The 7th Beatles

Odell Beckham Jr. 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, Rickydragon said:

You answered your own question.  It’s obvious that his athletic prime was his first 3 years.  What made him an icon was freakish athleticism and lightning quickness.  That style of play probably doesn’t age well, especially with the injuries.  And he’s a small guy, not a beast like Evans or MT who don’t rely on quickness.  

This post is just flat out crap.

Purely scientifically speaking, strength wise you are at your peak around 25-27. For example, marathon runners are at their peak around 28. So from that perspective, Odell is right around his peak age in terms of just physical talent. 

From pure football terms, the average WR peaks around 27.5 years old. Most WR start to display a steady decline around 29. Again, key word being steady not sharp either. Odell is only 27 years old. 

Also, it's funny that you should bring up him being a small guy thus having more reason to peak early. Guys like Julio, Megatron, and Evans had all their best season at a younger age than guys like Holt, Brown, and Harrison. One can very easily argue smaller guys can last longer because physical freaks are PHYSICAL freaks. Guys like Odell are a lot more dependant on route running and hands despite their quickeness due to lack of size.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

It doesn’t get to much easier quite yet. He still has 2 Pittsburgh matchups coming up. Ask cooper Kupp about them 

TOO SOON!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still on pace for 78/1,124 which wouldn’t be so horrible if the TDs were there. Unfortunately, they aren’t so he looks like an even bigger bust than he actually is.

• Like 1

Mayfield's game has to provide some encouragement. I didn't expect him to have his first 2-TD game in this scenario. He looked actually competent.

Best buy in fantasy football right now. Schedule lightens up after being almost comically bad so far, Baker just peppered him with targets, and it's Week 11...who still has faith in this guy?

Scared money don't make money.

• Like 4

He will have some big games down the stretch. A player with his talent, getting 10+ targets? The production will follow. No doubt in my mind. He’s coming off games against Gilmore, Harris Jr., and White. Hold if you have him. Acquire him if you don’t. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vanquish2073 said:

Best buy in fantasy football right now. Schedule lightens up after being almost comically bad so far, Baker just peppered him with targets, and it's Week 11...who still has faith in this guy?

Scared money don't make money.

You could probably get Landry much cheaper since people are still holding on the notion that Odell is a WR1. Landry will probably put up better numbers too because he seems to be more in sync with Mayfield and getting higher quality targets. 

13 hours ago, Randy_Rancourtt said:

You could probably get Landry much cheaper since people are still holding on the notion that Odell is a WR1. Landry will probably put up better numbers too because he seems to be more in sync with Mayfield and getting higher quality targets. 

Doubtful. OBJ just went through the gauntlet of elite CBs, and Landry reaped the benefits. The CB schedule reallyyy lightens up for OBJ now. 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:51 PM, Rickydragon said:

It’s obvious that his athletic prime was his first 3 years.  What made him an icon was freakish athleticism and lightning quickness.  That style of play probably doesn’t age well

Thank you, person that's probably never watched a football game, whether it be OBJ this year or Steve Smith, Sr., Randy Moss, Antonio Brown, or Desean Jackson in years past.

Edited by GenerallyPoorAdvice

I think OBJ will come up pretty big heading into the playoffs.  HIs ROS schedule is very nice and the Browns and Baker, while not great, are showing improvement.  

• Like 2

He has one 100 yard game and 1 TD for the season. What makes everyone think he's going to turn it around all of a sudden?

Mayfield blows and needs to be benched.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

He has one 100 yard game and 1 TD for the season. What makes everyone think he's going to turn it around all of a sudden?

So because he didn't light it up against gauntlet of elite CBs, he won't do well against much easier schedule and much lesser CBs matched up against him? LOL ok.

Edited by ThreadKiller

1 minute ago, frog34 said:

OBJ in prime time! What else do you need to know... Fire him up in all formats!

Yep, OBJ loves the spot light. I can see a big game from him tomorrow night.

ODB is on a team that does not put him in the best position to succeed. He does much better on short routes and then making plays with his talent. He is being wasted in his prime years. He should have never signed an extension and just tested the market as a free agent. Now he's stuck. Until there is a QB and coaching change he won't be anything more than a WR3/flex. He will have the occasional explosion like a DJax or Fuller. GEAUX TIGERS! 🐯

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 9:48 AM, Gohawks said:

This post is just flat out crap.

Purely scientifically speaking, strength wise you are at your peak around 25-27. For example, marathon runners are at their peak around 28. So from that perspective, Odell is right around his peak age in terms of just physical talent. 

From pure football terms, the average WR peaks around 27.5 years old. Most WR start to display a steady decline around 29. Again, key word being steady not sharp either. Odell is only 27 years old. 

Also, it's funny that you should bring up him being a small guy thus having more reason to peak early. Guys like Julio, Megatron, and Evans had all their best season at a younger age than guys like Holt, Brown, and Harrison. One can very easily argue smaller guys can last longer because physical freaks are PHYSICAL freaks. Guys like Odell are a lot more dependant on route running and hands despite their quickeness due to lack of size.

We know that he’s 27, but yet he’s at his floor with the worst season of his career.  When is he going to start peaking again?  He’s waiting for next year to pull out the big guns again?  And Odell is not in the same league as Antonio as far as route running and skill.  Completely absurd to try and lump them together for an argument.  He’s never sniffing 125 catch seasons 

I’m rolling him out there this week with my fingers crossed, but mouthwatering at the matchup vs. the Xavier Howard-less Dolphins week 12. 

[...]

I think people are really underestimating how much the browns are relying on Obj to be a baller WR1. The browns paid him a fat contract and basically went all in on him. The only way baker mayfield makes it as their starter is by forming a connection with OBJ. The entire coaching staff/Front office desperately need this to happen otherwise they’re gone. So many jobs  with the browns are tied directly to OBJ being a success. 

If if the browns miss the playoffs (likely) the only way this group survives the offseason is by giving Cleveland hope that the offense is finally clicking. The only way that happens is by baker connecting with OBJ for like 6 tds in the final 5 games. Chubb is an important piece, but bakers viability as a passer is much more important to the franchise. If they don’t develop a connection in the second half of the season and miss the playoffs, people will be saying they need to blow it up again.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

11 hours ago, Pooskay said:

I really don't know that's a damn good question. I think it has to be byes/desperation talking. 

OBJ is an easy bench in yet another crap matchup. I'll certainly be willing to see him have a blow-up game on my bench, and then maybe I'll think about starting him at some future point.

PIT can definitely be exploited in the passing game, but their pass rush at this point in the season is about as good as any defense in the league. That happens to be the Browns' Achilles Heel. The OL can't block it and Mayfield can't Russel-Wilson his way out of it. 

Show me - until then forget it.