Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The team imploded after a 7-2 start,  it would be silly for anyone to blame the diva wr or bell for that. As usual with Pitt it always comes down to the defense not making plays when needed.

I'd argue that the reason they imploded was lack of leadership and the dynamic they have within that locker room. AB isn't directly responsible for that, of course. But to say he is void of any responsibility for the lack of leadership and a toxic locker room is just incorrect.

23 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

I'd argue that the reason they imploded was lack of leadership and the dynamic they have within that locker room. AB isn't directly responsible for that, of course. But to say he is void of any responsibility for the lack of leadership and a toxic locker room is just incorrect.

I would argue they imploded because players didnt execute and the coaches didnt put them in the best position to win, Locker room drama doesnt address, turnovers, bad defense, missed kicks and being out coached, no bell and injuries.

I'm not buying they lost because of the locker room, that's what fans who drink the team first kool-aid want to believe.

Dude AB has been disruptive since 2012, nothing new and nothing different with regards to him and his behavior.

Leadership starts at the top, with the owner-GM-Coaches-QB->defensive leader. The Steeelers organization collectively from exec suite to locker room has leaked more negative info in the last 3yrs than in the prior 10 combined.

Ben is on record for calling his teammates out in the media, when Bell sat out other teammates threw him under the bus in the media and bell never said a negative word about his teammates or the organization. numerous anonymous sources presumably from mgmt talking to the press. Tomlin even throwng some guys under the bus.

AB has never been a leader on the Steelers, ever. Case in point when juju joined the team Tomlin assigned Bell to be his mentor which tells you how Tomlin viewed AB as a leader.

So all of this AB is toxic and responsible for the locker room issues is in a nutshell nonsense because he was always toxic to some extent but he came to the facility everyday to practice and play. The only difference between now and before is AB is trying to force his way off the team and not making the playoffs for the first time in 6yrs doesnt help either

Look at the top of the organization for the locker room problems

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, devaster said:

And needing the Browns to win over the Ravens was all you needed to know that it was a hopeless situation.

Please re-read the post.

35 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The team imploded after a 7-2 start,  it would be silly for anyone to blame the diva wr or bell for that. As usual with Pitt it always comes down to the defense not making plays when needed.

AB is lucky the Browns & Bengals didn't win those close wk 17 games, because they'd be doing their best to rid themselves of this cancer...wait, nvm.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:21 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Packers or Patriots would both be a QB situation as good or almost as good as Big Ben.  And they both have pretty strong locker rooms.  So they might be able to channel Hurricane AB and make something useful about of the situation.

Patriots won't trade for AB since it's too large a financial commitment. They can sign someone like Golden Tate from FA for a fraction of the cost and make both him and Edelman WR1 level players depending on week and matchup.  Sorta the WR version of Kamara/Ingram.

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Please re-read the post.

Why?

35 minutes ago, jumper said:

Patriots won't trade for AB since it's too large a financial commitment. They can sign someone like Golden Tate from FA for a fraction of the cost and make both him and Edelman WR1 level players depending on week and matchup.  Sorta the WR version of Kamara/Ingram.

crabtree will be cheaper than Tate  . .  .😜

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

I would argue they imploded because players didnt execute and the coaches didnt put them in the best position to win, Locker room drama doesnt address, turnovers, bad defense, missed kicks and being out coached, no bell and injuries.

I'm not buying they lost because of the locker room, that's what fans who drink the team first kool-aid want to believe.

Dude AB has been disruptive since 2012, nothing new and nothing different with regards to him and his behavior.

Leadership starts at the top, with the owner-GM-Coaches-QB->defensive leader. The Steeelers organization collectively from exec suite to locker room has leaked more negative info in the last 3yrs than in the prior 10 combined.

Ben is on record for calling his teammates out in the media, when Bell sat out other teammates threw him under the bus in the media and bell never said a negative word about his teammates or the organization. numerous anonymous sources presumably from mgmt talking to the press. Tomlin even throwng some guys under the bus.

AB has never been a leader on the Steelers, ever. Case in point when juju joined the team Tomlin assigned Bell to be his mentor which tells you how Tomlin viewed AB as a leader.

So all of this AB is toxic and responsible for the locker room issues is in a nutshell nonsense because he was always toxic to some extent but he came to the facility everyday to practice and play. The only difference between now and before is AB is trying to force his way off the team and not making the playoffs for the first time in 6yrs doesnt help either

Look at the top of the organization for the locker room problems

1 Implying that those who think teams can under achieve due to poor locker room dynamics are wrong and are just drining "team first koolaid" doesn't make much sense. You disagree. We get it. No need to insult others for disagreeing with you.

2. Yes, AB has always been a nuisance. I've ALWAYS had this opinion of AB. It is much MUCH more pronounced currently though. Anyhow, your agreeing that he's always been disruptive only helps my point. Since 2012, all the Steelers have done is underachieve. Since you think locker room dynamics and leadership have nothing to do with it. Would you care to shed some light as to why they have underachieved so much in the past 5-7 years?

3. Your claiming that Ben throws teammates under the bus, Tomlin is a problem and that AB has never been a leader also further my point that they lose because of locker room and lack of leadership.

4. AB has never been a leader? NO KIDDING. I wonder why that is...Strange to me that someone who shows up late to meetings, throws temper tantrums and is on social media during team meetings wouldn't be looked at as a leader.

5. AB wasn't chosen to take Juju under his wing because he's an idiot and lacks leadership qualities.

No one and I mean NO ONE in here ever said that AB is soley responsible for the locker room issues in Pittsburgh, so I don't know where you got that?

10 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Since you think locker room dynamics and leadership have nothing to do with it. Would you care to shed some light as to why they have underachieved so much in the past 5-7 years?

Easy, they get out coached and outplayed by other teams when they needed to win? 😂

have you seen the steelers defense in critical games the last couple of years?😶

Also it doesnt help that Hoodie  and the Ravens are in the conference too? 😥

Sorry but you are simply putting too much emphasis on this rah-rah  kumbaya "locker room" perspective.  Bad actors and negative team dynamics are exposed and amplified when teams lose games. 😱

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, psygolf said:

Not true. 

All they needed was a wk 17 win vs the Bengals + a Ravens loss against Cleveland...both games were played in the afternoon, both were close games.

Everyone knew BAL wasn't losing to CLE. You could tell from the PIT postgame after the NO wk 16 loss.

38 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Everyone knew BAL wasn't losing to CLE. You could tell from the PIT postgame after the NO wk 16 loss.

Vegas line was less than a td.

54 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Except they should have - the refs cost Cleveland the game by blowing Jackson's fumble at the goal line dead. 

Edited by P@ckersFan

6 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Except they should have - the refs cost Cleveland the game by blowing Jackson's fumble at the goal line dead. 

Lamar jackson. .  . will be the late round QB winner with Baker

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Easy, they get out coached and outplayed by other teams when they needed to win? 😂

have you seen the steelers defense in critical games the last couple of years?😶

Also it doesnt help that Hoodie  and the Ravens are in the conference too? 😥

Sorry but you are simply putting too much emphasis on this rah-rah  kumbaya "locker room" perspective.  Bad actors and negative team dynamics are exposed and amplified when teams lose games. 😱

At least you ignored the rest of my points since they contradict yours.

Look, we get it. You like AB and don't think he is a disruption in a locker room and that those things matter. You can sit there and mock those who do think they matter to some degree by claiming they are just playing kumbaya and drinking team kool aid all you want but it doesn't make you right.

AB causes disruption in a locker room. This much you have admitted. In case you aren't familiar with the definition of what you agreed to, allow me to share:

dis·rup·tion: disturbance or problems which interrupt an event, activity, or process.

I'll take that to mean he is a disturbance in the locker room that interrupts their process towards winning as many games as possible. When you agree that he's been a disruption, if you don't think he's interrupting the locker room or their ability to win, what is it exactly he is interrupting?

Edited by ThreadKiller

15 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

At least you ignored the rest of my points since they contradict yours.

Look, we get it. You like AB and don't think he is a disruption in a locker room and that those things matter. You can sit there and mock those who do think they matter to some degree by claiming they are just playing kumbaya and drinking team kool aid all you want but it doesn't make you right.

AB causes disruption in a locker room. This much you have admitted. In case you aren't familiar with the definition of what YOU agreed to, allow me to share:

dis·rup·tion: disturbance or problems which interrupt an event, activity, or process.

I'd take that to mean he is a disturbance in the locker room that interrupt their process towards winning as many games as possible. When you agree that he's been a disruption, if you don't think he's interrupting the locker room or their ability to win, what is it exactly he is interrupting?

Naah I only respond to what I think is relevant most of your previous response was filler and nonsensical tangents; so don't assume it's validation. 

I stated AB is a disruptive personality  however the weight you assign that disruption to the locker room mentality and the team winning/losing games is significantly over blown. Disruptive personalites are normal in highly competitive environments. Every team has 58 players and a few malcontents are not going to kill a locker room unless the coaches and owners allow that too happen. Losing games just exacerbates dysfunction and winning masks its.

Leadership starts at the top, not the locker room.

AB was always a manageable disruption. . until he wasn't. 😝

Edited by dashoe
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dashoe said:

AB was always a manageable disruption. . until he wasn't. 

I believe that day was 12/30/18

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Naah I only respond to what I think is relevant most of your previous response was filler and nonsensical tangents; so don't assume it's validation. 

I stated AB is a disruptive personality  however the weight you assign that disruption to the locker room mentality and the team winning/losing games is significantly over blown. Disruptive personalites are normal in highly competitive environments. Every team has 58 players and a few malcontents are not going to kill a locker room unless the coaches and owners allow that too happen. Losing games just exacerbates dysfunction and winning masks its.

Leadership starts at the top, not the locker room.

AB was always a manageable disruption. . until he wasn't. 😝

I get it dude, but you still haven't answered my question. You concede that he's certainly a disruption, but if you don't think he disrupts their locker room and/or their ability to maximize the amount of games they win, what exactly is it he is disrupting?

You keep trying to act like you know everything and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and drinking team kool aid. That's an interesting stance to take on something that can't be proven and is entirely subjective.

Leadership of course starts at the top. That's common sense.

You're saying that he's been manageable up until recently also indicates that he has since gotten worse therefor causing a bigger disruption. So I ask again, what in your opinion is it he is disrupting then?

I bet browns expected contract is more of a deterrent than his antics

28 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I bet browns expected contract is more of a deterrent than his antics

He’ll cost slightly less than $13M/year for three years, with no guarantees  - that’s a steal, even if the acquiring team kicks in some more guaranteed money.

Edited by BMcP

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

He’ll cost slightly less than $13M/year for three years, with no guarantees  - that’s a steal, even if the acquiring team kicks in some more guaranteed money.

Can't he hold out for a new deal? I figured he'd want one last big payday

4 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Yes, but any team trading for him is doing so knowing that risk. Any team trading for him will likely extend him or convert some of the remaining contract to guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Oh sir!  There is no way Brown is even going to show up for one practice or one game on his current deal.  He wants his new team to tear that contract up, give him a brand new deal as the highest paid WR in the league, multi-year.  And, of course, it all has to be guaranteed.  Brown has already said as much in the only world that really exists for him, his own twitter page.

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

crabtree will be cheaper than Tate  . .  .😜

Tate is better than Crabtree but point taken. Either represents far better value for dollar when you look holistically at alllocating limited salary cap money to make your entire roster better instead of spending an outsize amount in AB. Doesn’t seem like the Patriot way to blow their wad on a single player. 

21 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Of course all of this nonsense Brown is engaging in is, ultimately, because Brown is unhappy with his current contract.  Whether he gets one remains to be seen.  In my view, it is far from a foregone conclusion.

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Oh sir!  There is no way Brown is even going to show up for one practice or one game on his current deal.  He wants his new team to tear that contract up, give him a brand new deal as the highest paid WR in the league, multi-year.  And, of course, it all has to be guaranteed.  Brown has already said as much in the only world that really exists for him, his own twitter page.

It’s one thing to want that (and gibber about it on social media) and another thing to deal with the reality that he’s not receiving a fully guaranteed contract from any team.  I imagine his new team will work out some sort of acceptable and realistic compromise.  In any event, the AAV of the new contract is not going to cripple the team’s salary cap situation.