joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

Bengals needed to draft RB's because they needed to replace the ones they had. 

Walton was done. Too much off field for a marginal talent. He was gonna be replaced. Gios time is coming to an end. He needs to be replaced. The bengals didn't address position until like 6th round so it wasn't that big of a deal either. They clearly believe in Mixon. 

Lazer is finally gone and with him the stupid ideas. He only really gave Mixon extended run when Gio was hurt and the offense actually looked good. When Gio was healthy he got extended run and the offense became stagnant again. 

Bengals drafted 2 OL before they drafted 1 RB. That to me shows focus on protecting the QB and bettering the current faces of the run game. Healthy AJG, Boyd, and Eifert? Should help the run game out as well. 

• Like 3

On 5/7/2019 at 8:40 PM, Boudewijn said:

That seems a big statement for a guy who had 18 RBs drafted ahead of him, including one on his own Bengals. 
His talent is fine (his highlight reel is very fine), but he has had a crapton of injuries. I don't see him knocking off Mixon any time soon, although he could of course play if Mixon/Gio get injured.

Only because of injury.

I can see Anderson pushing for time in the Playoffs.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:04 AM, wonderbread said:

Well, it's a pretty common opinion that if Rodney Anderson could have stayed healthy in 2018, he would have been the 1st RB off the board. I don't really think this is that bold of a statement.

I don't know about 1st, but very likely top 5.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jags02 said:

Only because of injury.

I can see Anderson pushing for time in the Playoffs.

No. Just no.

The bottom line on Rodney Anderson is that you probably don't take him if it's just for this year, but in a dynasty league you'd have to consider him.

That said, as this is a Joe Mixon thread...

I can see him among the top RB with like 1200 yards rushing, but I don't see Cincy throwing to him as much even though he will have a few big plays catching the ball. 

Edited by Jags02

5 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

The bottom line on Rodney Anderson is that you probably don't take him if it's just for this year, but in a dynasty league you'd have to consider him. 

I am in on Mixon this year so I may be interested in his cuff. Saying he will push Mixon for work in the playoffs doesnt seem to take into consideration that Mixon is a really good player. There is no chance he significantly eats into a healthy Mixon workload this season.

Edited by dmb3684

If not for off the field issues, Joe Mixon quite possibly might have been a top 10 pick. I think there's no question he would have been a 1st rounder in a draft full of stud running backs: Fournette, CMC, Dalvin, Kamara, Hunt, etc. Many analysts said Mixon might have been the best of the bunch.

Anderson is good; I don't think he's a legit threat to Mixon.

Edited by timexsocialclub

Certainly not a legit threat by any means, but maybe a threat to hone in on a select few of Mixon's carries. 

5 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

Certainly not a legit threat by any means, but maybe a threat to hone in on a select few of Mixon's carries. 

Show me a running back in the NFL that is the only back on his team...

The thing about Mixon is that he can catch and I believe with Lazer gone, he will. 

He's a 3 down back. 

His senior season... 35+ / 550+ / 5

He didn't catch as much cause Lazer was hell bent on using Gio. The games Gio missed Mixon was a 3 down horse and the Bengals offense looked legit. When Gio came back Mixon was used sparingly in the pass game. I believe that Mixon is not only capable of being an effective pass catching back, but believe he is and will be MUCH better at it than Gio. 

I believe his opportunity for a steady 3 down role comes in 2019 as long as health is on his side.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, smeeze said:

Show me a running back in the NFL that is the only back on his team...

^ This. So much this.

NFL teams rush the ball on average 400+ times, and even the bottom 5 do easily 300+ carries. There is always room for a second guy, and guess what, the second guy is always there.

• Like 2

It's rare for me to look at drafting any Bengal but Mixon looks promising with a high floor and upside this year. 

Is it crazy to draft him in the 1st round?  I love the idea of the Bengals running a Rams style offense with Zac Taylor.  Whether he's good at playcalling or not is still in question, but the Bengals offense was actually rolling last year before all the injuries.

12 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Is it crazy to draft him in the 1st round?  I love the idea of the Bengals running a Rams style offense with Zac Taylor.  Whether he's good at playcalling or not is still in question, but the Bengals offense was actually rolling last year before all the injuries.

12 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

You will have to draft him in the 1st. FFC has him at 1.11 and FP at 2.2. He will be around the turn, and is one of my favorite players there.

Mixon is trending upwards right now. Hes going to be in the Gurley roll of that offense. To me he RB6 right after DJ and I think I prefer starting my draft with  him then grabbing Adams/Hopkins. Really good value if you're doing bestballs or drafting early.

54 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

I prefer starting my draft with  him then grabbing Adams/Hopkins.

You mean the other way around? Especially if you're in a 10-team league and you had mid-late pick. Hopkins or Adams first, and then Mixon at the top of the 2nd round. It's a guarantee that either of those WR1's will be taken by the end of the 1st. In a 12-team, best of luck.

49 minutes ago, dropshadows said:

You mean the other way around? Especially if you're in a 10-team league and you had mid-late pick. Hopkins or Adams first, and then Mixon at the top of the 2nd round. It's a guarantee that either of those WR1's will be taken by the end of the 1st. In a 12-team, best of luck.

I agree Hop/Adams  don't make it to early 2nd. With picks 6 to 9 in my 10 team league, my mocks starting with Hopkins/Adams + Mixon look pretty decent.

Like Mixon...but not enough to take him first round.   Agree with the WRs being a better choice late first.   As long as u get your top 2 rbs by round 5.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Like Mixon...but not enough to take him first round.   Agree with the WRs being a better choice late first.   As long as u get your top 2 rbs by round 5.  

Care to elaborate why you wouldn’t take him? I had him last year and besides the injury he played well. I’m not a big WR first round kind of drafter so I’m just curious. 

15 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

Care to elaborate why you wouldn’t take him? I had him last year and besides the injury he played well. I’m not a big WR first round kind of drafter so I’m just curious. 

I don’t feel there’s a huge difference between Mixon and many of the rbs going 1-2 rounds later.   Fournette, Jacobs, A Jones.   Or even the guys you might see on the backside of the turn-   Cook, Gurley, Chubb, Bell

The first turn is the only place to get first tier WRs.    They drop off quick and then level out.  

JMO 

Edited by Impreza178

38 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I don’t feel there’s a huge difference between Mixon and many of the rbs going 1-2 rounds later.   Fournette, Jacobs, A Jones.   Or even the guys you might see on the backside of the turn-   Cook, Gurley, Chubb, Bell

The first turn is the only place to get first tier WRs.    They drop off quick and then level out.  

JMO 

I feel that, Jacobs is supposed to be the undisputed workhorse for OAK? 

23 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

I feel that, Jacobs is supposed to be the undisputed workhorse for OAK? 

It's a very common assumption, I don't get it

9 hours ago, dropshadows said:

I only play in 12 team leagues.

Mixon will never make it back to you unless you pick at 11 or 12. I'm seeing him gone before those picks in the 1st more and more as well. If you start WR you're looking at Cook/Chubb at rb,Kelce, or going WR/WR. I've done a ton of bestball draft and I like the way my teams look going Rb round 1. I like the WR's in round 3-5 much better then RBs.  

Edited by buzzkilloton
  • Like 2