DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Titans ain't letting their beast RB go not happening. 

I think for both TEN and Henry him staying in place is the best, for both sides.  He's a great fit for that offense and that O-line and they understand how to tailor the offense for Henry's strengths.  

Maybe Henry could go somewhere else but those type of changes don't always work out, for the player or the new team. 

42 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Did Henry say he needed to be the highest paid or that he is expecting to be the highest paid? I didn't see the interview. If both sides sit down with realistic expectations a deal will get done. Hopefully Henry gets a decent payday but it doesn't have to be the highest paid RB. 

No he did not go further than he wants to be back, and said he will let his agent deal with all that. But everyone is pretty much assuming that he will get the top dollar. I dont think he will settle for less, and he shouldnt.

1 hour ago, cashvillesent said:

No he did not go further than he wants to be back, and said he will let his agent deal with all that. But everyone is pretty much assuming that he will get the top dollar. I dont think he will settle for less, and he shouldnt.

I'm a huge Henry fan but I don't think he's worth being the highest paid RB. One of the top paid ones, yes, but honestly don't think he's worth being paid the most. Will be curious how this plays out. Here is some top contracts for comparison.

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys 25 $90,000,000 $15,000,000 $50,052,137 $28,052,137 2027 UFA
Todd Gurley Rams 26 $57,500,000 $14,375,000 $45,000,000 $21,950,000 2024 UFA
Le'Veon Bell Jets 28 $52,500,000 $13,125,000 $35,000,000 $27,000,000 2023 UFA
David Johnson Cardinals 29 $39,000,000 $13,000,000 $31,882,500 $24,682,500 2022 UFA
Devonta Freeman Falcons 28 $41,250,000 $8,250,000 $22,047,000 $18,297,000 2023 UFA
Edited by Big Nate
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I'm a huge Henry fan but I don't think he's worth being the highest paid RB. One of the top paid ones, yes, but honestly don't think he's worth being paid the most. Will be curious how this plays out. Here is some top contracts for comparison.

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys 25 $90,000,000 $15,000,000 $50,052,137 $28,052,137 2027 UFA
David Johnson Cardinals 29 $39,000,000 $13,000,000 $31,882,500 $24,682,500 2022 UFA
Devonta Freeman Falcons 28 $41,250,000 $8,250,000 $22,047,000 $18,297,000 2023 UFA

This list just proves how you shouldn’t pay a RB top dollar.

3 hours ago, Big Nate said:

I think for both TEN and Henry him staying in place is the best, for both sides.  He's a great fit for that offense and that O-line and they understand how to tailor the offense for Henry's strengths.  

Maybe Henry could go somewhere else but those type of changes don't always work out, for the player or the new team. 

It usually works out for the player, because they get a huge payday. I think stats are lower on the totem pole.

28 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

It usually works out for the player, because they get a huge payday. I think stats are lower on the totem pole.

Oh for sure, they get paid. But I'd say their career/stats don't always work out the best.  Bell was a flop with the Jets.  Having said that it is the Jets and Adam Gase LOL.

A good system can make a good RB great and I'd say they take a risk, career wise, going somewhere new.  If all they want is the money (which most do and I guess you can't blame them) then all the power to them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Oh for sure, they get paid. But I'd say their career/stats don't always work out the best. 

Bell was a flop with the Jets.  Having said that it is the Jets and Adam Gase LOL.

A good system can make a good RB great and I'd say they take a risk, career wise, going somewhere new.  If all they want is the money (which most do and I guess you can't blame them) then all the power to them. 

It's never good to reference a player under Gase as a "flop". . .Damien, Drake,Parker,Tannenhill all did  nada in a Gase system and all had their breakouts with new teams or new coaching.

I somehow think if Bell in KC or PHI instead of the Jets, he would be a stud.😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Oh for sure, they get paid. But I'd say their career/stats don't always work out the best.  Bell was a flop with the Jets.  Having said that it is the Jets and Adam Gase LOL.

RBs don't typically get more than that one big contract due to average longevity, why risk the money to have better stats or win a championship? Its a bigger risk career wise to not take the money. 

RBs don't have the luxury of taking paycuts for championships and fit.

I think the Titans will end up offering him a very lucrative and competitive long-term deal.  His case is sui generis - he’s just such a perfect fit for what they’re running scheme-wise, and he’s become the face of the franchise at this point (and deservedly so).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency

Henry is better than all those RBs.

Only CMC and Barkley are better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

Henry should sign with the Steelers. They would use him properly.

Other than that a return to Tennessee seems most likely.

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Henry is better than all those RBs.

Only CMC and Barkley are better.

Blasphemy

2 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

Exactly. The only thing that is relevant to a rb is the guaranteed money because of the short career span. They dont have the ability to look 5yrs down the road like QB's and wr's. Rb deals are almost always to the teams benefit in the end because they are easily replaceable parts in the view of most coaching staffs. 

There is no stud rb in the upcoming SB but there are stud wr's, QB's,TE's. Teams simply don't value them very high economically

Edited by dashoe

2 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency

And not a single one of those rb's made the playoffs this season and only 2 have been to a SB in their careers

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

And not a single one of those rb's made the playoffs this season and only 2 have been to a SB in their careers

Hell only team with a top 10 paid RB that made playoffs is SF and he hasn't seen a snap for them.

• Like 1

Aren’t we just a year removed from a top-10-paid RB making the SB?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Aren’t we just a year removed from a top-10-paid RB making the SB?

CJ Anderson carrying Gurley to the title game? 😂

6 hours ago, dashoe said:

CJ Anderson carrying Gurley to the title game? 😂

I congratulate CJ on his two big games at the very end of the 2018 season around the Christmas holiday. Apart from that he did virtually nothing except for one PS game.

Edited by BMcP

16 hours ago, youngrice said:

Hell only team with a top 10 paid RB that made playoffs is SF and he hasn't seen a snap for them.

This is always a really poor argument when a small percentage of teams make the playoffs, deep playoff runs, or the SB every season. Not every team is structured the same way.

37 minutes ago, devaster said:

This is always a really poor argument when a small percentage of teams make the playoffs, deep playoff runs, or the SB every season. Not every team is structured the same way.

Particularly in a year when 6 of 8 remaining playoff teams ran a wide-zone-run-based offense.

Edited by BMcP

44 minutes ago, devaster said:

Yet most teams look at the results and they will make decisions on what works for them and what works for successful teams.

The NFL is a copycat league. Why else do you think most teams now employe an early down and 3rd down/pass catching rb vs the old AP style rb or now everyone wants their version of demarco/zeke/Barkley/Bell, every down rb's who can also catch the ball?  RB went from a very valued to least valued position in offense and wr went from least valued to highly valued. yet every coach stresses their need to RUN the ball as their QB's break records every season for passing.

How many teams have attempted and failed to replicate the patriots backfield?

Why do owners hire coaches from SB or playoff winners, if not to replicate the results from their previous teams?  Teams have already hired Sean Mcvay coordinators and he hasnt won a SB🤣

pederson goes for it on 4th down all season and wins a SB following season more teams go for it on 4th down  because of the "analytics" 😂

Teams don't copy losers they copy winners and playoff/SB teams are winners.

Edited by dashoe

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Yet most teams look at the results and they will make decisions on what works for them and what works for successful teams.

The NFL is a copycat league. Why else do you think most teams now employe an early down and 3rd down/pass catching rb vs the old AP style rb or now everyone wants their version of demarco/zeke/Barkley/Bell, every down rb's who can also catch the ball?  RB went from a very valued to least valued position in offense and wr went from least valued to highly valued. yet every coach stresses their need to RUN the ball as their QB's break records every season for passing.

How many teams have attempted and failed to replicate the patriots backfield?

Why do owners hire coaches from SB or playoff winners, if not to replicate the results from their previous teams?  Teams have already hired Sean Mcvay coordinators and he hasnt won a SB🤣

pederson goes for it on 4th down all season and wins a SB following season more teams go for it on 4th down  because of the "analytics" 😂

Teams don't copy losers they copy winners and playoff/SB teams are winners.

Teams copy winners and playoff/SB teams to an extent. But when teams draft great players they tend to keep them around. We don't see many teams trying to replicate the NE formula in player development and roster building. Or maybe they do and just aren't successful. Wrinkles will always trickle down to the rest of the league though.

• Like 1