Flyman75

Devonta Freeman 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

What's the issue with Freeman? Have injuries taken a toll on him and he already declining? Is it the scheme/playcalling? Seems last time they had a good ground game was with Shanahan. Or does their OL simply suck at run blocking?

Thank God Schweitzer won't replace their injured rookie G Lindstrom. Schweitzer just filled in late in the game for Lindstrom, but the starting guards will be Jamon Brown and James Carpenter. Better than Schweitzer at least.

I'm asking because I'm trying to buy low in some leagues. Literally very low. Is Ito Smith really better? He didn't impress me last season. He entered the game when the Falcons were down big already and the Vikings surely focused on stopping big passing plays rather than the run.

21 minutes ago, frog34 said:

What's the issue with Freeman? Have injuries taken a toll on him and he already declining? Is it the scheme/playcalling? Seems last time they had a good ground game was with Shanahan. Or does their OL simply suck at run blocking?

Thank God Schweitzer won't replace their injured rookie G Lindstrom. Schweitzer just filled in late in the game for Lindstrom, but the starting guards will be Jamon Brown and James Carpenter. Better than Schweitzer at least.

I'm asking because I'm trying to buy low in some leagues. Literally very low. Is Ito Smith really better? He didn't impress me last season. He entered the game when the Falcons were down big already and the Vikings surely focused on stopping big passing plays rather than the run.

As a freeman owner who has been trying to trade him, I’m definitely not selling him for cheap based on one week. f--- that. I would rather keep him.

13 minutes ago, frog34 said:

The loss of Lindstrom hurts more than people were expecting it to. The Vikes' front seven is scary, and they were able to rush Matt Ryan with ease on Sunday and stop the run. Freeman was a victim of circumstance in Week 1, but he didn't appear to be hampered by his previous injuries.

I do believe that he is a solid buy-low and that better days are on the horizon for Devonta and the Falcons. However, this week against the Eagles might not be one of them, considering the core of their defense is in the front 7.    

I think the talent is still there. He just hasn't really gotten the chance to get rolling yet. And as previous posters have pointed out, his schedule is pretty brutal to start off.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:01 PM, rex_bulkhead said:

I drafted him with a valuable pick so I can set and forget until he gets hurt and then belatedly scramble for Ito. When healthy Freeman has always been a stud and that was with Coleman eating away valuable touches. Freeman is ready right now and this offense is going to roll. 

Well that was about as bad a start to the season as we can get without Freeman being injured. Dud Wk1 score with a fumble and low usage. Quinn's explanation was not encouraging. One of the big reasons I drafted Freeman was I thought he would be a 3-down back even if occasionally spelled by Ito. It never occurred to me that Freeman would be game scripted out in a game Atlanta was down 28-0 in the 4th. All I worried about was Freeman staying healthy.

The offense as a whole was terrible which gives some hope because it may mean last week was an aberration for Freeman along with the rest of the offense. The #1 reason I target Freeman was expecting the Atlanta offense to be elite and explosive. I took him over Jacobs and damn I regret it hard.

• Like 2

I'm not convinced this will be a bounce back. I expect him to be an RB2 but if you're relying on him being more than that I think he'll let you down this week 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

I'm not convinced this will be a bounce back. I expect him to be an RB2 but if you're relying on him being more than that I think he'll let you down this week 

Mid RB2 is all every freeman owner is asking for

• Like 2

Yeah, I was just hoping he would be that RB2 would upside this year....hoping for a bounceback against the Eagles but keeping expectations low.  Probably will keep him on the bench for this week.

Minny's defense for the most part made everyone struggle on the Falcons.

Freeman didnt look great but he is a veteran so I think they wanted to reduce the hits so early in the season when they really never had control of the game.

I hope Freeman bounces back to at least RB2 level.

This guy is making me nervous...i could have traded him for something decent during the off season in my Dynasty..

Now i couldn't get half of that...just sucks. 

Falcons should be able to move the ball with ease through the air at home against the Eagles poor pass defense, so if nothing else hoping Freeman ends up with some touches in the RZ that could result in a TD or two.

Welp. 11 rushes for 22 yards and 3 receptions. Not exactly inspiring stuff from people hoping for a bounce back from last week.

So, what's up with him? Doesn't look like gamescript yet he still wasn't used much as compared to his Shanny days.

Is it coaching? Or is he just washed?

He's definitely washed by dudes. Sucks, the dude was electric when he broke out and for a couple years after that but the violent running and injuries have caught up.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, RomesBurnin said:

Do you guys feel confident starting him this week? The Eagles D is another tough matchup for him. I am debating benching him and I hate it. His upside is ridiculous with Coleman gone. This offense just needs to get rollin.

splitting too much time with Smith, he's now completely TD dependant. I'm gonna wait till he has a good game and try to sell. 

1 minute ago, Espoiral said:

Welp. 11 rushes for 22 yards and 3 receptions. Not exactly inspiring stuff from people hoping for a bounce back from last week.

So, what's up with him? Doesn't look like gamescript yet he still wasn't used much as compared to his Shanny days.

Is it coaching? Or is he just washed?

IMO he just doesn't look right. He isn't hitting the hole and that quickness isn't there. Then you watch Ito Smith, drastic difference. After his off season, Not sure if he needs a little time to get acclimated or what 🤷‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

Better than last week, at least he caught some passes and didn't put out a complete dud. But yeah this sucks. Took him over Jacobs, Henry, Ingram, Montgomery...

On 9/13/2019 at 9:39 AM, ponchsox said:

Ekeler has to play over Freeman, right?

I'd be starting Ekeler over anyone not named Barkley or Elliot.

3 hours ago, kdko said:

He's booty without Shanahan and Coleman.

If Alfred Morris played every year under Shanahan he would be hall of fame bound check 2012 and 2013 if you have a spare minute. Take out 2015 and 2016 and is Freeman all that good???

These two weeks have been rough matchups but it really doesn't look like there's much gas left in the tank for Freeman. I'd give him one more week before benching him.

Entirely dependent on your team make up but Freeman was picked in a range where if you hit on a guy you really can get an edge over your league but if you strike out, as whats looking to be the case here, you lag behind.  He's practically droppable but for the technicality of what you spent to get him and his role on what should be a productive offense.

• Like 1