The 7th Beatles

Odell Beckham Jr. 2019 Outlook

Odell disappointed by not playing the last 4 games of 2018 which caused issues for his fantasy owners. More than likely will have a new QB for 2019. Still feel he's a top 20 pick for 2019. How are you guys valuing Odell going into 2019?

Image result for odell beckham jr

Posted (edited)

I'm going to let someone else deal with the NYG headache of QB and o-line issues in a rebuild that they won't admit is a rebuild.

OBJ will probably go back half of 1st rd/2nd rd wrap around but the skills player to own on the NYG is Barkley.

If obj falls to 2nd you could be tempted to go for the Barkley-Obj-Eli stack. .  since we know OBJ also THROWS TD's:lol:

Edited by dashoe

I'd take him late second. It's not that WRs can't perform on teams with incompetent QBs. It's just the headache is not worth such a high investment. 

He's now missed 20 games in 5 seasons, which doesn't help when you're looking at a player costing premium draft capital.     If he slides outside the top 10 WR's, that's good for me to take a shot at him, but i struggle to want him at his usual cost.      Honestly I'd feel better about OBJ if Eli is the starter next year.   I know the Giants as a team should probably move on to a rookie, but I think OBJ did just fine with Eli at the helm. I shudder to think what happens to Beckham's production if he has to handle rookie growing pains.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

He's now missed 20 games in 5 seasons, which doesn't help when you're looking at a player costing premium draft capital.     If he slides outside the top 10 WR's, that's good for me to take a shot at him, but i struggle to want him at his usual cost.      Honestly I'd feel better about OBJ if Eli is the starter next year.   I know the Giants as a team should probably move on to a rookie, but I think OBJ did just fine with Eli at the helm. I shudder to think what happens to Beckham's production if he has to handle rookie growing pains.  

Yup, Odell and Brown are fades for me. I can see a couple more meltdowns if the Giants are s--- again

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 2:58 PM, Gohawks said:

I'd take him late second. It's not that WRs can't perform on teams with incompetent QBs. It's just the headache is not worth such a high investment. 

A QB that throws for 4300 yards, with 22 TDs and 11 INTs, completes 66% of his passes with a 7.5 Yards Per Attempt is "incompetent"?

1 minute ago, FF4life said:

A QB that throws for 4300 yards, with 22 TDs and 11 INTs, completes 66% of his passes with a 7.5 Yards Per Attempt is "incompetent"?

Yes. 22 TDs and a 2/1 TD/INT ratio is incompetent in the modern NFL.

16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Also incompetent by that metric: Case Keenum (18/15), Matthew Stafford (21/11) and Derek Carr (19/10). Actually, you know what, you may have a point :)

Fun fact though, also incompetent: Russel Wilson 2016 (21/11).

;)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Also incompetent by that metric: Case Keenum (18/15), Matthew Stafford (21/11) and Derek Carr (19/10). Actually, you know what, you may have a point :)

Fun fact though, also incompetent: Russel Wilson 2016 (21/11).

;)

Wilson was actually bad that year. He sprained his MCL early on and played through it. Also battles various other injuries and wouldn’t sit. Honestly a lot of people in Seattle were annoyed they wouldn’t rest him. Anywho, it led to him putting in a disappointing season.

• Like 1

Anyway, to get back to OBJ: his QB situation will be something to monitor.

Eli is going slowling down bit by bit (although his numbers are not as terrible as he looks on the field, witness the 4300 yards), and if they replace him, Odell may have a rookie slinging it to him, which may not immediately be an improvement.

12 hours ago, Gohawks said:

11 INTs over 16 games is actually pretty good.

51 minutes ago, FF4life said:

11 INTs over 16 games is actually pretty good.

It's actually average. He had the exact same TDs and INTs as Stafford and similar to Carr. Both of which are incompetent as well. 

A bigger issue is his stats look better than he actually played and his deep ball was terrible. That's an issue when Odell is such a good deep threat.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:59 PM, BrianM said:

The missed games is what worries me most. I had recently done a check on his games played, and this is the specific breakdown...

2014: 4 missed games

2015: 1 missed game 

2016: 0 missed games

2017: 12 missed games

2018: 4 missed games

So in 3 of 5 seasons, he's missed at least 25% of the schedule. None of the missed games were Week 17 DNP Rest games. We know he's terrific on the field, but those missed games can really hurt fantasy owners.

Based on his injuries and the QB questions for the Giants, I personally have him as the #9 WR for 2019 as of right now. I'd rank him below Tyreek/Hopkins/Adams (who I see as the the top 3 and have no issue with any of them being the first WR off the board), AB (who gets his own category due to all of the drama surrounding him), and Julio/JuJu/Thomas/Evans. 

6 hours ago, dashoe said:

Odell needs. . . .FLACCO. . . .:lol:

there ya go! Jersey Joe slingin' it deep to OBJ! Or is is Delaware Joe?   :lol:

Ex-Baltimore Joe for sure.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dashoe said:

Odell needs. . . .FLACCO. . . .:lol:

Washington has dibs on flacco

• Haha 1

Has this thread been frozen by the fear from the OBJ fans and owners?

Multiple trade rumors, tweets, etc and not a single comment nor a single rampant speculation. . :lol:

27 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Multiple trade rumors, tweets, etc and not a single comment nor a single rampant speculation. . :lol:

It’s Barkley’s show now.

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

I think Beckham owners should be anytjing but scared. More than likely Beckham plays for a new team (Cleveland) in 2019, in the best situation of his career.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

I think Beckham owners should be anytjing but scared. More than likely Beckham plays for a new team (Cleveland) in 2019, in the best situation of his career. It’s just tough to discuss it much until it happens.

5 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I think Beckham owners should be anytjing but scared. More than likely Beckham plays for a new team (Cleveland) in 2019, in the best situation of his career.

if he goes to a team with a crappy team I would be scared, Swap out Cleveland for Buffalo or Miami both teams which will have the cap and draft picks to acquire him and what do you have? Really good teams wont be able to afford him. Sure niners and browns are ideal given their rebuild but what if it's OAK, they couldnt make Amari work.

22 minutes ago, dashoe said:

if he goes to a team with a crappy team I would be scared, Swap out Cleveland for Buffalo or Miami both teams which will have the cap and draft picks to acquire him and what do you have? Really good teams wont be able to afford him. Sure niners and browns are ideal given their rebuild but what if it's OAK, they couldnt make Amari work.

True, Beckham to Buffalo, Oakland, Miami, or any other bad team would be...bad. I just don’t see that happening. I think those teams are well aware of what an unhappy Odell Beckham is like and would wisely choose not to pursue him in trade. The only situation that makes sense is Beckham to a legit competitor, with cap space, the need for a WR1, and strong team leadership. 

Cleveland offers all of those things. They have a great leader in Mayfield, plus the familiarity of Beckhams old teammate Jarvis Landry, and WR coach Adam Henry who coached both Beckham and Landry at LSU. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

True, Beckham to Buffalo, Oakland, Miami, or any other bad team would be...bad. I just don’t see that happening. I think those teams are well aware of what an unhappy Odell Beckham is like and would wisely choose not to pursue him in trade. The only situation that makes sense is Beckham to a legit competitor, with cap space, the need for a WR1, and strong team leadership. 

Cleveland offers all of those things. They have a great leader in Mayfield, plus the familiarity of Beckhams old teammate Jarvis Landry, and WR coach Adam Henry who coached both Beckham and Landry at LSU. 

The only problem with the Browns is they committed $75mm to Landry .  Once you add landrys guaranteed 45mm and obj $65mm ,the numbers dont add up when you have to fill out other parts of the roster on defense and offense.

Maybe they roll the dice for 1 season but carrying 2 wr's over $100mm is the quickest way to cripple your team.

The truth is if you have OBJ, Landry is essentially expendable because you can get much cheaper options to replace him

On 1/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, bhawks489 said:

Washington has dibs on flacco

I was close.