parrothead

Reynaldo Lopez 2019 Outlook

I know he’s done this several times before this year with 2 or 3 game stretches of success, but I’m buying in (again).

Since July 4 he has 21 IP, 13 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 25 K (@OAK, @TB, vs. MIA)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

I know he’s done this several times before this year with 2 or 3 game stretches of success, but I’m buying in (again).

Since July 4 he has 21 IP, 13 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 25 K (@OAK, @TB, vs. MIA)

He's never looked this good before though. The velocity is up. The stuff is absolutely nasty. Watching the game today, him and gallen put on a show.

I know we get carried away when a player has a hot streak but Reynaldo looks like Giolito 2.0 

The white sox have something interesting brewing.

• Like 1

It's back to "Real Deal" Reynaldo! Chart is NSFW guys:

FA- in a word -sick- it sat 97 MPH and hit 100, great vertical action on it, threw 54--41 strikes with 29 swings and 10 whiffs!!!

SL- just dirty tonight, double action and plus spin, sat 85 MPH and threw 28--23 strikes with 21 hacks and 10 whiffs!!

Mixed in 7 really solid looking Curves, love it at 76 MPH, just messes with a batter, threw 6 of the 7 for strikes with 2 cuts and a whiff

Also threw 4 cutters and 4 changes as well, both mid 80s and both for mostly strikes (6 outta 8)...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's back to "Real Deal" Reynaldo! Chart is NSFW guys:

FA- in a word -sick- it sat 97 MPH and hit 100, great vertical action on it, threw 54--41 strikes with 29 swings and 10 whiffs!!!

SL- just dirty tonight, double action and plus spin, sat 85 MPH and threw 28--23 strikes with 21 hacks and 10 whiffs!!

Mixed in 7 really solid looking Curves, love it at 76 MPH, just messes with a batter, threw 6 of the 7 for strikes with 2 cuts and a whiff

Also threw 4 cutters and 4 changes as well, both mid 80s and both for mostly strikes (6 outta 8)...

Wow, hitting 100 is interesting. The HR isn’t great because that’s his problem, but good to see the BBs were low.

It has to be something mechanical that has allowed him to improve his velocity, control, and command, right?

Just now, UberRebel said:

Wow, hitting 100 is interesting. The HR isn’t great because that’s his problem, but good to see the BBs were low.

It has to be something mechanical that has allowed him to improve his velocity, control, and command, right?

I think his sequencing was one thing but he must have found a kink in his delivery that he fixed. He was very vocal about him being a better pitcher in the 2nd half, so whatever it is, he’s a believer too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hey didn't he finish last year with a stretch of great starts? Thats why we were so excited about him this year. So he has shown prolonged success before and I think he maybe in for another run today. Also, this entire year his velocity has never looked this good consistently from start to start and no coincidence he has pitched this well.

IMO Top 50 SP right now and potentially Top 25 ceiling

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

He was brilliant tonight in the scrimmage against a AAA team. Marlins have some exciting young pitchers, but their lineup is a joke. 

Edited by kwolf68

I know it's the Marlins but this isn't just one start. If he has that live of a fastball with THAT kind of command of the secondary. Ceiling top 25? No ceiling top 10 or 15. INB4 He could be a Luis Castillo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, dkrocka said:

I know it's the Marlins but this isn't just one start. If he has that live of a fastball with THAT kind of command of the secondary. Ceiling top 25? No ceiling top 10 or 15. INB4 He could be a Luis Castillo.

I get the Castillo vibe from him. could take a couple seasons. 2021 should be the Sox time to make the playoffs (I hope), so that lines up well

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Turning over every rock, this guy has my attention.  Thank you to the few above posters.  Feels like a wait and see guy, for a bit, before the articles and blurbs start coming out.  I read this: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/so-far-reynaldo-lopez-delivering-promise-be-different-pitcher-second-half.  And although exciting, it’s kind of concerning that his big change is “now im trying.”   These types often fall back on their old habits.  I’m definitely interested though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Turning over every rock, this guy has my attention.  Thank you to the few above posters.  Feels like a wait and see guy, for a bit, before the articles and blurbs start coming out.  I read this: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/so-far-reynaldo-lopez-delivering-promise-be-different-pitcher-second-half.  And although exciting, it’s kind of concerning that his big change is “now im trying.”   These types often fall back on their old habits.  I’m definitely interested though.

What I took away from that was more that he was struggling on the mental side of things, had lost his confidence, and seeing guys like Moncada and Giolito make huge strides -- as well as getting a large helping of that lovely clubhouse intangible they call veteran leadership -- dug him out of that hole and allowed him to go out there without a feeling of imposter syndrome and impending disaster every time he took the bump. So now in his noggin he's more Steve Nebraska than Tommy Lacy.

Obviously three innings is three innings, but remarkable that a guy that couldn't hit the ocean with a 93 mph fastball a month ago is now hitting his spots with near 100 mph heat + 2 off speed offerings.

Another article about his recent changes https://therunnersports.com/four-reasons-why-reynaldo-lopez-is-finding-success/

Main takeaway is the consistent release point, something that allowed Giolito and Glasnow to turn into different pitchers this season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

Obviously three innings is three innings, but remarkable that a guy that couldn't hit the ocean with a 93 mph fastball a month ago is now hitting his spots with near 100 mph heat + 2 off speed offerings.

Another article about his recent changes https://therunnersports.com/four-reasons-why-reynaldo-lopez-is-finding-success/

Main takeaway is the consistent release point, something that allowed Giolito and Glasnow to turn into different pitchers this season.

I keep getting more and more excited about this guy. This feels like a genuine breakout for potential ace.

• Like 1

So last nights outing wasn’t at the level of his previous 3. He walked 6 and gave up 6 hits in 5.1 innings allowing 2 earned. Are people still as confident as they were before this start that he has turned a corner? Also, he’s got the Phillies, A’s and Astros as his likely next 3 opponents so tough times could be ahead. 

3 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

So last nights outing wasn’t at the level of his previous 3. He walked 6 and gave up 6 hits in 5.1 innings allowing 2 earned. Are people still as confident as they were before this start that he has turned a corner? Also, he’s got the Phillies, A’s and Astros as his likely next 3 opponents so tough times could be ahead. 

I'm certainly not confident. It's Reynaldo Lopez. But I do want to wait another start or two before giving up on him. Obviously, you want to see if the velocity goes back to 97, rather than the 95 he showed last night. Maybe there are mistakes he can learn from. He looked fantastic against the Marlins, went 7 scoreless innings before giving up 2 in the 8th, but left with a hard luck loss after the White Sox gave him no run support against Zac Gallen.

At the beginning of the second half, he seemed motivated to help the team finish strong. With the White Sox losing 6 of their last 7, I hope this small breakout isn't merely due to motivation or willpower to help the team win.

19 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

4 walks, not 6. Still too many.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

4 walks, not 6. Still too many.

My bad. He also hit a guy too. Point is his control was not what we’ve seen recently. 

4 hours ago, collucho said:

We rolling him out [YES] with confidence tonight [ehhh, not much] ?

Just not sure if we get 2 hits and 8 Ks or 8 runs and 2 Ks.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rando said:

This made me uneasy. 

Hopefully it made you uneasy enough to bench the schlub.

20 hours ago, rando said:

lol right on.  but this can probably be said for about 90% of the starting pitchers this year (including guys who were supposed to be studs like Sale, Bauer, Snell, etc.)

6 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

lol right on.  but this can probably be said for about 90% of the starting pitchers this year (including guys who were supposed to be studs like Sale, Bauer, Snell, etc.)

Sadly that isn't enough of an exaggeration to call it out as such. Thing is, it's less painful when your studs go hot and cold like that. By that I mean you don't stop playing them or signing them or trading for them. With guys like Reynaldo, it burns, you want to avoid dipping toes into the marginal FA SP waters because of the danger. I have struggled with that in the past. One of my biggest accomplishments in evolving as a roto GM this year was taking a flier on Giolito, who burned the hell out of me the prior two years. He became post-hype sleeper hit early this year, and by signing him I got a boatload of help... in prior years I would have felt too burned to go back to the well.

I'm following my own advice next year and not being shy about hiring Lopez if he goes undrafted and starts strong. It's all there, he just needs to activate the skill sets. Good luck to you!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:38 PM, dkrocka said:

LOL

...as his ERA sits well over 5 and his WHIP is literally in the bottom 5 of all qualified SP in MLB. What in the world ever made you think this guy has top 10 or 15 potential? Hes terrible

4 hours ago, cs3 said:

LOL

...as his ERA sits well over 5 and his WHIP is literally in the bottom 5 of all qualified SP in MLB. What in the world ever made you think this guy has top 10 or 15 potential? Hes terrible

This is what you could have said about Lucas Giolito last year. His stats are horrible but has that kind of potential. His fastball when commanded properly is dominant. His secondary stuff can be electric.

He’s young and your be wise not to give up on him for next year.

• Like 1