Flyman75

Devonta Freeman 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

16 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Geeze man. I quoted it in order.

Guy underneath you said fournette has much better chance getting 350 touches than Freeman 250. Said something about little guy going to IR implying he couldn't hang with rigors of NFL RB. 

Same guy was saying little guys can't play big downs earlier. 

I'm not getting sucked into this again though. Read the whole thing next time. 

I still don’t think you know what you’re saying but OK

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Devonta Freeman has looked like "himself" this offseason.

Freeman barely saw the field while battling a groin injury last year but hasn't shown any ill effects this offseason, impressing throughout OTAs. Quinn was complementary of Freeman's resilience throughout his rehab, making note of his "mental toughness." "He was another one who had so much to prove and to get back out on the field and to recapture his energy and style so quickly," said the Falcons coach. "I was very happy to see that." Freeman faces durability concerns coming off his injury-spoiled 2018, but he should be an asset in the fantasy realm if healthy.

Jun 21, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

Ugh.  I really had it made up in my mind that I was going to avoid this guy.  But now I'm once again thinking he might be good value in the top of the 3rd as your second RB.  Obviously we'd all draft him if we thought he'd hold up to 16 games.

Godfather The Godfather GIF - Godfather TheGodfather TheGodfatherPartIII GIFs

I'm not saying anyone should avoid him or target him, y'all are adults and can figure this out, but, as far as "looking like his old self", its June and he hasn't taken a hit in months- not exactly a revelation here.   I'm pretty sure every oft-injured player "looks like his old self" in some kind of summer beat writer space filling article.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He doesn't have to play all 16 games to be a value in the 3rd rd.

Exactly.  And I probably wouldn't expect him to.  But if you get 13 games out of him, he can still be a low-end RB1.

I think if I start WR/WR/WR or WR/WR/TE he will be one of my targets.  Otherwise I’ll probably stay away from this guy. Just so much risk involved. 

4 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm not saying anyone should avoid him or target him, y'all are adults and can figure this out, but, as far as "looking like his old self", its June and he hasn't taken a hit in months- not exactly a revelation here.   I'm pretty sure every oft-injured player "looks like his old self" in some kind of summer beat writer space filling article.  

True, but it's better than someone missing this time of year due to injury (i.e. Miles Sanders).

Yes, he doesn't have to play all 16 games to be a value.  But how would you feel if he plays 12 while Leonard Fournette is magically healthy for an entire season?  That's the dilemma with choosing him over some of the others.

I think the beat writer's point was that he has recovered and he's able to run, cut, and not look limited by his previous injury.  Now, when the pads come on and when the real games start and he actually takes a hit, we hope that he doesn't fall apart like wet tissue paper.

12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I think if I start WR/WR/WR or WR/WR/TE he will be one of my targets.  Otherwise I’ll probably stay away from this guy. Just so much risk involved. 

His PPR ADP right now is 29.  If you're in a 10 team league and you're drafting at the back of your draft, ok, then maybe he'll be available.  Otherwise not a chance that he's there in the 4th round.

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/30454/mullet-power-has-led-tyler-eifert-to-his-best-start-since-2015

9/27/18:  Tyler Eifert is back to his old self, making contested catches and factoring into the Bengals' offense

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37258/on-his-toes-redskins-see-more-targets-in-future-for-jordan-reed

9/26/18: The desire was there; the results were not. That should start to change as the Washington Redskins offense evolves -- and as tight end Jordan Reed continues to feel like his old self.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000942816/article/eagles-jay-ajayi-feels-like-the-forgotten-rb-in-nfc-east

7/28/18: "For me," Ajayi said, "it's just about going out there and showcasing who the Jay Train is again."

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/can-steadfast-belief-and-a-healed-body-propel-seahawk-brandon-marshall-towards-an-unlikely-comeback/

Marshall has proven plenty to his teammates through an impressive preseason, and not just via a string of consistent on-field production.

9 minutes ago, bomont said:

???

They all looked like their old selves.   They all then stumbled.   Was meant to illustrate the futility of that puff piece about Freeman.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CooL said:

His PPR ADP right now is 29.  If you're in a 10 team league and you're drafting at the back of your draft, ok, then maybe he'll be available.  Otherwise not a chance that he's there in the 4th round.

I do a 10 and 2 12’s. Top 30 is to risky for me. He hasn’t stayed remotely healthy and confusion history scares the crap out of me. I’d feel safer with a josh Jacobs type honestly. 

54 minutes ago, BrianM said:

They all looked like their old selves.   They all then stumbled.   Was meant to illustrate the futility of that puff piece about Freeman.     

Eifert: Most fragile player in the league

Reed: Constant concussion risk and always some other nagging issue.

Ajayi: Chronic knee issue. Up for debate if he was ever really good.

Marshall: No surprise, he just got old.

I get that people are afraid of Devonta's injury history but its not like he tore his knee or Achilles.

4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Reed: Constant concussion risk and always some other nagging issue.

Ajayi: Chronic knee issue. Up for debate if he was ever really good.

Marshall: No surprise, he just got old.

I get that people are afraid of Devonta's injury history but its not like he tore his knee or Achilles.

Devonta has had a bunch of concussions too, to the point that they'll have to be extra cautious if he gets one this year. That's honestly my biggest fear in drafting him. Lot's of RBs get banged up and miss a game or two for lower body ailments, but adding his concussion history to that more-common risk makes me tread even more carefully. Still like him in the high-mid 3rd in 12 teamers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Devonta has had a bunch of concussions too, to the point that they'll have to be extra cautious if he gets one this year. That's honestly my biggest fear in drafting him. Lot's of RBs get banged up and miss a game or two for lower body ailments, but adding his concussion history to that more-common risk makes me tread even more carefully. Still like him in the high-mid 3rd in 12 teamers.

That's a great point about concussions which I honestly kind of forgot about with him.  Concussions are scarier than injuries because there seems to be an even murkier timeline with them.  Will have to keep that in mind for sure.  This might tip the scales towards Fournette for me.

23 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Kevin White has to have an insurmountable lead for this title.    

Anyhow, the point wasn't necessarily to compare Freeman to those guys.   Its just to show that pretty much every single player who's battled multiple injuries gets a puff piece at some point talking about them feeling rejuvenated, so it in itself is a meaningless thing.    It fills the content vacuum for a football writer, that's about it.      You'll see one of these for almost every team about whatever player they have that fits this narrative.  The Chiefs will have one about Sammy Watkins soon I'm sure- "He's feeling as good as he has since his rookie year!"   The Cowboys beat writers will dust off last year's Sean Lee article and will repurpose it for this year, and so it goes

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

duh, that's what I get for flying through this thread so quickly. Didn't see the dates. Good point.

There's a chance he's just not the same after all the injuries.  I think that's ultimately why I'm staying away.  Coupled with the risk of future injury to a guy who just can't seem to stay healthy, I just can't pull the trigger.  I'd rather have a WR at current adp, maybe even Kerryon.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

There's a chance he's just not the same after all the injuries.  I think that's ultimately why I'm staying away.  Coupled with the risk of future injury to a guy who just can't seem to stay healthy, I just can't pull the trigger.  I'd rather have a WR at current adp, maybe even Kerryon.

At 23 he was great. At 24 he was still pretty great. At 25 he was good. At 26 he got injured and at 27... 

I'm not taking this risk, sorry. There's not even a clear backup, so I'm staying away from the whole Atlanta backfield.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

I might have scoffed at this until I heard about the concussion thing, I did not know. That kind of scares me off too. Regardless, at this point if I'm the Falcs I am looking seriously at a long-term replacement next year. Between his age and injuries and losing Coleman, yikes.

Edited by bomont

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm frequently seeing this grouping :

Freeman

Mack

Kerryon 

Aaron Jones 

How would y'all rank those 4 against each other? 

Depends on scoring. For me...

Standard: Mack, Freeman, Jones, Kerryon

.5 PPR: Mack, Freeman, Kerryon, Jones

PPR: Freeman, Kerryon, Mack, Jones

Aaron

Mack

Kerryon

Freeman

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 1

Lol. A lesson in futility. Eveeyone has a different opinion. 

PPR only. 

This is tough for me, but I'm gonna sound off (ranked in my opinion order) :

1. Kerryon - This is 100% contingent on Riddick being cut. Kerryon has skills. I feel like he was held out last year cause the season was lost. Hopefully that isn't a sign of things to come and he's a guy always battling injuries. I love he can catch and break runs and get in the end zone. 

2. Freeman - Proven stud on high powered offense with Tevin Coleman finally gone. Ish Smith doesn't really impress me. Lotta people think this dude is finished cause 1 lost season. He's not the first RB to ever have a lost season though. 

3. A Jones - Gotta love all this offseason talk were hearing from the coaches, but it's hard for me to get behind it until I see it happen. I'm also not a fan of guys that are in the program and 1 mistake away from losing serious time. 

4. Mack - I don't see a path to receptions for him. It's hard to make a living purely as a banger and be healthy 16 games. I hate that Nyheim is like 22 and caught 60 passes last year. 

• Like 2