Corleone

Antonio Brown 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

Recent developments in AB's employment status, along with the continued inability of some users to keep their comments within the site guidelines, have forced us to lock this thread yet again.  If circumstances warrant, we will reopen.

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

How many fully guaranteed contracts are out there? Just cousins?

Yes.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

How many fully guaranteed contracts are out there? Just cousins?

Yup. And it was only 3 or 4 seasons if I recall. Nothing like the Baseball or NBA fully guaranteed contracts.

• Like 1

Yes, it’s three - which gives him the added benefit of another bite at the apple 

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes, it’s three - which gives him the added benefit of another bite at the apple 

And the potential to never see another deal and only cash in on 3 years guaranteed. There is a reason the fully guaranteed lengthy contracts in the NBA and MLB are desirable to NFL athletes that play such a violent sport.

• Like 1

I’d say that’s one reason Kirk was wise to turn down offers with higher AAVs for the one he took.

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

And the potential to never see another deal and only cash in on 3 years guaranteed. There is a reason the fully guaranteed lengthy contracts in the NBA and MLB are desirable to NFL athletes that play such a violent sport.

If hes still good he'll get signed again. Plus, if someone can't live off 84 million dollars, hes a POS

14 hours ago, jumper said:

Tate is better than Crabtree but point taken. Either represents far better value for dollar when you look holistically at alllocating limited salary cap money to make your entire roster better instead of spending an outsize amount in AB. Doesn’t seem like the Patriot way to blow their wad on a single player. 

Now is not a good time to be discussing how the Patriots blow their wad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Giants seem to be shopping OBJ and Emmanuel Sanders might be on the block as well.  That's before considering FA has some solid if not superstar level guys like Golden Tate, Dez, Cobb, Demaryius Thomas, etc.  If the Steelers want to trade AB they should do it quick because he's a depreciating asset and will be increasingly so once a few of the guys above get signed. 

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Giants are "not averse" to an Odell Beckham trade.

Additionally, La Canfora reports coach Pat Shurmur is "at wits end on how to manage" Beckham. OBJ is a mega talent but, like a lot of receivers, has some diva to him and can be a chore to handle, especially when things are going sour like they were for the hapless Giants in 2018. OBJ called out the play-calling at times and continued his sideline mini-meltdowns. GM Dave Gettleman reiterated Wednesday at the Combine that "we didn't sign him to trade him" in regards to OBJ, but there has been a whole lot of smoke on this front in recent weeks. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. La Canfora says the 49ers and Raiders would be the "most likely strong suitors."

Feb 27, 2019, 7:31 PM

Sort of related, when is the last time one of these high paid diva WRs won anything? Irving like 25 years ago?

Waste of money IMO.

9 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Sort of related, when is the last time one of these high paid diva WRs won anything? Irving like 25 years ago?

Waste of money IMO.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.  Like a SB?  

9 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.  Like a SB?  

Yes. I don't think you win with these guys.

NFL Network covered the aspect of All-Pro WRs not being on a SB winning team's roster.

I just did some quick research of the last 7 SB winners and their rosters:

2019 NE - no All-Pro WR

2018 PHI - no All-Pro WR

2017 NE - no All-Pro WR

2016 DEN - no All-Pro WR

2015 NE - no All-Pro WR

2014 SEA - no All-Pro WR

2013 BAL - no All-Pro WR

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FollowTheLeader said:

NFL Network covered the aspect of All-Pro WRs not being on a SB winning team's roster.

2019 NE - no All-Pro WR

2018 PHI - no All-Pro WR

2017 NE - no All-Pro WR

2016 DEN - no All-Pro WR

2015 NE - no All-Pro WR

2014 SEA - no All-Pro WR

2013 BAL - no All-Pro WR

Thank you sir. More convincing than me just saying so.

Nearly 30% of SB winners have had an All-Pro wideout.

38 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Nearly 30% of SB winners have had an All-Pro wideout.

That percentage doesn't seem to represent recent history (~16yrs). I had to research back to 2007 to find the most recent All-Pro WR on a Super Bowl Champion roster (RW was only 2nd team), and he was the only SB winning All-Pro WR over the last 16yrs.

2012 NYG - no All-Pro Wr

2011 GB - no All-Pro WR

2010 NO - no All-Pro WR

2009 PIT - no All-Pro WR

2008 NYG - no All-Pro WR

2007 IND - All-Pro WR Reggie Wayne (2nd Team)

2006 PIT - no All-Pro WR

2005 NE - no All-Pro WR

2004 NE - no All-Pro WR

2003 TB - no All-Pro WR

Thank you for doing all of this fine research.  I have a feeling that wideouts will become more of a factor on winning teams as the league continues to trend to the pass.

Football is the pinnacle team sport. I think it does any position a disservice when the argument about SB's being won without an All-Pro or Pro-Bowler at that position. Teams that win the SB are largely healthy at the end of the season and also have a good mix of pro bowlers and All-Pro's.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

...just reporting the facts related to a claim made earlier in this thread :shrug:

use the emoji's dude. . .🤷‍♂️

55 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

That percentage doesn't seem to represent recent history (~16yrs). I had to research back to 2007 to find the most recent All-Pro WR on a Super Bowl Champion roster (RW was only 2nd team), and he was the only SB winning All-Pro WR over the last 16yrs.

2012 NYG - no All-Pro Wr

2011 GB - no All-Pro WR

2010 NO - no All-Pro WR

2009 PIT - no All-Pro WR

2008 NYG - no All-Pro WR

2007 IND - All-Pro WR Reggie Wayne (2nd Team)

2006 PIT - no All-Pro WR

2005 NE - no All-Pro WR

2004 NE - no All-Pro WR

2003 TB - no All-Pro WR

The years you have listed are confusing though. They might be the correct year with which the Superbowl was actually played, but they are not the correct years when discussing who was Champion that year. The Colts were not 2007 NFL Champions, the Giants were. The Bucs were not 2003 champions, the Patriots were, etc.

Edited by ThreadKiller

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

2019 NE - no All-Pro WR

2018 PHI - no All-Pro WR

2017 NE - no All-Pro WR

2016 DEN - no All-Pro WR

2015 NE - no All-Pro WR

2014 SEA - no All-Pro WR

2013 BAL - no All-Pro WR

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Thank you sir. More convincing than me just saying so.

So are we going with All-Pro or highly paid diva?  Because I really don't see much relevance in either case.  A talented player is going to make you a better team - period.  If you really want to go down the All-Pro rabbit hole - none of the SB winners listed had All-Pro RBs either.  Baltimore, Seattle, and Denver all had stellar defenses the years they won.  Seattle won in 2013/14, and while Baldwin wasn't an All-Pro that season, he was an All-Pro in 2015.  There were two cases where the losing SB team had an All-Pro receiver (DT in 2013/14 and Julio in 2016/17).  I'm not really sure how you drew in his All-Pro post to your diva post - because the two aren't correlated.  Can a diva receiver be a distraction?  Sure.  But to say that a team would have trouble winning a SB because of that singular thing is wrong.  

44 minutes ago, devaster said:

Football is the pinnacle team sport. I think it does any position a disservice when the argument about SB's being won without an All-Pro or Pro-Bowler at that position. Teams that win the SB are largely healthy at the end of the season and also have a good mix of pro bowlers and All-Pro's.

Exactly.  For the most part, football and baseball teams are largely talented in multiple areas.  Basketball is much easier to throw in one or two superstars and have immediate success.

11 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

The years you have listed are confusing though. They might be the correct year with which the Superbowl was actually played, but they are not the correct years when discussing who was Champion that year. The Colts were not 2007 NFL Champions, the Giants were. The Bucs were not 2003 champions, the Patriots were, etc.

DOH! I see it now.