joebaker23

Joe Mixon 2019 Outlook

I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic.  If you're serious, I don't see any reason for panic. Did they lose any OL? I'm thinking if it's no worse than last year that isn't so bad. 

2 minutes ago, bomont said:

I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic.  If you're serious, I don't see any reason for panic. Did they lose any OL? I'm thinking if it's no worse than last year that isn't so bad. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034530/article/bengals-rookie-ot-jonah-williams-likely-to-miss-season

Losing JW hurts but won’t their OL still be better than last year? This is the last first round rb I would feel good about drafting (don’t like James Conner)

2 hours ago, bomont said:

Sorry, I meant besides the rookie, like FAs etc.

Lol. Just admit you didn't realize. That was a big deal. Their OL was terrible last year. Jonah was gonna help propel him to top echilon numbers. 

? No idea what you're talking about. Obviously losing the OL rookie was a significant and I already said (and clarified) I didn't know much about their OL beyond that, meaning did they lose anyone to free agency, how good/bad were they last year etc. 

PS Mixon was already putting up top echelon numbers last year, which was my point: even without the rookie it appears their run blocking was at least good enough for him to put up really good numbers, so if it's otherwise intact, I wouldn't be too worried about losing Williams.

16 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Can we have a quote on that? What I see is that it's conjecture from a "The Atheletic" beat writer (Paul Dehner Jr). However, what I think he said is:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/whats-in-store-for-the-bengals-in-2019-heres-what-we-know-about-one-of-the-nfls-biggest-enigmas/

That's nice... but it seems to be his conjecture.

(Warning: I can't be arsed to listen to an hour of podcast, so maybe he also mentions at some point he heard it from Taylor at the annual bbq. If so, let me know.)

I'm trying to recall where I read it. It was the same discussion about Bernard getting more reps, but there was a quote from the HC about this helping to keep Mixon fresh. It's not like they're putting Mixon on a snap count, but it sounds like they're going to be careful to not wear him out. I sensed it may have been a quote he said previously, but the extra reps for Bernard seem to confirm the quote. That's kind of how I recall it, but if someone really wants to be sure they can listen to the podcast or the video of the press coverage.

2 hours ago, Jags02 said:

I'm trying to recall where I read it. It was the same discussion about Bernard getting more reps, but there was a quote from the HC about this helping to keep Mixon fresh. It's not like they're putting Mixon on a snap count, but it sounds like they're going to be careful to not wear him out. I sensed it may have been a quote he said previously, but the extra reps for Bernard seem to confirm the quote. That's kind of how I recall it, but if someone really wants to be sure they can listen to the podcast or the video of the press coverage.

Mixon finished as a top 10 rb, but still missed 2 1/2 games, so getting GIO some extra reps is going to help him out tremendously. In 13 games he had 280 reps and seemed to wear down, so this could benefit Mixon.

11 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Mixon finished as a top 10 rb, but still missed 2 1/2 games, so getting GIO some extra reps is going to help him out tremendously. In 13 games he had 280 reps and seemed to wear down, so this could benefit Mixon.

You didn't watch a single Bengals game last year did you? 

Now starting O-lineman Clint Boling retires. Mixon dropping on my board. Low RB1 / High RB2 now...

21 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Now starting O-lineman Clint Boling retires. Mixon dropping on my board. Low RB1 / High RB2 now...

Gosh dammit. Unbelievable. 

I was so high on this freaking guy going into season. Think I'm about to jump ship though and see if Juju owner wants to make a straight swap. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I was so high on this freaking guy going into season. Think I'm about to jump ship though and see if Juju owner wants to make a straight swap. 

Word around camp was that Boling was sent to be cut anyway as he had no guaranteed money on his deal. I'm hoping 4th round rookie G Michael Jordan out of Ohio St steps into this void. They traded up to get him in the 4th, he was a 2nd team All American G last year, 1st team Big 10, who's 6'7" 311 LBS. I pray that the buzz that the Cinci linemen dropping like flies drives down Mixon to the early-mid 2nd because he's an absolute no-brainer there (all of this is assuming health for the OL, the depth is glaringly bad).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

Word around camp was that Boling was sent to be cut anyway as he had no guaranteed money on his deal. I'm hoping 4th round rookie G Michael Jordan out of Ohio St steps into this void. They traded up to get him in the 4th, he was a 2nd team All American G last year, 1st team Big 10, who's 6'7" 311 LBS. I pray that the buzz that the Cinci linemen dropping like flies drives down Mixon to the early-mid 2nd because he's an absolute no-brainer there (all of this is assuming health for the OL, the depth is glaringly bad).

Why is Donald Penn or Jeremy parnell not on this team yet? 

This team has money. Are they just resigned to "let it ride"? 

• Like 2

Is John Jerry going to start at Left Guard for the Bengals?

He is way too big to move (6'6, 350 pounds) and cannot generate a push with too high a pad level. Great pass-blocker tho. If he is starting, Mixon's value takes a major dip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'd see what the Derrick Henry owner is talking bout.

• Haha 3

Every time I read something about the OL it seems it's different and I can't get a fix on it at all but I do know Mixon did well last year behind what is I think about the same OL this year, and it sounds like this guy's loss isn't exactly massive, so I only have Mixon down just a tiny bit. I wouldn't panic. 

6 hours ago, Olliemets said:

I'm hoping 4th round rookie G Michael Jordan out of Ohio St steps into this void. They traded up to get him in the 4th, he was a 2nd team All American G last year, 1st team Big 10, who's 6'7" 311 LBS.

I will admit my ignorance here: isn't moving a Guard to Center a pretty big deal, and won't he have a learning curve, especially the first year?

Tackle to Guard sure, but G to C doesn't sound like a slam dunk to me.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

I will admit my ignorance here: isn't moving a Guard to Center a pretty big deal, and won't he have a learning curve, especially the first year?

Tackle to Guard sure, but G to C doesn't sound like a slam dunk to me.

Many guards are often trained as both guards and centers. 

It often has to do with arm lengths and other physical attributes determine where one is better suited to play. 

Your shorter armed big guys will be groomed for the inside (G / C) whereas many longer armed bigs that have a quick enough first step will be taught to play on the outside (T). 

Basically every center can play the guard position, not every guard plays center though, but many are trained at it and you just don't realize it until the incumbent C is injured or leaves the team. 

Michael Jordan in this case was first team guard and 2nd team center so he's got the chops to pull this off in theory. 

• Thanks 1

Damn. Dude had clear breakout potential going into his third year with the way the Bengals invested in the Oline. I'm not giving up but after the draft I thought it was awesome a guy like Boling was simply going to be a depth piece. It's not even camp yet and OL are dropping like flies.

• Like 2

I hope Mixon sinks in the rankings and my co-owners are buying into it. 

1 hour ago, bomont said:

I hope Mixon sinks in the rankings and my co-owners are buying into it. 

Buying into offensive line being important?   

• Haha 1

Its really hard to quit Mixon even with this development.   MG3 can't go ahead of him right now unless you have brass balls..  Gurley's for sure going behind him (and should), and I don't expect Zeke to miss time given he needs to report in August to get that accrual, but its at least something to monitor.    I personally won't draft Bell anywhere near the early 2nd round either, so that late first/early second is a scary place right now.   

3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Buying into offensive line being important?   

Buying into him doing worse (perhaps much worse) than last year despite having almost the same OL (and overall offense) as last year.

I thought that was incredibly obvious. My bad!

Just now, bomont said:

Buying into him doing worse (perhaps much worse) than last year despite having almost the same OL (and overall offense) as last year.

I thought that was incredibly obvious. My bad!

What if Andy Dalton and AJ Green stay healthy all year?