ways to win, but it is nice knowing Mahomes is almost a guaranteed smack down. One of those players I'm sure your opponent dreads going up against. The guy is a fantasy nuclear bomb (e.g. 2nd quarter of last game).

Trade offers are now flying in....the crazy thing is that Yahoo evaluated the following trade as a loss for me: Davante Adams + Zach Ertz for Mahomes. Granted that evaluation is roster dependent, but still tells me it's basically impossible to construct a trade right now involving Mahomes that allows both sides to "win". He is just too good.

Edited by meverett85
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, meverett85 said:

I took QB early this year since Mahomes was staring me in the face in the 4th round.....didn't feel too good about it, but after the initial results wow. A big part of fantasy is to have fun and it is a blast to watch him play. In my other league, I waited and grabbed Winston....now on the Josh Allen train. Multiple ways to win, but it is nice knowing Mahomes is almost a guaranteed smack down. One of those players I'm sure your opponent dreads going up against. The guy is a fantasy nuclear bomb (e.g. 2nd quarter of last game).

Trade offers are now flying in....the crazy thing is that Yahoo evaluated the following trade as a loss for me: Davante Adams + Zach Ertz for Mahomes. Granted that evaluation is roster dependent, but still tells me it's basically impossible to construct a trade right now involving Mahomes that allows both sides to "win". He is just too good.

The Yahoo trade evaluations are based off the weekly projections in the Yahoo database, which are complete garbage lol.  Base a trade off your instincts, not what yahoo projections show you

23 minutes ago, dms80790 said:

The Yahoo trade evaluations are based off the weekly projections in the Yahoo database, which are complete garbage lol.  Base a trade off your instincts, not what yahoo projections show you

Fair enough....was really more of an anecdote than anything else. But if you were to "trust your instinct" I think that applies also. Let's say you trade Mahomes....how much more do you think he will average per game than the 10th highest scoring QB (assuming that individual is sent back your way in a trade)? Using last year's data for ESPN standard, Mahomes gains you a little over 8 points per game over the QB10...

Now from Ertz to the 10th best TE last year, you are really looking at about 2 points per game. From Davante to the 20th best WR, you are looking at about 6 points per game.

This year Mahomes has been better and Ertz and Davante have been worse.

Anyways, I think my point is not far off in saying that with the way Mahomes is playing...it just doesn't seem like a win/win realistic trade is possible right now for most of our leagues.

Edited by meverett85

I think Mahomes will be a first round draft pick next year.  Forget the whole "wait on QB" narrative that has been overplayed in the industry every year.  Mahomes is a true difference maker who can win you weeks easily.   For those that will argue that Lamar Jackson could be had for 10 rounds cheaper this year, sure, that's if you're lucky enough to hit.  I think if you could redraft now, you'd consider Mahomes at #5 after the top 4 RBs.

• Like 2