joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Guwop said:

And on cue the "it's still early comments come in" it's looking rough until Green returns for reasons already stated and dismissed by some 

It’s still early 👀 

11 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I thought it was Marvin Lewis, but I'm beginning to think it is Joe Mixon. He just may not be that good. Let me clarify, he may not be THAT good, meaning he may not be as good as the expectations were when he was drafted.

I agree. I’m sure the supporters of him will come back with he missed 2 games last year bla bla bla. Cincy as a whole is below average and the O line is worse than that. At least Andy’s a solid Pro and the other weapons are worth the trouble. Mixon will have some success but I feel like if your starting him your not going to be beating the top teams on a week to week basis. There are too many questions regarding RBs after this weeks games. At least we don’t have any more about Joe.

Next week should be much better against a Bills D not that good against the run. Will have to monitor his health status leading up to the game, but i'm looking to start him.

I'm looking to start him as I have no other options. Watched a little bit of that game and can't tell if the O-line was that bad when I was watching, if Mixon isn't as good as people say he is or a bit of both. 

20 minutes ago, Resident A-hole said:

Cincy has a bottom-5 O-line, and they face a top-5 D in Buffalo. I'd stay away.

Well at least game script will be in favor. Buffalo's O is nothing to write home about so the Bengals can't abandon the run so quickly.

1 hour ago, egolam said:

Next week should be much better against a Bills D not that good against the run. Will have to monitor his health status leading up to the game, but i'm looking to start him.

28 minutes ago, Resident A-hole said:

Cincy has a bottom-5 O-line, and they face a top-5 D in Buffalo. I'd stay away.

Which is it?

2 minutes ago, itslarry said:

Which is it?

Unfortunately it's gonna be much closer to the latter. But as most, if you drafted him pretty early, if he's healthy you still gotta trot him out there. 

6 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Well at least game script will be in favor. Buffalo's O is nothing to write home about so the Bengals can't abandon the run so quickly.

Michael Jordan and Andre Smith both got hurt last week, so this line will be reeling even more this week. Buffalo's pass D is elite and while their run D has lagged behind, they do have some young studs to be reckoned with in the front 7 with Edmunds, Oliver, and Milano.

This is a volume-based play. I don't think Mixon will have too much room to run, but I can still see him having a productive day. I say 19/71/1 TD + 2/24 in the air.

• Like 2

Everyone doing mental gymnastics as to why Mixon is struggling. He struggled mightily in 2017 too, remember? That was a bottom 3 o-line. It improved a bit in 2018, but with injuries in 2019 to Jonah Williams, and their best lineman, Clint Boling (who retired almost 2 months ago), the line is pretty much back to it’s 2017 state. Look at the pff grades. They’re just awful. The center is good tho. 

Opposing defenses are shutting down the run game and challenging Dalton to beat them with Boyd and Ross. Mixon’s outlook will look a little better once Green comes back, but he’ll be low end RB 2 with that line

Edited by Chippa

Hard to bench a home run hitter that's getting touches IMO. 

Yes, the line is likely worst in NFL, but dudes got speed and is a home run hitter. He breaks one he can easily get a 50 yard TD. 

He's still getting decent volume and I imagine if this team can ever get first downs he'd see even more touches. These guys seem to have only 3 types of passing plays though .

50+ yard TD or incomplete pass. 

• Thanks 1

Number 1 rushing offense in NFL: Baltimore with 223.5 yards per game

Number 32 rushing offense in NFL: Cincinnati with 29.5 yards per game

Ouch... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RockSexton said:

Dunno what I was thinking drafting a guy who runs behind such a POS offensive line.

Because Mixon is a top 10 fantasy pick (maybe higher) based on talent and you should draft talented football players? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

Because Mixon is a top 10 fantasy pick (maybe higher) based on talent and you should draft talented football players? 

That worked well for Gurley owners when he was with Jeff Fisher, no?

14 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Did people know ahead of time how much of a disaster that would be? I’m guessing not as he oftentimes was drafted rb1 in 2016. I guess people with crystal balls avoided him.

Did those same people who knew to avoid Gurley in 2016 also knew to make sure to get him at all costs in 2017? 

If such a person exists, they’ll make a killing in the stock market with their clairvoyance. The better strategy is just to take talented players and for the most part it works out. Otherwise you end up with a James Conner in round 1.

• Like 3

Mixon needs the pass game to loosen the defense up. Can't count on the OL getting better but if they're passing for 300+ and 2 TDs while rushing for under 30 ypg, eventually defenses are going to change how they play this team...right?

2 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Mixon needs the pass game to loosen the defense up. Can't count on the OL getting better but if they're passing for 300+ and 2 TDs while rushing for under 30 ypg, eventually defenses are going to change how they play this team...right?

only once Green comes back. Andy's ok, Boyd's a decent possesion man, and Ross is inconsistent. Cant count on those 3 to carry an offense with a trash line

• Like 1

Holy smokes you all need to take a deep breath. He got hurt early week 1 and there was a terrible game script this week. It’s TWO WEEKS folks, relax 

9 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

I thought it was Marvin Lewis, but I'm beginning to think it is Joe Mixon. He just may not be that good. Let me clarify, he may not be THAT good, meaning he may not be as good as the expectations were when he was drafted.

Mixon is extremely good, the line is just garbage.

5 hours ago, Chippa said:

Saquon Barkley. Let's move on.

Edited by miasma16

Mixon is good but he's no Barkley and that OL is pathetic. He's on my bench without hesitation next week. The Bills have a very good D, after some early success on their first drive, Barkley was more or less shut down this week. Don't chase draft pick status.