Rotoworld.com Forums

Patrick Mahomes 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

That’s one perspective. Mine is that the league figured him out. It happens with all the great QB’s. He’s firmly in that rut where the league knows how to neutralize him. Eat clock and keep the ball away...as much Reid’s fault as anyone’s...but It still hurts Mahomes prospects. 

That said, I think he’s a special talent, and will overcome...I just wouldn’t count on it in what is left of this season. 

I'm sure league has a somewhat better idea of how to play him than last year, but Mahomes extends plays and has a ridiculous arm. Just like Wilson when healthy, not much a defense can do to figure him out when that happens... Wilson is still balling how many years later?

I agree with other poster that losing tyreek was huge and playing on a bum ankle is going to have some negative effect on your game. He didn't deal with any of that last year. 

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes

I think we can all agree that the Chiefs should shut him down for the year, and he should retire.

If your ankle is weakened and you can't maneuver through a qb sneak the way you otherwise could, who knows what kind of damage you might suffer as a result.  Bottom line: it was a stupid call on a nig

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

the reason teams where able to eat clock was because mahomes wasn't healthy plus no hill and they couldn't sustain drives.

spacer.png

I’m just trying to make sense vs. excuses for his performances. According to the masses, this is the matchup proof, next coming of football Jesus...except his ankle hurt and Hill was out...

I’ve got nothing left to argue, but to watch his ROS performance...

Edited by RandyShackleford
8 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

spacer.png

I’m just trying to make sense vs. excuses for his performances. According to the masses, this is the matchup proof, next coming of football Jesus...except his ankle hurt and Hill was out...

I’ve got nothing left to argue, but to watch his ROS performance...

How dare you mock our fantasy football lord and savior...

Edited by trolltoll
  • Haha 2

Any word on the progress of that ankle injury of his that he was dealing with prior to the kneecap dislocation? I’ve tried seeking out news on the ankle, but up to this point I haven’t heard a whisper in regards to it. 

To me, that’s always been a potential big-time silver lining in all this: that the prolonged period of rest Mahomes gets afforded from his knee injury, a byproduct of that prolonged rest is that it should also allow for that banged up ankle of his to fully heal up. Rest for that ankle he receives for a greater duration of time, and rest for that ankle that arrives much, much sooner than it otherwise would have with a one week bye not scheduled to arrive until all the way out in week 12. Hence, why I’m curious to know.

Cause for anyone who watched, that ankle injury was clearly hindering Mahomes play, and it was only getting progressively worse; and not just worse with each passing game, but worse with practically each passing possession within each game. And for anyone who didn’t catch the games, all they’d have to do is take a look at the box scores and they’d find all the evidence they’d need to notice said decline in play; cause the numbers Mahomes was tossing up weeks 1 thru 3, they are in stark contrast to what he was was mustering in the weeks subsequent to post-ankle tweak.

And given the hypothetical choice between Patty Mahomes taking a brief hiatus for a couple games, putting up video game numbers once again upon his return VS. Patrick Mahomes missing no action, however, only providing human quarterback-like numbers pretty much the whole way through (playoffs included)....

I dunno about any of you guys, but I know which one I’m taking

3 minutes ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Any word on the progress of that ankle injury of his that he was dealing with prior to the kneecap dislocation? I’ve tried seeking out news on the ankle, but up to this point I haven’t heard a whisper in regards to it. 

To me, that’s always been a potential big-time silver lining in all this: that the prolonged period of rest Mahomes gets afforded from his knee injury, a byproduct of that prolonged rest is that it should also allow for that banged up ankle of his to fully heal up. Rest for that ankle he receives for a greater duration of time, and rest for that ankle that arrives much, much sooner than it otherwise would have with a one week bye not scheduled to arrive until all the way out in week 12. Hence, why I’m curious to know.

Cause for anyone who watched, that ankle injury was clearly hindering Mahomes play, and it was only getting progressively worse; and not just worse with each passing game, but worse with practically each passing possession within each game. And for anyone who didn’t catch the games, all they’d have to do is take a look at the box scores and they’d find all the evidence they’d need to notice said decline in play; cause the numbers Mahomes was tossing up weeks 1 thru 3, they are in stark contrast to what he was was mustering in the weeks subsequent to post-ankle tweak.

And given the hypothetical choice between Patty Mahomes taking a brief hiatus for a couple games, putting up video game numbers once again upon his return VS. Patrick Mahomes missing no action, however, only providing human quarterback-like numbers pretty much the whole way through (playoffs included)....

I dunno about any of you guys, but I know which one I’m taking

I'm sure that's had plenty of time to heal with the kneecap injury. It should be fine. It wasn't a serious ankle injured.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, trolltoll said:

I'm sure league has a somewhat better idea of how to play him than last year, but Mahomes extends plays and has a ridiculous arm. Just like Wilson when healthy, not much a defense can do to figure him out when that happens... Wilson is still balling how many years later?

I agree with other poster that losing tyreek was huge and playing on a bum ankle is going to have some negative effect on your game. He didn't deal with any of that last year. 

I would say that the ankle injury was the biggest reason why he all of a sudden became human.  He was forced to become a pocket passer exclusively, and while he's obviously a great passer, that's not him.  His accuracy also all of a sudden went from elite to borderline bad.  It's hard to say that is wrong and it's just that the league figured him out.  He was still great even after the initial injury, but then it all took a turn once he re-aggravated it.  It's not very logical that the league wouldn't have already tried to adjust before the season started and instead magically figured him out a handful of weeks into this season.

I've been thinking all along, like you said, that this knee injury is a blessing in disguise for his late season performance.  He wasn't going to quite be the elite guy we all drafted him for if he just kept playing on the ankle the rest of the season, so getting to rest that should help give us that elite performance again when things matter the most.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I would say that the ankle injury was the biggest reason why he all of a sudden became human.  He was forced to become a pocket passer exclusively, and while he's obviously a great passer, that's not him.  His accuracy also all of a sudden went from elite to borderline bad.  It's hard to say that is wrong and it's just that the league figured him out.  He was still great even after the initial injury, but then it all took a turn once he re-aggravated it.  It's not very logical that the league wouldn't have already tried to adjust before the season started and instead magically figured him out a handful of weeks into this season.

I've been thinking all along, like you said, that this knee injury is a blessing in disguise for his late season performance.  He wasn't going to quite be the elite guy we all drafted him for if he just kept playing on the ankle the rest of the season, so getting to rest that should help give us that elite performance again when things matter the most.

^^^ THIS ^^^ 

Agreed in full. If the Hill injury - where he went down early on in the contest in week 1 - was the culprit (or even ah culprit) for Mahomes' downtick in production in the weeks leading up to his knee injury, considering the 378 yards on 25 of 33 passing and 3 TD's Mahomes passed for that very same game, the vast majority of it coming subsequent to Hill going down, then Mahomes sure had a funny way of showing it. I'd argue similarly for the 444 and 4 Mahomes threw for the very next week sans Hill (and would've been 516 and 5 if not for the holding penalty that negated the 72 yd strike to rookie Mecole Hardman...y'know, Hill's direct replacement); also a funny way to show number suppression in part due to a lack of a presence from Hill.  Tyreek Hill, while unquestionably a dynamic piece and an enormous asset to any offense, Hill or no Hill, Patrick Mahomes is - and quite frankly, did - gonna do what he do.

Well, I should say, he gonna do what he do, that is, unless/until he sustains an ankle injury; an ankle that's stubborn to heal but not so stubborn in its aversion towards getting progressively worse. Cause in that case, Mahomes is still gonna do what he do...he just ain't gonna do what he do nearly as much, nor as well, as he do what he did immediately antecedent to it.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell

Lol at those claiming Mahomes got figured out by playing keep-away. That's basically always the strategy if you go against an elite QB/offense. And it's not like Mahomes can do anything about the other team's offense gashing a weak Chiefs D. Mahomes gonna be a great QB for a very long time. Can't figure out his arm talent, accuracy and impromptu, those traits will prevail anything a defense can throw at him.

27 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Lol at those claiming Mahomes got figured out by playing keep-away. That's basically always the strategy if you go against an elite QB/offense. And it's not like Mahomes can do anything about the other team's offense gashing a weak Chiefs D. Mahomes gonna be a great QB for a very long time. Can't figure out his arm talent, accuracy and impromptu, those traits will prevail anything a defense can throw at him.

Groundbreaking news!  lol 

Edited by hockeyfan77
Patrick Mahomes: Not expected to start
Published Sat Nov 2 1:49:48 p.m. CT 2019  
(RotoWire) Mahomes (knee) is not expected to start Sunday against the Vikings, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Analysis: Mahomes is expected to work out on the field prior to the game, but it seems unlikely the electric third-year quarterback will play Sunday, reinforced by the fact the Chiefs activated Chad Henne (ankle) from injured reserve with the intent to backup Matt Moore. While the initial timeline following Mahomes' injury waffled anywhere from two-to-five weeks of absence, it certainly appears as if the 2018 MVP is not expected to be out for a lengthy amount of time given Saturday's news.

They're not rushing him back this soon contrary to whatever hype pieces the twitter randos report. There's still a high chance of re-injury if they don't stick to the normal recovery timeline and let's face it, it isn't worth it for possible the biggest franchise player in history.

Optimism is back, trade value is (mostly) back, and he remains an injury risk with a difficult schedule. Even though I don't personally think he's affected by schedule difficulty like other QBs, dare I say this might be the time to dangle him in trades if you've been riding a backup QB you trust?

For a guy who's at his best when scrambling and using his athleticism to extend plays and wear out defenses, does it worry anyone else that we'll probably see him stay much more within the pocket behind the same offensive line that wasn't protecting him before?

6 minutes ago, Vanquish2073 said:

Optimism is back, trade value is (mostly) back, and he remains an injury risk with a difficult schedule. Even though I don't personally think he's affected by schedule difficulty like other QBs, dare I say this might be the time to dangle him in trades if you've been riding a backup QB you trust?

For a guy who's at his best when scrambling and using his athleticism to extend plays and wear out defenses, does it worry anyone else that we'll probably see him stay much more within the pocket behind the same offensive line that wasn't protecting him before?

All or nothing for me. Ride or die. Minshew and Darnold have proven to be less than worthy in the few weeks Mahomes went down.