Boudewijn

Julio Jones 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

Could be, but he doesn't really look like he's playing any worse than he has in years past... the opportunities in the red zone are just non-existent.

He's top 4 in average yards per game and top 6 for total yardage on the season despite missing a game. The fact that he's 14th in total targets and 19th in total receptions is the telling tale of his fantasy season however (along side the obvious lack of TDs). So I wouldn't say he's not the guy he used to be from a talent outlook, he's making good use of the opportunities he gets, but from a fantasy standpoint the ship does look like it's raising its sails soonish.

The biggest difference is the offense isn’t elite this year. They can’t run the football AT ALL, and the O-Line can’t protect Ryan. The run game opens up the passing game.

Julio’s fantasy production is down this year and it’s disappointing, but to me it’s not because he looks washed.

20 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

The biggest difference is the offense isn’t elite this year. They can’t run the football AT ALL, and the O-Line can’t protect Ryan. The run game opens up the passing game.

Julio’s fantasy production is down this year and it’s disappointing, but to me it’s not because he looks washed.

Agreed. I would say he's far from washed as a player but Atlanta as a team is holding him down from hitting his ceiling. Going forward we'll have to take into consideration what Atlanta has done to remedy the aforementioned issues in the offseason in order to draft Julio appropriately rather than just assuming he will end up top 4.

• Like 1

Like I said in the Hooper thread, hopefully having Julio and Austin on the field will open up opportunities for both guys.

• Like 1

I predict that Julio will actually catch a touchdown this week, and that it will be overturned by review.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bastardo! said:

I predict that Julio will actually catch a touchdown this week, and that it will be overturned by review.

Hooper illegal pick.

On the next play Hooper gets TD.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

Hooper will jump in front of Julio and vulture his TD...

I'm sure ATL will be feeding Who?lio the ball all day considering there's absolutely nothing to play for and he's in Decoy Mode.

4 targets, 2 catches, 16 yards - sits out 2nd half.

Hmmm, such a tough call today.  Anyone see him practice or any type of limitations?  Saw the game he was injured and he couldn't do much after it happened.

Atlanta scores 40 pts, Julio scores 0 tds.  I'm so done with this guy. Never drafting him again

Edited by HTXMade
  • Like 1

Just now, HTXMade said:

Atlanta scores 40 pts, Julio scores 0 tds.  I'm so done with this guy

Falcons have scored 212 points since Week 3 in games Julio has played.  He has zero TDs.

It's really not Julio's fault, but that doesn't help fantasy owners.

Why Matt Ryan refuses to throw a specimen like Julio the ball might go down as my most puzzling fantasy question of all time. You'd assume it should be like a Stafford/Megatron connection, but he just refuses to look his way. 

• Like 3

Julio could put up Michael Thomas numbers every year. It’s actually quite sad they don’t force him the ball anymore. 8 out of 12 games under 10 targets for a player like Julio is absurd. He still has breakaway speed but they rarely utilize him in the short passing game. Why pay the man so much money to under utilize him? 

Julio has been one of my favorite wide receivers to watch since coming into the league so I’ve always tried to draft him. His 2015 (1871 yards) was amazing. Sadly I don’t think I’ll be taking him next year 😢

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

It's really not Julio's fault, but that doesn't help fantasy owners.

Why Matt Ryan refuses to throw a specimen like Julio the ball might go down as my most puzzling fantasy question of all time. You'd assume it should be like a Stafford/Megatron connection, but he just refuses to look his way. 

Why look his way when you can get Justin Gage and Christian Blake involved in the offense?

• Haha 2

Stuck with him for months on the premise that "he is due."  Barely survived yesterday.  Enjoy his 200 and 3 next week.  It'll be on my bench.

here_lies.jpg

• Haha 2

One silver lining going into next week: Sherman left the game late yesterday with a hammy and is doubtful to play on Sunday, which makes sense as they have 2 important division games to close the year in LAR and SEA. That DL will still give Ryan fits and leave him little time to throw, but I'll always accept a #1 CB being out in my matchups (especially because Sherman has been balling this year).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Why look his way when you can get Justin Gage and Christian Blake involved in the offense?

Don’t forget Olamide Zaccheaus...  newly minted owner of the longest TD pass in the NFL this season.

• Haha 1

Richard Sherman going to be out next week out looks...... wonder if that helps Julio next week?

23 minutes ago, Brye said:

Richard Sherman going to be out next week out looks...... wonder if that helps Julio next week?

Honestly, I don't think it matters who covers Julio. He's gonna get open on 99.9% of them. The only thing that can help him is if Ryan starts going to him more. 

34 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Honestly, I don't think it matters who covers Julio. He's gonna get open on 99.9% of them. The only thing that can help him is if Ryan starts going to him more. 

With Ridley out, it could happen. One can only hope. I wish my season didn't end this weekend to find out. But certainly no Sherman and Ridley points the arrow in Julio's favor. One could argue San Fran will dial in on him more with Ridley out...but the issue was never the coverage he was getting, it was the targets. If he gets a few extra targets with Ridley out of the picture, I could see him putting up a respectable stat line next week despite the hard matchup.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Julio Jones constantly draws double team coverage making it easier for his teammates to make plays.

Last year he had over 1600 yards receiving and 8 TD's. 

His numbers are down for sure this year but he's still pretty damn good outside of fantasy football leagues which make it seem like he's some sort of bust.

• Like 1