Lamont Sanford

Jameis Winston 2019 Outlook

23 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't really know if that's a fair comparison.

Favre threw 33 TDs when he was 25, and the following three years he threw 38, 39 and 35 and won three consecutive MVPs.

Jameis's career high was 28 a few years ago.  He is on pace for 30 this year, which is great, but he's already matched Favre's INT total from that year.

Kind of the point which is, you take the good with the bad.  You knew that Favre was gonna make some dumb throws, but he'd also score a bunch and make up for it.  Jameis is more like you know he's gonna make some dumb throws, but he'll also throw for a lot of yards...not quite the same thing.

Not saying he's Brett Favre, but he's gonna take chances.  Some work out, some don't. That can be refined.  At least he's not like Mariotta or Tyrod Taylor - they didn't turn it over but their offenses often stalled because they were too timid to take chances. 

If I'm Arians and Tampa, I look at Winston and think there's something to work with there.  Then I look at the other options.  Winston has more upside than any of them, except the 2020 draft guys.  And you can still draft a QB and see what happens with Jameis.  I think he's their best bet

11 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Not saying he's Brett Favre, but he's gonna take chances.  Some work out, some don't. That can be refined.  At least he's not like Mariotta or Tyrod Taylor - they didn't turn it over but their offenses often stalled because they were too timid to take chances. 

If I'm Arians and Tampa, I look at Winston and think there's something to work with there.  Then I look at the other options.  Winston has more upside than any of them, except the 2020 draft guys.  And you can still draft a QB and see what happens with Jameis.  I think he's their best bet

Jameis is so weird because he has this very thin comfort margin for making intelligent decisions.

When the game is going south and is getting a lot of pressure, he plays hero ball and makes some dumb throws, or gets hit and fumbles rather than throwing it away.  And that's relatively common for talented young guys. 

But he also does this thing where, in audibled, hot reads and hurry up, after a really nice completion he'll also make the dumbest throw you've ever seen.  It's something I've never seen before.

It goes back to the FSU days (probably High School too, though I've never seen it).  He basically needs super chill conditions to make the smart reads, like the Carolina game this year on TNF or the year FSU won the Chmapionship and they were whupping up on some of the powder puffs in the ACC.

He puts a lot of pressure on his defense.  They're not usually stacking up huge early leads.

I'd agree with you in terms of our arm talent, he's a really strong physical passer.  But the decision making engine I fear is fundamentally flawed. 

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 1

The Bucs haven't made the playoffs in 12 years. They haven't even been particularly close to playing in January since Winston's sophomore year in 2016. He's gotten two coaches fired and may be well on his way to a third.

I love this guy in fantasy because nobody wants to own him  -- he's bad in real life, and it hurts to watch your score go backwards when he throws a pick, but he's usually putting up weekly QB1 numbers. He's squarely in the Bortles mold of a guy who manages to win fantasy games while absolutely killing his real-life team, and that disconnect always translates into fantasy value. He's averaging just 0.7 fewer points per game than Aaron Rodgers, who was drafted in the fifth round.

In real life, the Bucs should absolutely get rid of Winston. He won't hurt for work as a high-end backup or veteran bridge. The Bucs are never getting anywhere in real life with this guy choking away games with his fatally flawed decision making.

I have this guy and I swear in the first quarter of every game... I check my score and he has - 1-4 fantasy points.... and by the time the game is over he is at QB1 numbers.    Like everyone else said he should not be an NFL QB..... but in fantasy he throws the ball so much it works out.     I am praying for a few games where he doesn't have a turn over and chucks 3-4 TD's.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9amest said:

Starting jameis every week is like being strapped to the outside of apollo 13

Owning Winston is like me enjoying McRibs.  I don't really want anyone to know. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Owning Winston is like me enjoying McRibs.  I don't really want anyone to know. 

And you can enjoy it for a limited time only.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

And you can enjoy it for a limited time only.

And sometimes it will make you feel like you want to throw up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

And sometimes it will make you feel like you want to throw up.

lol at "sometimes" in relation to the McRib

although maybe it's technically correct.

Sometimes throwup, the other times, diarrhea

Edited by K197040
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

Sometimes throwup, the rest of the time, diarrhea

The title of Jameis Winston's biography

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, smeeze said:

The title of Jameis Winston's biography

/thread

you can mic drop now

Edited by K197040

I'm benching him against NO in favor of Josh Allen vs Miami, but after this week Jameis has a pretty tasty schedule the rest of the way. 

1 hour ago, OrangeAggie said:

I'm benching him against NO in favor of Josh Allen vs Miami, but after this week Jameis has a pretty tasty schedule the rest of the way. 

No Lattimore it's looking like.  Winston's upside is greater.  

12 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

No Lattimore it's looking like.  Winston's upside is greater.  

Thats for sure, if you want upside go Winston, Allen definitely has the better floor . With that being said im a gambler , I tend to always go with the higher upside play. If I didn't have a better QB I would just ride Jameis all the way ROS & through playoffs . 

9 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Thats for sure, if you want upside go Winston, Allen definitely has the better floor . With that being said im a gambler , I tend to always go with the higher upside play. If I didn't have a better QB I would just ride Jameis all the way ROS & through playoffs . 

Nice I also have him stashed on my bench just in case behind he who runs alot and dont want any of my competitors to have him

Edited by esoomer

If you own Winston in fantasy, just don't watch his games. You will legit think he is a good QB.  This must have been what it was like growing up in decades past and you just got the local game.

If you actually watch him, he isn't good. You miss the 5 throws a game that should be picks.  I'm not talking about an unlucky tipped ball.  I'm talking about him making stupid throws wildly off target and the only player near the ball is the defender.  Or is his other favorite of throwing into into triple coverage and passing up the wide open guy in the flats.  I'm not going to even talk about his pocket presence because it doesn't exist.

• Thanks 1

Winston is the classic case of a qb who is awful in actual games but a solid fantasy qb because even when he has 2-3 turnovers, he'll pass for 400 yards.  I liken him to Blake Bortles when he was with Jacksonville.

16 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Winston is the classic case of a qb who is awful in actual games but a solid fantasy qb because even when he has 2-3 turnovers, he'll pass for 400 yards.  I liken him to Blake Bortles when he was with Jacksonville.

The prototype - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GeorJe00.htm

If you played FF with dial up, or with newspaper box scores, you know who this links to before you click it.

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

lol.  Good ol' Jeff George, a classic gunslinger.

In the sense of that scene in Unforgiven when Gene Hackman talks about Two Gun Murphy.  🤣

Edited by JE7HorseGod

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

In the sense of that scene in Unforgiven when Gene Hackman talks about Two Gun Murphy.  🤣

I remember that George could really sling it but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a lot of his passes.  I think that's a good comparison for Winston.

5 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I remember that George could really sling it but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a lot of his passes.  I think that's a good comparison for Winston.

Thanks.

Yeah, Jeff and Jameis bear some similarities.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:34 PM, Sternes said:

If you own Winston in fantasy, just don't watch his games. You will legit think he is a good QB.  This must have been what it was like growing up in decades past and you just got the local game.

If you actually watch him, he isn't good. You miss the 5 throws a game that should be picks.  I'm not talking about an unlucky tipped ball.  I'm talking about him making stupid throws wildly off target and the only player near the ball is the defender.  Or is his other favorite of throwing into into triple coverage and passing up the wide open guy in the flats.  I'm not going to even talk about his pocket presence because it doesn't exist.

HAHAH... You also find yourself breaking out into a cold sweat when he is on his own 10 yard line and trying to pass..... he is so bad in real life you will swear he is trying to pass to the opposing defense for a TD.   

I stand by my statement that Winston is not a top 20 NFL QB. I don’t care how many yards he puts up. He puts his team in the hole every single game. Any game managing QB who gets 200 yards and limits turnovers is an upgrade for a franchise over Winston.

Edited by gufomel

Dude is hot garbage. He'll have his big games, but the clunkers are atrocious. Absolute dumpster fire.