Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

41 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This is of course hyperbole if you are ranking brown as a wr3 . . .:lol:

I'd love AB at that discount.

• Like 1

Who's the obvious historical parallel here? Terrell Owens of course.  TO pulled this in Philly back in 2005.   The same stuff happened in fantasy circles.   People just assumed he was absolutely mind-gone, and stayed away from him as he was sure to derail again, right?.   What happened next:   WR2 and WR3 overall in PPR in the next two seasons as a Cowboy.  When he first got to Dallas, he was older than Brown is now.  

I don't think this situation in any way shape or form compares to TO's dysfunction.   He just couldn't help himself, had to trash his coaches and QB regularly.   We're not even half of that crazy with AB right now.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Whether he stays in Pittsburgh or leaves to join another NFL team, Brown will be nowhere near my top 25 ranked WRs.  Can't risk this guy imploding and turning on whatever coaching staff and QB he ends up with, if he ends up anywhere at all.

who do you have ranked #25?

1 hour ago, devaster said:

top-10 in Oakland? I don't know about that. Amari would disappear for long stretches, even with Gruden. Carr is a problem. Maybe AB would get after Carr and force Carr to feed him though. Amari comes across less confrontational.

Well, Carr did support 2 top 15 fantasy WR in 2016 (Crabtree #11 & Amari #13) & the year before they were both top 25 fantasy WR.  AB is better than both and has lesser competition for targets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devaster said:

I'd love AB at that discount.

AB in your flex slot  = league winner. . .:lol:

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Wanting to force a trade by being disruptive is "gone nuts"? how else do you force a trade with a team that doesnt actually want to trade you? I think he put on a circus act to get out of Pitt for whatever his reasons are but no way is he going to be a wr3 wherever he lands. His talent will elevate the QB play at worst he falls to a  wr2

Until he is suspended or abandons his team for a critical game.  No thanks.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

who do you have ranked #25?

I haven't done my top 25 yet.  It is a little early for that.  But I know AB won't be among them.

For reference, my top 3 WRs last season were AJ Green, Diggs, and Amari Cooper.  All consumate pros.  Finished second, probably would have won the league if Green had stayed healthy.  That's the type of guy I target.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I haven't done my top 25 yet.  It is a little early for that.  But I know AB won't be among them.

For reference, my top 3 WRs last season were AJ Green, Diggs, and Amari Cooper.  All consumate pros.  Finished second, probably would have won the league if Green had stayed healthy.  That's the type of guy I target.

Targeting Green as your WR1 is a guarantee to be disappointed every season. He'll bust in the playoffs if he hasn't been put on IR by then. AB easily stays a top-5 WR if he goes to SF.

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Targeting Green as your WR1 is a guarantee to be disappointed every season. He'll bust in the playoffs if he hasn't been put on IR by then. AB easily stays a top-5 WR if he goes to SF.

Who's the starting QB because that passing attack fell apart once JimG went down. . .:lol:

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Who's the starting QB because that passing attack fell apart once JimG went down. . .:lol:

It did? Kittle set all sorts of records. The receiving group fell apart due to injury, not the QB play.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

my top 3 WRs last season were AJ Green, Diggs, and Amari Cooper. Finished second, probably would have won the league *if Green had stayed healthy.

*Or if you had drafted Antonio...

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well neither have gone, yet.

It's as good as done imho, I'd be surprised if anything changes. And even if not it's still just frustrating that this is even a thing at the exact same time for them both 

34 minutes ago, devaster said:

It did? Kittle set all sorts of records. The receiving group fell apart due to injury, not the QB play.

Dude feeding your TE on near 30% market share of passing and on short pass routes of 3yds  means you have a QB dinking the entire game.

Goodwin played 11 games, bourne 16 games and pettis 12 games,James 13 games, so it wasnt injury, it was losing JimG as the QB, relying heavy on the running and short passing game. 

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

*Or if you had drafted Antonio...

Auction league, and Antonio went for big bucks.  Bet he will again next year, but I won't be bidding.

It’s justifiable to ridicule AB for his words and actions, but the idea that he may not find a team willing to trade for him is ridiculous. The truth is that this whole bizarro AB act has been just that, an act, to force his way out of Pittsburgh. That’s not to say he isn’t a diva because he clearly is. But he’s intentionally gone overboard lately for a very obvious reason, and it worked like a charm.

In all likelihood, Rosenhaus already has a deal in place with SF, but it required AB to shoot his way out of town first, which he did quite successfully. Next, SF picks up the phone and trades for AB who subsequently gets fed copious targets on the team of his choice and puts up monster stats, with guaranteed money, and everyone is happy. Well, maybe except for Pittsburgh.

8 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Auction league, and Antonio went for big bucks.  Bet he will again next year, but I won't be bidding.

Where did the AB owner finish?

2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

It’s justifiable to ridicule AB for his words and actions, but the idea that he may not find a team willing to trade for him is ridiculous. The truth is that this whole bizarro AB act has been just that, an act, to force his way out of Pittsburgh. That’s not to say he isn’t a diva because he clearly is. But he’s intentionally gone overboard lately for a very obvious reason, and it worked like a charm.

In all likelihood, Rosenhaus already has a deal in place with SF, but it required AB to shoot his way out of town first, which he did quite successfully. Next, SF picks up the phone and trades for AB who subsequently gets fed copious targets on the team of his choice and puts up monster stats, with guaranteed money, and everyone is happy. Well, maybe except for Pittsburgh.

I think Bell paved the way for AB to make his move. I also think Pitt has reached an exhaustion point and caved on AB because they realize it will be easier to retool the offense without another season of distractions They have an amazing ability to pick wr and rb talent which makes the transition easier to make.

I think we are seeing a precedent being set for star players who want more control over their outcomes and have the financial wherewithal to sit out to get what they want.  Lebron James set the same precedent years ago when he first left the Cleveland Cavaliers

I can't wait to see what OBJ does this season and next.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

Where did the AB owner finish?

Knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.  He also had Scam and Melvin Gordon.

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I think Bell paved the way for AB to make his move. I also think Pitt has reached an exhaustion point and caved on AB because they realize it will be easier to retool the offense without another season of distractions They have an amazing ability to pick wr and rb talent which makes the transition easier to make.

I think we are seeing a precedent being set for star players who want more control over their outcomes and have the financial wherewithal to sit out to get what they want.  Lebron James set the same precedent years ago when he first left the Cleveland Cavaliers

I can't wait to see what OBJ does this season and next.

The Steelers haven't caved to anything.  Brown wants his release so he will get new guaranteed money and will not have to play out the next three years of his current deal.  The Steelers will not be releasing him.  So I think it is a bit early to start lauding Brown for successfully "shooting his way out of town."

4 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

So? Even if it's just a act, so what? He is still acting like an immature lunatic and I wouldn't want anyone with that type of personality in my locker room, "act" or not. Not exactly sure how or why it's a defense in his favor that he isn't actually like this and it's all an act. He is like this, because he's doing it. It's literally that simple.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Steelers haven't caved to anything.  Brown wants his release so he will get new guaranteed money and will not have to play out the next three years of his current deal.  The Steelers will not be releasing him.  So I think it is a bit early to start lauding Brown for successfully "shooting his way out of town."

To believe AB will not end up getting what he wants would require believing Rosenhaus doesn’t know what he’s doing. Personally, I believe Rosenhaus knows exactly what he’s doing, and what the results will be. I’m pretty sure Rosenhaus and AB aren’t sitting in a room somewhere saying, “Uh-oh, now what???”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

So? Even if it's just a act, so what? He is still acting like an immature lunatic and I wouldn't want anyone with that type of personality in my locker room, "act" or not. Not exactly sure how or why it's a defense in his favor that he isn't actually like this and it's all an act. He is like this, because he's doing it. It's literally that simple.

The point is that if it’s just an act to get out of Pittsburgh, then why would SF, for example, expect it to continue once he’s in their locker room, where he wants to be, playing for a contract he believes he deserves? 

SF, for example, might be glad AB acted like a lunatic to get out of Pittsburgh so that they can sign him. That may have been the only way. I’m not saying it’s a good look, but from SF’s point if view it may have been necessary.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

14 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The point is that if it’s just an act to get out of Pittsburgh, then why would SF, for example, expect it to continue once he’s in their locker room, where he wants to be, playing for a contract he believes he deserves? 

SF, for example, might be glad AB acted like a lunatic to get out of Pittsburgh so that they can sign him. That may have been the only way. I’m not saying it’s a good look, but from SF’s point if view it may have been necessary.

Because it's childish. That's why. Who's to say he won't eventually tire of SF and act the same way? Just because he is doing it intentionally doesn't discount how much of an idiot he is. Sounds like you're giving him a pass, because in your opinion, he's "purposely" running himself out of town.

Anyone that has it in their DNA to act like this isn't someone I'd want around my team. Purposefully or not.

Edited by ThreadKiller