urban2014

Chris Carson 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I'm starting him this week as my other RB options also have bad matchups and he got me to where I am so hoping he gets a decent amount of touches this week even with all the Penny talk.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

This might be the biggest reason why Carson won't get benched.

oh the pass blocking narrative. The thing people cling to when they realize their less athletic and less skilled fantasy asset has been surpassed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

just bring Prosise in on 3rd downs problem solved

Edited by affliction

Some comments from coach Carroll on Carson and Penny, https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-pete-carroll-fired-up-about-rashaad-pennys-breakthrough-what-does-that-mean-for-chris-carson/

A quick snippet: “What Chris did yesterday, our offensive lineman knocked the ball out of his hands on the first one. The other one, it was a communication problem. It’s a little different than the guy just dropping the ball all over the place.” After the game, Wilson took the blame for the miscue on the handoff exchange. The quarterback changed the play to a run at the line of scrimmage — and Carson clearly didn’t hear the audible.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Q Dog said:

Some comments from coach Carroll on Carson and Penny, https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-pete-carroll-fired-up-about-rashaad-pennys-breakthrough-what-does-that-mean-for-chris-carson/

A quick snippet: “What Chris did yesterday, our offensive lineman knocked the ball out of his hands on the first one. The other one, it was a communication problem. It’s a little different than the guy just dropping the ball all over the place.” After the game, Wilson took the blame for the miscue on the handoff exchange. The quarterback changed the play to a run at the line of scrimmage — and Carson clearly didn’t hear the audible.

As a coach you don’t say those things and then decide to bench the guy because it would make him look like an idiot. If he had plans on benching carson he would use the fumbles as a reason. Sounds like great news for Carson IMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Q Dog said:

You hear jokes about how a player slept with the coaches wife. However, in this case I’m pretty sure the coach slept with the player.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Put a fork in Chris Butterfingers Carson!

Fire Penny Up Boys!!!

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

You hear jokes about how a player slept with the coaches wife. However, in this case I’m pretty sure the coach slept with the player.

Huh!?!? 

Most of us are Scratching our heads on that one. 

15 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

Huh!?!? 

Most of us are Scratching our heads on that one. 

Good to know you are the voice of the entire forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 11/26/2019 at 10:52 AM, paulwall29 said:

PFF pass blocking data this season:

• Carson 59.2 grade; 9 pressures allowed (2 sacks, 1 hit, 6 hurries) in 66 pass blocking snaps (13.6%)
  • Penny 56.4 grade; 1 pressure allowed (1 sack) in 8 pass blocking snaps (12.5%)

Sooo...in terms of pure blocking ability, Carson is better.  But we are comparing eight snaps.

Odds are this week may be a good week to find an alternative and see how it shakes out. The Vikings off a bye could be imposing...along with the added risk of time share and fumbling issues. It's even within possibility penny is forced now to be the guy and Carson is used in an alternative role but thats doubtful too. Carson's played pretty good this year...but don't know if good enough to be immune to this situation

Listening to Pete and local radio here, my gut (just a guess) says we are looking at a 60/40 timeshare this week in Carson's favor.  That being said, if I'm right, I look at Carson having a safer floor, but Penny being the one with the boom potential.  I have to choose who to play in my lineup Monday.  If I need points, I'm going Penny.  If I need stability, I'm going Carson.

• Like 2

I think I'm sitting him this week. Vikings D is scary and so is the potential of a timeshare. 

Classic Carson game where everyone is down on him because Penny did something he rarely does. I'm expecting 75-80 yds and a TD. Sprinkle in 3 catches for 25 yards. That's a nice PPR game 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Carson has been getting some very unlucky fumbles this year and it seems like Pete agrees. Carson is still the lead back, but for this week we might see a time share only because Vikings rush D is too good that Carson may not be able to rush up in them. Looks like a lot of check down passes to the RB’s this week. Carson still has a nice playoff schedule tho 

• Like 4

On 11/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, croikee said:

Listening to Pete and local radio here, my gut (just a guess) says we are looking at a 60/40 timeshare this week in Carson's favor.  That being said, if I'm right, I look at Carson having a safer floor, but Penny being the one with the boom potential.  I have to choose who to play in my lineup Monday.  If I need points, I'm going Penny.  If I need stability, I'm going Carson.

i see 60/40 as a worst-case scenario for carson but certainly a possibility. based on carroll's quote posted by @Q Dog above, carson retains his role. based on this quote from the same article, " “Rashaad did great. I’m really fired up for that,” we can certainly expect the touches for penny. i see 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of carson. but gamescript could easily promote monday night for wilson, lockett, and metcalf + a spash of hollister.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, ak427 said:

I think I'm sitting him this week. Vikings D is scary and so is the potential of a timeshare. 

pay attention to linval joseph's' health. the viking's D is 1) only scary for the run when linval joseph plays, and 2) is the opposite of scary in the secondary. if joseph plays, we could easily see a more pass-happy game.

linvel joseph is coming off an injury and is still "LIMITED" as of yesterday's practice.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, SonataArctica said:

oh the pass blocking narrative. The thing people cling to when they realize their less athletic and less skilled fantasy asset has been surpassed.

There is merit here though, Chris Carson has always been the better pass blocker.  Which was one of the factors that made it easier to give him the lion's share of touches.  But if Penny can keep closing the gap he will continue to wrestle away touches as the season progresses.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, GoVols98 said:

Classic Carson game where everyone is down on him because Penny did something he rarely does. I'm expecting 75-80 yds and a TD. Sprinkle in 3 catches for 25 yards. That's a nice PPR game 

Did something he rarely does?  Penny averages over a yard more a touch than Carson.  Penny is a young player who hasn't been given much opportunity.

People are down on Chris Carson because of what I was stating over a month ago.  The dude fumbles too much and isn't that good to be in much more of a 50/50 role with an electric back like Penny looming in the wings.

Chris Carson is not a good pass catching back.  Pete has really tried to give Carson opportunities here too and it just hasn't been materializing.  Carson is a good pass protection back though so that is what keeps him getting the receptions over Penny.  If Penny starts to improve here and learn blocking assignments better you will see Penny's targets go up at the expense of Chris Carson's targets.

• Like 2

Lots of typical FF overreaction to me. Which means Carson will be the lead back Monday. Not saying Penny shouldn’t be owned. I do. But it’ll take a Carson injury for Penny to be startable IMO. 

• Thanks 1