Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

25 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The point is that if it’s just an act to get out of Pittsburgh, then why would SF, for example, expect it to continue once he’s in their locker room, where he wants to be, playing for a contract he believes he deserves? 

Well, what happens in 2020, when SF uses a Day 2 pick on a young WR who quickly outperforms expectations and puts up better stats than a 32-year-old Brown?

Suddenly AB might not be where he wants to be, and may not feel he's playing on a contract he deserves.

• Like 1

To add to the "Brown isn't all bad because he's probably doing this all on purpose" take...If I'm SF, I'd rather trade for OBJ.

41 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Because it's childish. That's why. Who's to say he won't eventually tire of SF and act the same way? Just because he is doing it intentionally doesn't discount how much of an idiot he is. Sounds like you're giving him a pass, because in your opinion, he's "purposely" running himself out of town.

Anyone that has it in their DNA to act like this isn't someone I'd want around my team. Purposefully or not.

I’m honestly not sure I understand  your point. You seem to want to just keep repeating that AB is acting childish and you wouldn’t want him on your team. Ok, got it. But you don’t own an NFL team, so your view of the situation has little to do with that of an actual NFL owner trying to win Super Bowls.

As far as putting words in my mouth claiming I’m  “giving him a pass”, what does that even mean? I think he’s acting childish too, but who cares what I think, I don’t own an NFL team either. The only opinion that really matters at this point is that of other NFL teams/owners. 

It’s  easy for us to say on a fantasy football forum that we wouldn’t want someone like that on our real life NFL team because we don’t own NFL teams and have no real dog in the fight. But while actual NFL teams may not approve of how he acted, they will consider why he acted like that, and that it could very much be to their benefit. Without a doubt, some NFL teams would overlook his behavior if it means winning, and potentially winning a Super Bowl. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford

21 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Well, what happens in 2020, when SF uses a Day 2 pick on a young WR who quickly outperforms expectations and puts up better stats than a 32-year-old Brown?

Suddenly AB might not be where he wants to be, and may not feel he's playing on a contract he deserves.

Why bother using random hypotheticals to make your point when an opposing random hypothetical would easily refute it? 

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

To believe AB will not end up getting what he wants would require believing Rosenhaus doesn’t know what he’s doing. Personally, I believe Rosenhaus knows exactly what he’s doing, and what the results will be. I’m pretty sure Rosenhaus and AB aren’t sitting in a room somewhere saying, “Uh-oh, now what???”

Do you honestly believe Rosenhaus advised Brown to quit on his team prior to week 17?  To call out his teammates on social media?  To drive over 100 miles per hour?  To push one of his many baby mamas during an argument over a haircut?  I do not.

12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I’m honestly not sure I understand  your point. You seem to want to just keep repeating that AB is acting childish and you wouldn’t want him on your team. Ok, got it. But you don’t own an NFL team, so your view of the situation has little to do with that of an actual NFL owner trying to win Super Bowls.

As far as putting words in my mouth claiming I’m  “giving him a pass”, what does that even mean? I think he’s acting childish too, but who cares what I think, I don’t own an NFL team either. The only opinion that really matters at this point is that of other NFL teams/owners. 

It’s  easy for us to say on a fantasy football forum that we wouldn’t want someone like that on our real life NFL team because we don’t own NFL teams and have no real dog in the fight. But while actual NFL teams may not approve of how he acted, they will consider why he acted like that, and that it could very much be to their benefit. Without a doubt, some NFL teams would overlook his behavior if it means winning, and potentially winning a Super Bowl. 

KC cut kareem Hunt because he lied, was caught on film assaulting a woman and everyone knew an indefinite suspension was inevitable

So nobody wanted Kareem Hunt and his issues on their team once he cleared waivers . . and now the Browns do.

No one wanted Eric Reid because they thought he was bad for a teams brand. . and now he has a 3yr contract

NFL teams say and do the darndest things. . .:lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Do you honestly believe Rosenhaus advised Brown to quit on his team prior to week 17?  To call out his teammates on social media?  To drive over 100 miles per hour?  To push one of his many baby mamas during an argument over a haircut?  I do not.

I believe Rosenhaus advised Brown to shoot his way out of town, which he did. That said, Rosenhaus doesn’t control AB’s every action.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

You seemed to come to AB defense by saying he's not actually like this and he's likely doing it on purpose. My point is that that doesn't matter and what does matter is that he's doing it. Period.

And yes, thank you for stating the obvious that a team will be interested in him. All it takes is 1. Some teams overlook these personality disorders when a player has elite talent like AB does. Not sure of your point here as no one is disputing that?

Edited by ThreadKiller

23 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

...some NFL teams would overlook his behavior if it means winning, and potentially winning a Super Bowl. 

Valid.  Some teams will put up with almost anything if it is relating to a player they perceive can win them a championship.  One of the best examples of that?  The Pittsburgh Steelers.

As for Brown, I believe some NFL teams will be willing to trade for him.  Add the talent, baggage be d***ed.  But what they probably won't do is give up valuable draft capital.  Pittsburgh is going to want a 1st rounder because Cooper went for a 1st rounder and Pittsburgh probably thinks, maybe correctly, that Brown is a better player.  And it seems extremely unlikely that they will get offered one.  

So I don't believe the Steelers will get a quality trade offer; and I also don't believe they will be releasing Brown, no matter what.

So, under advice from Rosenhaus or not, Brown hasn't "shot his way out of town" just yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

but if it's a rational strategy and it's effective then how can he bean idiot? :lol:

Did you just type "bean idiot?"  In a discussion of what is, and is not, idiotic?

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

but if it's a rational strategy and it's effective then how can he bean idiot? :lol:

Catch-22...

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dashoe said:

KC cut kareem Hunt because he lied, was caught on film assaulting a woman and everyone knew an indefinite suspension was inevitable

So nobody wanted Kareem Hunt and his issues on their team once he cleared waivers . . and now the Browns do.

No one wanted Eric Reid because they thought he was bad for a teams brand. . and now he has a 3yr contract

NFL teams say and do the darndest things. . .:lol:

I'm just glad you didn't use the term domestic violence in your Hunt example :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Not yet, they haven't.  And, in my opinion, this concept of a trade and a huge new contract are pretty much delusional.

i think a trade is happening. The steelers mgmt almost never speak of player contract issues but now you have Rooney who never comments making public statements about talking/working with AB and options on the table. This is not the norm for the Steelers and the way they handle disgruntled players. Rooney never said a word when Sanders and wallace wanted more money and  left. 

Again this is not the norm.

• Like 1

"If your squad out there want to win and your squad want a hungry wide receiver who's the best in the whole world, someone hit my phone," Brown said into his phone camera while working on an elliptical. "Tell them I ain't doing no unguarantees. I ain't even gonna play myself no more for this NFL, you heard."

Brown has no more true guarantees left on his current deal. The five-year, $72.7 million extension he signed in 2017 includes base salaries of $12.625 million, $11.3 million and $12.5 million. Those relatively modest numbers are considered a selling point in a trade. Brown is due a $2.5 million roster bonus on March 17, but the Steelers could avoid payment by trading or releasing him before that date.

NFL contracts can be reworked, so Brown can ask a new team to convert salaried money into guarantees -- a strategy the Steelers used twice with Brown in the past, converting future money into a signing bonus. But teams hold the power since he's under contract. Brown's only true leverage is threatening to hold out.

Someone needs to hit his phone with no ungaurantees. . :lol:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

AB has shown a serious personality disorder. Just because he is doing it intentionally doesn't mean he isn't a childish diva. [...] This conversation is ridiculous. AB is childish no matter how some of you want to slice it.

5 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

A. AB is childish

all greatness is touched by madness - Aristotle

antonio brown is one of the greatest WRs of his generation, and he is super wealthy, so expecting him to act like a normal middle class 9-5 guy seems illogical; more likely he would act self-centered because he is actually a center of attention. a "serious personality disorder" seems short-sighted; antonio brown is a human being, but is role in society practically necessitates eccentricity. just sayin'

BrokenDimwittedArkshell-size_restricted.

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Someone needs to hit his phone with no ungaurantees. . :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpZLIKPyvco4Zy4jQqUs1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

Not interested in debating this anymore. To me, AB has shown a serious personality disorder. Just because he is doing it intentionally doesn't mean he isn't a childish diva. It's fine if you dismiss his personality just because it's intentional.

If someone is too scared to break it off with their spouse so they cheat on them over and over so that their spouse will break up with them, does it mean they aren't a cheater because it was "all intentional" and they aren't an idiot because it was tactfully planned? LOL. Extreme example, sure but it outlines the same concept.

This conversation is ridiculous. AB is childish no matter how some of you want to slice it. Let's move on.

No offense, but that’s actually a poor analogy, which might explain the disconnect between you and others.

A cheating spouse has the option of ending the relationship. A scheme of some sort is unnecessary. If AB could’ve simply ended his contract with Pittsburgh and signed somewhere else I imagine he would have. Unfortunately for everyone involved, the only way of ending his relationship with the Steelers was forcing a trade by acting like a lunatic.

Therefore, while his recent behavior has been unfortunate indeed, some owners will rationalize it by understanding that for whatever reason the relationship between AB and the Steelers reached a breaking point, and desperate measures were required to resolve situation. Whether or not these extreme measures can be overlooked, and whether or not AB can be trusted going forward will be up to each individual owner. I guess that depends on how desperate the owners are to win a Super Bowl. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Now Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has come out and stated that the Steelers won't be "giving him away."  Which is perfectly correct.  If the Steelers do not get an offer they like, and it seems unlikely they will, then they will keep Brown.  Then Brown can play for his current contract, or do what his buddy Le'Veon Bell did last year and sit out the season to prove his point.  I doubt Bell's ploy helped his career in the long run, and I further doubt it will be a wise move on Brown's part to do the same.

All this talk that Brown has successfully forced his way out of Pittsburgh is premature.  And that's being generous.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Now Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has come out and stated that the Steelers won't be "giving him away."  Which is perfectly correct.  If the Steelers do not get an offer they like, and it seems unlikely they will, then they will keep Brown.  Then Brown can play for his current contract, or do what his buddy Le'Veon Bell did last year and sit out the season to prove his point.  I doubt Bell's ploy helped his career in the long run, and I further doubt it will be a wise move on Brown's part to do the same.

All this talk that Brown has successfully forced his way out of Pittsburgh is premature.  And that's being generous.

Given who his agent is, you would have to give a significant probability that there is already the framework of a trade in place that is being fleshed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I don’t understand the bolded part. First, how do you know what kind of offer Pittsburgh considers “beneficial” to the the Steelers? And why do you believe them receiving such an offer is unlikely?

Of course they’re not going to “give him away.” Is this breaking news to some?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I don’t understand the bolded part. First, how do you know what kind of offer Pittsburgh considers “beneficial” to the the Steelers? And why do you believe them receiving such an offer is unlikely?

Breaking news in the sense that the Steelers mgmgt who traditionally don't make comments to the press about player trades and contracts made a public statement.

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Given who his agent is, you would have to give a significant probability that there is already the framework of a trade in place that is being fleshed out.

Agreed. This is just PR/posturing by Pittsburgh. Chances are Rosenhaus already has a mutually beneficial deal in place, and they likely discussed it at the Rooney meeting, which is why Rooney and AB both seemed satisfied post-meeting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

There was no bolded part in your quote.  But I will try my best.  I think a person who wants to understand this situation will have to read between the lines.  I think Colbert is saying "send us a first rounder or don't bother."

And I don't believe the Steelers will get such an offer, because of the way Brown's acting and because of his extravagant contract demands.  Pretty clearly Brown wants to be the highest paid WR in the NFL and he wants his contract to be guaranteed.  What team is going to want to plunge in, given all that?

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There was no bolded part in your quote. 

There is, but the forum redesign screwed up rendering of bold text.  Scroll down to "theme" at the bottom and select the "Default" theme and you'll see that it's in bold.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Agreed. This is just PR/posturing by Pittsburgh. Chances are Rosenhaus already has a mutually beneficial deal in place, and they likely discussed it at the Rooney meeting, which is why Rooney and AB both seemed satisfied post-meeting.

Exactly.

The agent is the one doing the talking and handling negotiations.

You are not sitting down face to face with the owner with your agent to vent and rant, you are in that meeting to discuss realistic outcomes that will benefit all parties to some extent.  A agent at his level is offering legitimate proposals in that meeting not chit chat and moral support.

These people in that room were talking about business and their  time is worth a lot of money