joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

On 9/17/2019 at 7:37 AM, SkinsChargersFan said:

Is the O-Line getting healthier anytime soon, or is it pretty much as-is for the season? I know a couple guys got banged up this past week... are those injuries long term?

I haven’t watched the Bengals yet this year and really don’t know their O-Lineman very well, other than the poor PFF grades.  

I’m not a Mixon owner, but the owner in one of my leagues desperately needs a position I have excess strength at, so I was considering a buy low offer.  However, reading through the takes on this thread, I’m thinking he might be a stay away.

OT Andre Smith left the Niners game with a groin injury but is expected to return this week

LG Michael Jordan also left the Niners game with a knee injury and is "day-to-day" but not expected to play this Sunday

OT Cordy Glenn has missed both games with a concussion suffered before the season and has been out for awhile and is still not practicing but his condition has improved and he is now day-to-day as well. Not going to return this Sunday but maybe next week. His return could help

• Thanks 4

Pretty encouraging game today. It's crazy how much better the offense is when they get him out into space and don't just run him up the middle every play. Could've easily had 2 TDs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zac Taylor needs to realize Mixon can’t also run a half back draw. Idk what he learned from running with the rams but he should learn to have Dalton line up behind center a few times, hand off to Mixon. One of Mixons best runs was when he did this...

Then you can get the offense with a play action.

Anyways, I think better days are to come for Mixon.

9 hours ago, BearDownBears said:

Pretty encouraging game today. It's crazy how much better the offense is when they get him out into space and don't just run him up the middle every play. Could've easily had 2 TDs. 

This x10. It's not rocket science. He literally gets nothing up the middle. He's a dynamic talent, you gotta get him the ball in space. Luckily they did a bit today. I still think he ends up a bust given his ADP just because I don't see him getting 5 catches a game or scoring more than 6-8 TDs on this anemic offense. Matchup based RB2 the rest of the way IMO. 

11 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This x10. It's not rocket science. He literally gets nothing up the middle. He's a dynamic talent, you gotta get him the ball in space. Luckily they did a bit today. I still think he ends up a bust given his ADP just because I don't see him getting 5 catches a game or scoring more than 6-8 TDs on this anemic offense. Matchup based RB2 the rest of the way IMO. 

Bought low on him so perfectly fine with this assessment, if you drafted him though you really just gotta bite the bullet, he isnt losing you your league

Do folks think this week vs Pit might be when Mixon finally breaks out?  They've given up bunches of yards and points.  Gamescript shouldn't be as much of an issue this week?

4 hours ago, ZappB said:

Do folks think this week vs Pit might be when Mixon finally breaks out?  They've given up bunches of yards and points.  Gamescript shouldn't be as much of an issue this week?

From watching their game against Buffalo, game script wasn’t really an issue as the game was tight throughout. The OL and playcalling is really hindering Mixon. OL is getting no push at the LoS and when they got to 1st and goal, Dalton sneaks it in himself. Getting him out in space on screens or a rollout resulted in big gains and a td. A more creative playcall/game plan could probably turn it around despite the atrocious OL.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Thanks 1

I thought this coach was a McVay disciple. Interesting that his play calling lacks creativity. Or at least that he isn’t getting his best playmaker into space. 

1 minute ago, Sonny_D said:

I thought this coach was a McVay disciple. Interesting that his play calling lacks creativity. Or at least that he isn’t getting his best playmaker into space. 

McVay's playcalling in the SB lacked creativity...why is this a surprise to people?

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

McVay's playcalling in the SB lacked creativity...why is this a surprise to people?

I guess you missed the 2nd part to my statement. Plus, it was 1 game. You’re gonna use 1 game to decide he isn’t creative?  But to expand, he took the Rams to scoring 30+ points a game how many times in his tenure? With that crappy QB no less. Maybe he isn’t “creative” but he gets his offenses to score. 

• Like 1

He should have a decent week, but as mentioned, the problem is playcalling, his usage, and the abysmal Oline. We know there's no hope for the line, but with more screen passes, runs outside, and third down work/dumpoffs, his value gets closer to his ADP. Question is will we see that. 

3 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Wait... McVay already has a disciple? Isn’t he like 19? 

3 hours ago, Asian Sensation said:

Wait... McVay already has a disciple? Isn’t he like 19? 

AB was Juju's disciple when Juju was 19

Edited by Novaray
  • Haha 1

traded for him in two leagues...looked good on the catch TD and another run or two..hopefully there's an uptick in production soon!

• Haha 1

It was also good to see his usage not dwindle when they fell behind.   Honestly it was decent coaching by them to not get overly aggressive and to keep slow, methodical balanced drives to catch up- they just needed one more stop or a little better 4th quarter luck.  Also good that we didn't get much Gio there- Mixon looked healthy and i'm feeling good right now with him.   

Looking ahead, I'd feel fine starting Mixon this week and next week against Ari, but then it's @Bal, Jax, @LAR, and Bal again.  It's going to be a rough one...  

6 hours ago, ZappB said:

Looking ahead, I'd feel fine starting Mixon this week and next week against Ari, but then it's @Bal, Jax, @LAR, and Bal again.  It's going to be a rough one...  

Yep. Brutal schedule, bad game scripts, horrific Oline, who knows when AJ will be back. I see him having a very productive week which is nice but what you mention still leaves his overall outlook pretty bleak. 

12 hours ago, ZappB said:

Yeah but peep that end of the fantasy season/playoff schedule. League winner s---.

6 hours ago, Tribe Called Questionable said:

What's going to happen here Monday night?

I know it's very difficult to have any confidence in him right now but I think a reasonable expectation is 100 and a TD. Pitt sucks so he shouldn't be gamescripted out which helps. 

• Thanks 1

The worst kind of player to hold onto.

Zero value with the way he's playing - but he's healthy. Relegated to low end RB3 status, with zero appeal in the trade market from anyone. The Bengals don't look like they are going to get any better with or without Green.

He either rots on your bench and sink you with his draft capital that you couldve used on someone else or you use him in your lineup and suffer the consequences. 

Just absolutely brutal. 

No way this guy is a RB1 with this putrid team, tremendous talent but this team isnt much better than miami. He might be a RB2 on talent alone, but that was ugly ugly

Edited by dakimbell

How the hell has Dalton lasted on the Bengals longer than Flacco on the Ravens?

Mixon should request a trade.

Rule #1 on draft day: do not waste a second round pick on a RB who plays on a team who will be playing from behind all season and has a putrid offense line.

• Thanks 1