Flyman75

Devonta Freeman 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

Go find and show me the game film where Foles was erratic. I've watched plenty... not just highlights... and I don't see that at all. What I see are consistent strikes. 

My point about the injuries is that he hasn't suffered major injuries like an ACL tear. While he did end up spending a couple extra weeks in the hot tub, there's no reason to think he's some kind of major injury risk. There's plenty of reason to think Freeman is.

As for Ito being the only guy behind Freeman, who tf do you think is behind Fournette?

You made a point that freeman wouldnt get the touches necessary to put produce fournette so the counter was...who else in ATL is getting the work?

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

You made a point that freeman wouldnt get the touches necessary to put produce fournette so the counter was...who else in ATL is getting the work?

I'm looking at total touches for in their respective offenses. In Atlanta, they're primarily throwing passes downfield. There are only so many carries any RB would have in that system. 

14 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

Go find and show me the game film where Foles was erratic. I've watched plenty... not just highlights... and I don't see that at all. What I see are consistent strikes. 

My point about the injuries is that he hasn't suffered major injuries like an ACL tear. While he did end up spending a couple extra weeks in the hot tub, there's no reason to think he's some kind of major injury risk. There's plenty of reason to think Freeman is.

No there isn't. ACLs aren't the death knell they used to be. It's impossible to say for sure, but odds are he will be OK. 

14 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

As for Ito being the only guy behind Freeman, who tf do you think is behind Fournette?

Nobody. And nobody is saying he will lose touches to anyone either.

8 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

I'm looking at total touches for in their respective offenses. In Atlanta, they're primarily throwing passes downfield. There are only so many carries any RB would have in that system. 

Yeah, but before he was sharing a LOT of them with Coleman. That is basically gone.

Just now, bomont said:

Yeah, but before he was sharing a LOT of them with Coleman. That is basically gone.

He's not the biggest RB and they know this. Sure Coleman will be the guy, but they're going to try and keep him fresh by using the passing game. Freeman is only getting so many reps where Fournette might be among the league leaders in carries.

26 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

Less carries, maybe. But more receptions for freeman and a better shot at TDs with the better offense.

• Like 1

whoever ends up as the backup to freeman is  guy i want on my team. i'm going to pay attention to this training camp.  

16 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Less carries, maybe. But more receptions for freeman and a better shot at TDs with the better offense.

Possibly more receptions, although Fournette will get his fair share. Fournette tends to be underrated as a pass catcher as he's more known for his rushing, but I have them both down for about 45 receptions. I don't see a drastic difference there.

1 hour ago, Jags02 said:

Last year there were 351 carries; but the 3 years before with the same coach, that was between 420-450.

It's not impossible that they go back to 400+ carries, and in any case, 351 should still be sufficient for most RBs.

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Last year there were 351 carries; but the 3 years before with the same coach, that was between 420-450.

It's not impossible that they go back to 400+ carries, and in any case, 351 should still be sufficient for most RBs.

I guarantee you Devonta is not getting 350 carries.

5 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

I guarantee you Devonta is not getting 350 carries.

I think that’s combined carries so freeman would get something like 250? I doubt fournette would even get 350

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

I think that’s combined carries so freeman would get something like 250? I doubt fournette would even get 350

I don't think they'll be passing as much as they did last year.   Their defense (which was supposed to be pretty good) was decimated in the first couple of games resulting in them playing from behind quite a bit.

They've bolstered their OL and their defense should be much better.   I think they will be a more balanced offense this year.  Still pass first but just not to the degree of last season.

So I believe there should be around 420-430 rushing attempts.   Last season they were 3rd lowest at 351.

• Like 1

First off, realistically nobody is getting 350 carries.  Elliot led the league last year with about 300 I think and Barkley was a distant second.  Freeman won't be leading the league in carries, but he doesn't have to be. My point is without Coleman vulturing so much he should get a lot more, probably top 10 area barring the I word, and is a good receiver as well.  As for the ATL passing game, again that's in his favor not against it as teams won't stack against him and their offense will be a lot - a LOT - better than the Jags, so there will be way more sustained drives, so more yards and TD opportunities for him. 

But hey, whoever wants to draft Fournette over him, knock yourself out. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Maybe not, but it's certainly more of a possibility with him than it is with Freeman especially if we're counting total touches. 

I do like Freeman, but I'm convinced they're going to take it somewhat easy with him. They don't want to lose the little guy to IR again.

2 hours ago, Jags02 said:

Maybe not, but it's certainly more of a possibility with him than it is with Freeman especially if we're counting total touches. 

I do like Freeman, but I'm convinced they're going to take it somewhat easy with him. They don't want to lose the little guy to IR again.

How many times are you going to refer to his size? You’re on the RW forums. Few here are unaware of his size. And frankly, 206 isn’t all as tiny as you’re making it out to be, not when he’s 5’8”. 

12 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

How many times are you going to refer to his size? You’re on the RW forums. Few here are unaware of his size. And frankly, 206 isn’t all as tiny as you’re making it out to be, not when he’s 5’8”. 

agreed, that freeman is far from petite at 206.

yet as carry-on luggage, his compactness makes him the ideal complement when traveling with 6'4" 311 pound alex mack...

good luck stopping 517 pounds of end-zone-hungry falcons.

love the atlanta o-line this year.

return_of_the_mack.0.gif

• Like 2

The only thing I need to know is; is he 100% healthy going into this season? If he is, and if he's available at somewhat of a discount on draft day, then I'm all in on him. Really like his situation and think he could have a HUGE season in that offense if he can stay healthy. 

• Like 1

Freeman has a great build for a RB. 

He's bigger and stronger than Barry Sanders and Sanders did just fine. 

Falcons abandoned the run last year cause Coleman + ito weren't good enough to sustain it and they were behind 2+ scores every half time. Better defense and Freeman back should change this. 

With Freeman back I don't really see a decrease in any numbers, only increases. Passing should remain relatively similar with a small drop. This is still a pass happy team with a great passing attack. And if the running game is effective again that will just mean more offensive plays and thus more RB usage IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He's bigger and stronger than Barry Sanders and Sanders did just fine. 

Yeah, but Sanders played in black and white. Different era, different game.

In any case, these comparisons are fairly useless. Devonta Freeman did fine so far with his size and weight, except for the injuries. I don't think however he'll be a lot more effective than 2 years ago, even when healthy.

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah, but Sanders played in black and white. Different era, different game.

In any case, these comparisons are fairly useless. Devonta Freeman did fine so far with his size and weight, except for the injuries. I don't think however he'll be a lot more effective than 2 years ago, even when healthy.

Not sure why it's not comparable when talking about size and being an effective RB. 

Barry is (IMO) the GOAT. 

He's smaller than Freeman. 

He touched the ball 350-400x a season when players were allowed to kill other players. 

It's very comparable for me. 

I think it's dumb when people say that smaller guys can't be as good as big ones when smaller guys are the guys that fill up a lot of the top 10 RB list. 

FYI - big guys tear ACLs too. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Not sure why it's not comparable when talking about size and being an effective RB. 

well, because, first of all, that was 25 years ago when I was still young and beautiful, but also:

Barry is (IMO) the GOAT. 

Freeman is not.

He touched the ball 350-400x a season when players were allowed to kill other players. 

Freeman does not, and he would probably get killed.

It's very comparable for me. 

giphy.webp

OK, we'll let that slide.

I think it's dumb when people say that smaller guys can't be as good as big ones when smaller guys are the guys that fill up a lot of the top 10 RB list. 

FYI - big guys tear ACLs too. 

Absolutely. but the funny thing is, I said:

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

In any case, these comparisons are fairly useless. Devonta Freeman did fine so far with his size and weight, except for the injuries.

Don't compare Freeman to another player with different skills in a different era. Compare Freeman to Freeman.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

well, because, first of all, that was 25 years ago when I was still young and beautiful, but also:

Freeman is not.

Freeman does not, and he would probably get killed.

giphy.webp

OK, we'll let that slide.

Absolutely. but the funny thing is, I said:

Don't compare Freeman to another player with different skills in a different era. Compare Freeman to Freeman.

When someone says Freeman is too small to get 250+ touches a season I'm gonna compare to Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk every single time. 

This is about someone saying a player is not big enough to be effective in the NFL. I can give more examples of top 10-20 players that prove that false as well. 

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When someone says Freeman is too small to get 250+ touches a season

Here's the funny thing. I don't think anyone even said that.

Take it easy my friend. It's all good :)

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When someone says Freeman is too small to get 250+ touches a season I'm gonna compare to Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk every single time. 

This is about someone saying a player is not big enough to be effective in the NFL. I can give more examples of top 10-20 players that prove that false as well. 

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Here's the funny thing. I don't think anyone even said that.

Take it easy my friend. It's all good :)

On 6/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, bhawks489 said:

On 6/10/2019 at 7:19 PM, Jags02 said:

4 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Dude, please take a coffee and a deep breath. One guy said they might not give him 250 based on the "available" carries, the other guy affectionately said "little guy". Seriously.

Shall we go back to our regular scheduled program and actually discuss the actual life and times of Devonta Freeman?