joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

10 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

They play the AFC East, NFC West, and the Raiders and the Jags on top of their 6 DIV games. I don't really see those opponents as a murderers row of front 7 talent. They play the Dolphins champ week too, which may be the worst team in football with an awful front 7. 

Jags should be much improved this year.i only see 6 positive matchups in his schedule which include Steelers, Cardinals, Patriots, raiders 

The issue for Mixon is not going to be the schedule so much as the fact that his team is going to be terrible.  Only two teams have lower Las Vegas projected win totals this season than the Bungles.  

Plus, Cincy was dead last in defense in yardage last year and 3rd to last in scoring defense.  What this means is that Cincinnati may be in a lot of situations where they have to throw, throw, throw to keep up and those negative game flow situations are not likely to help Mixon.  He is a good pass catcher, but I have a feeling Gio will take most of that 3rd down/catch-up role.  Let's look at the 10 games in which both Mixon and Gio were active last season and look at catches in each game.

Mixon: 5, 1, 2, 3, 7, 2, 5, 2, 2, 1.  Total: 30.

Gio: 1, 4, 2, 4, 1, 6, 2, 2, 2, 2.  Total: 26.

During the last games of the season, Gio had 27 targets;  Mixon had 27 as well.

(Gio carried the ball 56 times all year and had 48 targets.  He's there to catch passes.)

Also, the O-line is very poor.

I have no knocks on Mixon's ability and I've always been a big believer in him.  But this is a lousy situation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

How will the 3rd down/passing down work be split between him and Gio?

100% Gio...

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

The issue for Mixon is not going to be the schedule so much as the fact that his team is going to be terrible.  Only two teams have lower Las Vegas projected win totals this season than the Bungles.  

Plus, Cincy was dead last in defense in yardage last year and 3rd to last in scoring defense.  What this means is that Cincinnati may be in a lot of situations where they have to throw, throw, throw to keep up and those negative game flow situations are not likely to help Mixon.  He is a good pass catcher, but I have a feeling Gio will take most of that 3rd down/catch-up role.  Let's look at the 10 games in which both Mixon and Gio were active last season and look at catches in each game.

Mixon: 5, 1, 2, 3, 7, 2, 5, 2, 2, 1.  Total: 30.

Gio: 1, 4, 2, 4, 1, 6, 2, 2, 2, 2.  Total: 26.

During the last games of the season, Gio had 27 targets;  Mixon had 27 as well.

(Gio carried the ball 56 times all year and had 48 targets.  He's there to catch passes.)

Also, the O-line is very poor.

I have no knocks on Mixon's ability and I've always been a big believer in him.  But this is a lousy situation.

Is your thought that Mixon will have a worse season than in 2018? He had to deal with all of those obstacles you mention in 2018 and he still produced as he did. Do you think that the Bengals will be that much worse than they were, thus suppressing his production? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SyNdicateZ said:

100% Gio...

Different coaching staff and philosophy. What makes Gio any better than Mixon catching the ball? Mixon was dynamic last season. I think Mixon is going to be even more involved this season.

9 minutes ago, devaster said:

Different coaching staff and philosophy. What makes Gio any better than Mixon catching the ball? Mixon was dynamic last season. I think Mixon is going to be even more involved this season.

yes hes better catching and route running.

22 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

yes hes better catching and route running.

Meh, the old tired line. Gio has been overrated for so long, I can't wait until the dude retires.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, USWAY said:

I just think this line, if anything, is a little better this year and could take a bigger leap depending on how guys like Michael Jordan and Billy Price develop. It's definitely not worse, the offense scheme should be better and more modern, and Mixon averaged 4.9 ypc behind last years line.

Better than last year isn't saying much.  :) I think it will be below average, but as noted Mixon did pretty well last year behind it, so

On 8/16/2019 at 9:38 PM, bomont said:

Better than last year isn't saying much.  :) I think it will be below average, but as noted Mixon did pretty well last year behind it, so

Better than last season isn’t saying much?

Mixon finished the game which he got injured on like his 3rd carry while finishing with 9 pts. Sat out for two games and probably came back too early. He still finished as the 9th RB. 

Extrapolating his numbers last year if he played the two games would of put him back and neck with Tier 2 RBs 

Really torn on him at the end of the 1st/early 2nd.  On one hand I think he’s just as talented as any RB in the NFL yet that offense is terrifying.

3 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Really torn on him at the end of the 1st/early 2nd.  On one hand I think he’s just as talented as any RB in the NFL yet that offense is terrifying.

Just play it safe and pass on him. When I'm really enamored with a certain player but I keep going back and forth. Better to go with someone else, or you'll be pissed you made the wrong decision the whole season. I really have a hard time evaluating Joe Mixon this year, I do know the offense is trash , same as last year I guess, which he performed fine when he played. I've mock drafted about 50 times and not once have I drafted him. I dunno every time I see him I think of a big question ? Which is not what I'm looking for with my 2nd round pick.

I just drafted Joe Mixon at 19th overall (to compliment David Johnson as my RB1) and am already regretting it.  He's super talented but the bengals could be a dumpster fire this year.

3 minutes ago, lightweight3 said:

I just drafted Joe Mixon at 19th overall (to compliment David Johnson as my RB1) and am already regretting it.  He's super talented but the bengals could be a dumpster fire this year.

He should deliver RB2 numbers.  But his team limits his upside imo.  Kind of risky pairing him with DJ.

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

I dunno every time I see him I think of a big question ? Which is not what I'm looking for with my 2nd round pick.

So basically he's no different than any of the 2nd round RBs.

10 minutes ago, K197040 said:

He should deliver RB2 numbers.  But his team limits his upside imo.  Kind of risky pairing him with DJ.

Yeah agreed.  Not many goal line carries for the bengals this year.

27 minutes ago, Evincar said:

So basically he's no different than any of the 2nd round RBs.

Yeah pretty much , which is why I rather grab another stud WR. If I'm going to grab a RB in the 2nd round best believe , it's either Gurley or Cook . The risk to reward is too good to pass up. If you want to play it safe, just grab a WR or Kelce if you like having an advantage at the TE position. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nguvocity said:

Better than last season isn’t saying much?

Mixon finished the game which he got injured on like his 3rd carry while finishing with 9 pts. Sat out for two games and probably came back too early. He still finished as the 9th RB. 

Extrapolating his numbers last year if he played the two games would of put him back and neck with Tier 2 RBs 

I was talking about the OL.

yeah I get the worry on Mixon since OL hurt and AJ green.  But how much worse is it than last year?  the new coach seems a plus.  I mean what is wrong with RB9, missing 2 games, in the 2nd round?

If Green comes back and the coach is good, can't he be a bit better.  I don't get from anyone why he will be worse than last year.

53 minutes ago, tdfxman said:

yeah I get the worry on Mixon since OL hurt and AJ green.  But how much worse is it than last year?  the new coach seems a plus.  I mean what is wrong with RB9, missing 2 games, in the 2nd round?

If Green comes back and the coach is good, can't he be a bit better.  I don't get from anyone why he will be worse than last year.

Dalton staying healthy is the key. Mixon still produced with Jeff Driskel.

Part of Mixons ADP is the baked-in fear displayed by many Fantasy Footballers, which is on display here.

Definitely can take advantage of that during draft.

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jsch08 said:

I get the Bengals being awful worry. Mixon’s so talented though. Hard to pass up.

ya that's kind of where I'm coming from.  Really think he's just as talented as Zeke, Barkley, Kamara, CMC, or David Johnson just he's stuck in a bad offense.  Especially now with the AJ Green and OL injuries.

Still, he was arguably on a worse offense last year and finished as RB9 in points per game.  Plus I like the new offensive minded coaching staff that I assume will use the same system as McVay that emphasizes the RB.

The real debate for me is between Mixon, Chubb, and Conner in the late 1st/early 2nd.  Talent vs Situation dilemma.