Boudewijn

Julio Jones 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I have to sit as I watched him play w it last week.  Did we ever get any clarity as to what the injury actually was?

Ugh. He’s still in my lineup for now and there’s great reason to sit him but if there’s anyone who’s able to drop a Julio game when you least expect him to.....

AC joint. Likely grade 1 as that is same type of injury keeping Conner out.

Wondering if I start Hollywood Deebo or sterling in his place. Worried if he plays he won't be much more than a decoy and Lattimore should be back.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Espoiral said:

Ugh. He’s still in my lineup for now and there’s great reason to sit him but if there’s anyone who’s able to drop a Julio game when you least expect him to.....

Last week he hung the arm low and did not raise it above his head.  He also had a lineman come help him up by pulling on his good arm.  I was wondering if he dislocated, sublexed, or it was just so inflammed from the hit/fall he couldnt move it.

Julio is having a down year.  Now he's injured and was in and out of the game last week.  Lattimore likely covering him like flies on poop.  Feeling like he's going to be used as a decoy.  Hard to start.  Yet, it's Julio, right?  WR1 and auto start every time he's active because you don't want to miss the classic once a year Julio blow-up game?  Ah, tough decisions before the turkey is ready...

Well if you are like me this is a must win week to make the playoffs and you are debating starting Julio Jones. His so called shoulder injury is the same AC joint strain that Deebo and Conner have. There are different degrees of it and the mildest form is a passion tolerance thing. We saw Deebo be looked all week but play with it. He only saw 2 targets but did well. He also had a full week to rest the injury. We saw Julio hurt or last Sunday. He managed to play through it but clearly in pain.

So.... 1st question is does he play? It might be a true game time decision based on how it feels before game time. Falcons have nothing to play for so sitting him might be a smart call.

2nd if he plays well he be a decoy. To this I say no. This is not a leg injury and if he rotates the pain enough to run routes and uses his arms to get off the line, then he will not be a decoy. However since Julio isn't exactly a warrior he might come off for a few posts everytime he aggravates it a little so might only see 50 to 60% of snaps.

3rd will he get me a zero if I start him? Real risk as if hé reaggravate it enough early in the game he might be out rest of game.

4th issue is well he get Lattimore? Sounds like he will play so either will be on Julio or Calvin with the other likely double teamed. So what we have today is a huge dilemma. This is a guy who is a top receiver in a potentially high scoring game who could be the wr1 this week if things fall right or could get you a zero.

I almost wish he is declared out so as to take away my risk and to let him break so he will be healthy next week.

I would think if your team is projected to win by large margin you swap him out for a safer choice with lower ceiling. But then you have to ask yourself how you would feel benching your round 1 stud and have him go off on your bench which is in the range of outcomes.

So tell me what you will do and who you might choose to start over him.

• Like 1

Rotoworld says 

Continue to fire him up as a no-doubt WR1.

But, for some reason, I have doubts.

4 minutes ago, CanaBuc said:

Well if you are like me this is a must win week to make the playoffs and you are debating starting Julio Jones. His so called shoulder injury is the same AC joint strain that Deebo and Conner have. There are different degrees of it and the mildest form is a passion tolerance thing. We saw Deebo be looked all week but play with it. He only saw 2 targets but did well. He also had a full week to rest the injury. We saw Julio hurt or last Sunday. He managed to play through it but clearly in pain.

So.... 1st question is does he play? It might be a true game time decision based on how it feels before game time. Falcons have nothing to play for so sitting him might be a smart call.

2nd if he plays well he be a decoy. To this I say no. This is not a leg injury and if he rotates the pain enough to run routes and uses his arms to get off the line, then he will not be a decoy. However since Julio isn't exactly a warrior he might come off for a few posts everytime he aggravates it a little so might only see 50 to 60% of snaps.

3rd will he get me a zero if I start him? Real risk as if hé reaggravate it enough early in the game he might be out rest of game.

4th issue is well he get Lattimore? Sounds like he will play so either will be on Julio or Calvin with the other likely double teamed. So what we have today is a huge dilemma. This is a guy who is a top receiver in a potentially high scoring game who could be the wr1 this week if things fall right or could get you a zero.

I almost wish he is declared out so as to take away my risk and to let him break so he will be healthy next week.

I would think if your team is projected to win by large margin you swap him out for a safer choice with lower ceiling. But then you have to ask yourself how you would feel benching your round 1 stud and have him go off on your bench which is in the range of outcomes.

So tell me what you will do and who you might choose to start over him.

Julio has certainly been a decoy before.  I don't understand why you think a shoulder injury won't affect him.  Yes, he's a receiver, and he needs his legs, and this is not a foot or leg injury.  But a receiver also needs to raise his arms up to actually catch the ball.  If the shoulder hurts, he's not going to want to raise his arms or won't lift then up as fast.  

Julio has to be one of the most frustrating WRs to own.  In and out of the lineup, frequently on sidelines after a catch, inexplicably not on the field when they are in the red zone (at least last year when I watched with more interest).

I'd roll players like Diggs, Lockett, John Brown, and maybe even Allen Robinson over Julio this week.

I did say it will affect him and that he could get you a zero.

But his injury is part one that physically would limit him from being able to perform. It is a matter of pain tolerance which unfortunately doesn't seem to have much of.

unlike a hamstring or ankle injury which would actually live it your speed or cutting ability this should not limit him from being able to use his arms short of being afraid of some pain.

34 minutes ago, CooL said:

Julio is having a down year.  Now he's injured and was in and out of the game last week.  Lattimore likely covering him like flies on poop.  Feeling like he's going to be used as a decoy.  Hard to start.  Yet, it's Julio, right?  WR1 and auto start every time he's active because you don't want to miss the classic once a year Julio blow-up game?  Ah, tough decisions before the turkey is ready...

This guy is a nightmare to own, plain and simple. 

He was still making plays at the end of the game when his shoulder was bothering him. I think you have to start him I mean he is Julio Jones after all. He is going up against Lattimore so it isn’t an ideal matchup, but you will be kicking yourself if you’re fighting for a playoff spot and bench this guy and he produces.

3 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

He was still making plays at the end of the game when his shoulder was bothering him. I think you have to start him I mean he is Julio Jones after all. He is going up against Lattimore so it isn’t an ideal matchup, but you will be kicking yourself if you’re fighting for a playoff spot and bench this guy and he produces.

Seems like a Julio game to me. I don't believe the injury reporting out there most of the time. If he couldn't go he would already be ruled out imo. Thanksgiving day, prime time vs the Saints. 100 yds and two TD's for Julio tonight. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

Probably right, although I’ve been kicking my self for drafting him for weeks. Sigh

Moving forward, I think there's something to be said about having age cutoffs for drafting certain positions. I think Julio has reached that point and gone beyond. He's still a productive player, especially in PPR, but he's a late second rounder or third rounder moving forward in 10 team, and I'd rather have a younger guy with a bit more TD potential. 

He's been a top-3 ranked receiver nearly every week and he never produces those numbers. I don't recall ADP, but I got him as a second round bookend with Davante Adams. 

Edited by Hacksawjimduggan

19 minutes ago, Hacksawjimduggan said:

Moving forward, I think there's something to be said about having age cutoffs for drafting certain positions. I think Julio has reached that point and gone beyond. He's still a productive player, especially in PPR, but he's a late second rounder or third rounder moving forward in 10 team, and I'd rather have a younger guy with a bit more TD potential. 

He's been a top-3 ranked receiver nearly every week and he never produces those numbers. I don't recall ADP, but I got him as a second round bookend with Davante Adams. 

This exactly. Anyone drafting him in the first 2 rounds going forward is nuts. His year end numbers are deceiving because of those few sporadic monster games. Cool, he had a game with 300 yards last year but if most of his other games 12-15 ppr points I say no thanks. I don’t care that he won me one or two random games, I care that he consistently underwhelms in many other games. It’s more likely he will let you down when you need him than come through. 3rd pick at best. I will say I don’t think it’s all his fault, the falcons are terrible in every way

Yes am disappointed overall with him but look at a lot of the other guys drafted around same ADP

Keenan hot and cold

Juju bust

Obj bust

Adams injured

Ty Hilton injured

AB crazy and bust

So while he hasn't gone off much he has been consistently producing 10 to 20 every week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CanaBuc said:

Yes am disappointed overall with him but look at a lot of the other guys drafted around same ADP

Keenan hot and cold

Juju bust

Obj bust

Adams injured

Ty Hilton injured

AB crazy and bust

So while he hasn't gone off much he has been consistently producing 10 to 20 every week.

No doubt, all the more reason to go RB heavy

I usually like to get 2 RB in 1st 3 rounds and 1 top receiver.

Then let draft fall to me.

This year RB has been hit or miss too.

Montgomery

Mixon

Kerryon

Conner

Mack

Damien Williams

Kamara 

Coleman

Gurley

All have disappointed