joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, FreakFries said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Ingram? I am probably missing something but didn't the Ravens have a good O Line and the most run heavy team in the NFL? He seems like a pretty solid bet for steady RB2 production to me. Having done zeros research. 

Sorry. Wrong thread.

Re: Mixon, this:

"Jonah Williams + Michael Jordan.  Starting right tackle and guard.  Good ones. 

All aboard. "

Jonah is gonna be a stud.

5 hours ago, BrianM said:

The only guy I remember anyone being "but but his schedule" about last year was Davante Adams, and we know how that played out.    If you believe in the player/offense, you dont worry about the schedule, which probably isn't going to go the way you think anyways.  

Schedules are not even something I glance at at drafts.

• Like 2

Is anyone worried that they drafted 2 rbs and signed another off of waivers recently. By all accounts, Rodney Anderson may be the most talented rb in this draft class, Darren Hall is the kind of rb that could be used at the goal line, and Trayveon Williams is no slouch in the passing game. These are probably just depth signings, but they may still siphon touches. 

4 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

Is anyone worried that they drafted 2 rbs and signed another off of waivers recently. By all accounts, Rodney Anderson may be the most talented rb in this draft class, Darren Hall is the kind of rb that could be used at the goal line, and Trayveon Williams is no slouch in the passing game. These are probably just depth signings, but they may still siphon touches. 

No. The only real threat to mixons touches is if Bernard is used in too many packages with the coaches looking to exploit a mismatch

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

By all accounts, Rodney Anderson may be the most talented rb in this draft

That seems a big statement for a guy who had 18 RBs drafted ahead of him, including one on his own Bengals. 
His talent is fine (his highlight reel is very fine), but he has had a crapton of injuries. I don't see him knocking off Mixon any time soon, although he could of course play if Mixon/Gio get injured.

Stopped watching the draft before Anderson's number was called. He is extremely talented and if he'd landed on another team I think he would have the talent to be a very good back in this league. That said, I don't see him overtaking Mixon.

9 hours ago, wonderbread said:

Is anyone worried that they drafted 2 rbs and signed another off of waivers recently.

I'm as worried as I was about Gio Bernard last year.

9 hours ago, wonderbread said:

By all accounts, Rodney Anderson may be the most talented rb in this draft class

Huh?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Huh?

Well, it's a pretty common opinion that if Rodney Anderson could have stayed healthy in 2018, he would have been the 1st RB off the board. I don't really think this is that bold of a statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wonderbread said:

Well, it's a pretty common opinion that if Rodney Anderson could have stayed healthy in 2018, he would have been the 1st RB off the board. I don't really think this is that bold of a statement.

Daniel was taken at #6 by the Giants so anything is possible in this past draft 👀

3 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

Doesnt help that he couldnt stay healthy in 2016 or 2015 either.  Poor kid has had some rough luck.

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'm as worried as I was about Gio Bernard last year.

Agreed, Gio looks to be on the way out the door and these signings may be with the thought of replacing him in mind, but I still wonder of maybe Mixon will be less of a bell cow this year. He did have some health issues of his own last year and Anderson/Hall could be used to try and keep him healthy. I asked the original question with the idea that Mixon may no longer be a bell cow, and not the idea that someone will unseat him all together.

4 hours ago, wonderbread said:

I still wonder of maybe Mixon will be less of a bell cow this year

Don't worry.  That's all I can tell you.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Don't worry.  That's all I can tell you.

I'm a project manager. People telling me not to worry generally confirms there's something to worry about :)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I'm a project manager. People telling me not to worry generally confirms there's something to worry about :)

I hear ya there...  I'm just saying...  Everyone worried about Gio last year.  People are worried Mixon won't be the workhorse this year... But there's no reason to worry at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

I hear ya there...  I'm just saying...  Everyone worried about Gio last year.  People are worried Mixon won't be the workhorse this year... But there's no reason to worry at all.

There has been no indication from the new staff if they plan to keep his role the same or alter it.

There is no indication from the staff what the new offense will look like in terms of schemes/packages, philosophy etc.

Mixon will either be a workhorse or he will be in a rbbc  if the HC believes in keeping rb's fresh for a full season like a pederson

Im not too worried personally. The draft picks did make me raise an eyebrow but gio probably has one foot out the door and they just cut Walton this offseason. There was depth needed behind mixon. 

The only evidence we have for Taylor in the NFL is being the OC for Miami in 2015:

Miller - 194 for 872
Ajayi - 49 for 187
Gray - 31 for 122
Damien 16 for 59

Can't take something like this as gospel but it does paint the image of riding 1 main back, albeit in a low volune attack and 4 years ago. Most recently he was with the Rams, whos use of Gurley could have had an influence on him.

His current OC Chad O'Shea only has history as a recievers coach so there isnt much we can take away there, other then spending alot of time around belichick who loves using an RBBC.

Overall its going to be tough to predict what exactly will happen with the workload, but i believe in his talent. I think its going to be hard for gio or a rookie to eat into more time then they already have.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Im not too worried personally. The draft picks did make me raise an eyebrow but gio probably has one foot out the door and they just cut Walton this offseason. There was depth needed behind mixon. 

The only evidence we have for Taylor in the NFL is being the OC for Miami in 2015:

Miller - 194 for 872
Ajayi - 49 for 187
Gray - 31 for 122
Damien 16 for 59

Can't take something like this as gospel but it does paint the image of riding 1 main back, albeit in a low volune attack and 4 years ago. Most recently he was with the Rams, whos use of Gurley could have had an influence on him.

His current OC Chad O'Shea only has history as a recievers coach so there isnt much we can take away there, other then spending alot of time around belichick who loves using an RBBC.

Overall its going to be tough to predict what exactly will happen with the workload, but i believe in his talent. I think its going to be hard for gio or a rookie to eat into more time then they already have.

Agreed.   It will take a Mixon injury for the rookies to have enough opportunity to be a threat.   Gio is on his way out if Traveon is any good.    Rodney is the replacement for Walton as primary backup.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Agreed.   It will take a Mixon injury for the rookies to have enough opportunity to be a threat.   Gio is on his way out if Traveon is any good.    Rodney is the replacement for Walton as primary backup.   

a consideration: gio may be on his way out of cinci via trade, but as long as he's there he should have cop and backup work solidified: with the exception of one game against a tough vikings' defense in 2017, gio has averaged 4.6-5.92 yards per carry when given double-digit carries (2017-2018). his hands have been reliable as well. at 27 and healthy, he is primed and producing when given the chance; if mixon goes down or gets suspended, can't see trayveon bucking gio for major touches considering the way gio has filled in for mixon over the past two seasons. trayveon is more of a committee RB than a lead back, imo and from texas usage, regardless of what some people think about him being undersized. i like gio for a dirt cheap buy in dynasty.

20 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

a consideration: gio may be on his way out of cinci via trade, but as long as he's there he should have cop and backup work solidified: with the exception of one game against a tough vikings' defense in 2017, gio has averaged 4.6-5.92 yards per carry when given double-digit carries (2017-2018). his hands have been reliable as well. at 27 and healthy, he is primed and producing when given the chance; if mixon goes down or gets suspended, can't see trayveon bucking gio for major touches considering the way gio has filled in for mixon over the past two seasons. trayveon is more of a committee RB than a lead back, imo and from texas usage, regardless of what some people think about him being undersized. i like gio for a dirt cheap buy in dynasty.

Solidified wouldn’t be my choice of words.  Ill give Gio the nod for COP duties until the rookies get their feet wet...but they’re going to want to see what they have in the rookies sooner than later.  Cincy thinks these two were the steals of the draft.   

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Pass protection is usually what determines how much opportunity a backup rookie gets. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Pass protection is usually what determines how much opportunity a backup rookie gets. 

Indeed....there’s not much debate Gio is the heavy fave for COP duties early.    Hopefully no one is under the impression his job is safe for long. 

Traveon is a real talent and on a rookie contract.   

34 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Indeed....there’s not much debate Gio is the heavy fave for COP duties early.    Hopefully no one is under the impression his job is safe for long. 

Traveon is a real talent and on a rookie contract.   

Trayveon is very good in pass protection. Not saying he'll beat out Gio, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he did

• Thanks 1

The Bengals have been experimenting with moving Cordy Glenn to Guard to make room for Jonah at LT (https://local12.com/sports/bengals/williams-at-left-tackle-and-glenn-at-left-guard-in-bengals-sloppy-first-ota-practice-cincinnati-jonah-cordy-zac-taylor-nfl-football).

As a Bills fan, I remember Cordy being lauded for his footwork in pass protection rather than being a road-grader in the run game (though the 2011-2018 Bills teams often featured very rush-heavy attacks). He is a massive man and I'm no expert about O-Line play, but I feel he would be better suited taking over for Bobby Hart at RT then kicking inside. They have a 1st round talent at C in Price, a high-upside rookie G in Michael Jordan, and I know they signed John Miller (another former Bill), who was a very solid run blocker during his time in BLO. Hopefully they end up sitting Hart for Glenn, it's only May after all.

As for Mixon I think this line is significantly improved over last year. He has some talent behind him in Gio and Anderson, but he should still dominate touches in a annually underrated offense. He's my favorite of the guys going at the 1-2 turn (Conner, DJ, Cook, Chubb).

Edited by Olliemets
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

The Bengals have been experimenting with moving Cordy Glenn to Guard to make room for Jonah at LT (https://local12.com/sports/bengals/williams-at-left-tackle-and-glenn-at-left-guard-in-bengals-sloppy-first-ota-practice-cincinnati-jonah-cordy-zac-taylor-nfl-football).

As a Bills fan, I remember Cordy being lauded for his footwork in pass protection rather than being a road-grader in the run game (though the 2011-2018 Bills teams often featured very rush-heavy attacks). He is a massive man and I'm no expert about O-Line play, but I feel he would be better suited taking over for Bobby Hart at RT then kicking inside. They have a 1st round talent at C in Price, a high-upside rookie G in Michael Jordan, and I know they signed John Miller (another former Bill), who was a very solid run blocker during his time in BLO. Hopefully they end up sitting Hart for Glenn, it's only May after all.

As for Mixon I think this line is significantly improved over last year. He has some talent behind him in Gio and Anderson, but he should still dominate touches in a annually underrated offense. He's my favorite of the guys going at the 1-2 turn (Conner, DJ, Cook, Chubb).

Would be pumped to land DJ/Mixon at the turn, but DJ wont be around. His ADP is 6 on FFC and 10 on FP.