Lamont Sanford

Jameis Winston 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

He was fine after Evans went down this week, I'm more concerned about the thumb and the possibility of aggravating the injury during the game and missing time. If I can grab Tannehill off the wire I might play him and hope that he doesn't turn back into a pumpkin yet.

They stated it was just a pain management injury, supposedly cant get worse. Either way, I think he is fine. Like you stated, even after Mike went down he still played good football against a better defense than what he will face this week. My thing is with Evans down, Godwin may benefit which my opponent has lol. Keeping winston in to hopefully keep close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

They stated it was just a pain management injury, supposedly cant get worse. Either way, I think he is fine. Like you stated, even after Mike went down he still played good football against a better defense than what he will face this week. My thing is with Evans down, Godwin may benefit which my opponent has lol. Keeping winston in to hopefully keep close.

I like that strategy.  

24 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Ah thanks I didn't see that. He's gonna get pumped so full of painkillers he won't even feel it.

As said, even with Evans out, Winston the gunslinger still made use of his tertiary receivers.  Detroit D not particularly imposing.  But does David Blough play back enough to make this a shootout?  Doesn't seem like Arians is one to take the air out of the ball and slow things down even if they get out to a lead.  Hope he allows Winston to keep throwing and try to get to 5000 yards for the year.  Apparently the second opinion confirmed that there is no further risk of injury to the thumb if he is to keep playing.  Doesn't seem like it affected his grip on the ball.  Hopefully continues to improve before the weekend.

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

As said, even with Evans out, Winston the gunslinger still made use of his tertiary receivers.  Detroit D not particularly imposing.  But does David Blough play back enough to make this a shootout?  Doesn't seem like Arians is one to take the air out of the ball and slow things down even if they get out to a lead.  Hope he allows Winston to keep throwing and try to get to 5000 yards for the year.  Apparently the second opinion confirmed that there is no further risk of injury to the thumb if he is to keep playing.  Doesn't seem like it affected his grip on the ball.  Hopefully continues to improve before the weekend.

I'm not sure about the bolded.  He did just that last weekend.   I think Jameis had around 250 yards in the first half and still didn't get to 300.  I might be wrong on that but I remember thinking at halftime there's no way he doesn't get to 300.

Edited by K197040

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

I'm not sure about the bolded.  He did just that last weekend.   I think Jameis had around 250 yards in the first half and still didn't get to 300.  I might be wrong on that but I remember thinking at halftime there's no way he doesn't get to 300.

The halftime you was correct, he threw for well over 400

3 minutes ago, chouffe said:

The halftime you was correct, he threw for well over 400

Think he's talking about the game before the Colts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Think he's talking about the game before the Colts.

Correct.  I'm thinking about the Jacksonville game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Pretty sure the Lions have the weapons to make this game competitive. They're at home too where they made the Bears game a shootout. Blough is by no means that great but the Bucs defense sure isn't that great...

47.5 over under which bucs are favored by 3.5. Implied total of 25.5 v 22, so thats Bucs vs. Lions projection. Also, Lions get the 3 point cushion for home favorites, so essentially this game should be pretty close, and not let the air come out of the ball. 

I have this theory (Ewing theory) that the bucs offense might actually be better without Evans lol. Just think having a clear #1 in the offense who is capable of being a #1 and putting in faster players in the other spots than Evans may be good for the offense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K197040 said:

This was kind of fluky. Chargers this past weekend put up a boat load of points and Rivers had like 300 and 3. Rivers did!

The bucs jags game was so fluky the bucs had a pick 6, Foles went three and out numerous times and stunk, and the running game scored all the TDs. Biggest outlier of them all. This past week showed the over correction and the fantasy potential of the offense.

Jameis is the only reason I'm still alive in the semis. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I went back and looked at the drive log... the Bucs really didn’t have the ball much in the 2nd half.

They had: 

- Four 3 & Outs (one was a FG after a Jags TODs).

- A 6-play (4 pass, 2 run) 24 yard drive that ended in a Jameis strip/sack fumble.

- A 9-play (7 pass, 2 run, 2 run plays called back on penalty) 29 yard drive that ended with a turnover on downs.

So I don’t think we have to worry about Arians taking the air out of the ball.  Although it will obviously help if the Lions can put up some points.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I went back and looked at the drive log... the Bucs really didn’t have the ball much in the 2nd half.

They had: 

- Four 3 & Outs (one was a FG after a Jags TODs).

- A 6-play (4 pass, 2 run) 24 yard drive that ended in a Jameis strip/sack fumble.

- A 9-play (7 pass, 2 run, 2 run plays called back on penalty) 29 yard drive that ended with a turnover on downs.

So I don’t think we have to worry about Arians taking the air out of the ball.  Although it will obviously help if the Lions can put up some points.

I checked it out as well.  Agree it's hard to make much out of it.   I will say that in the 4th, they went run/run  or run/run/run and seemed content with the 3 and outs.

But yeah...unless they have a huge lead, they'll still pass the ball.   And normally, they won't have only rushing TDs.

And iirc, Godin almost had one but got tackled on the 1.

Edited by K197040

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

I checked it out as well.  Agree it's hard to make much out of it.   I will say that in the 4th, they went run/run  or run/run/run and seemed content with the 3 and outs.

But yeah...unless they have a huge lead, they'll still pass the ball.   And normally, they won't have only rushing TDs.

And iirc, Godin almost had one but got tackled on the 1.

following play jameis got stuff on the sneak then barber scored

• Like 1

What concerns me a bit is that the Rams win against Seattle eliminated the Bucs from playoff contention, so there's definitely less to play for. 

I doubt they sit Winston since they're still trying to decide whether to re-sign him, but it's something to consider. 

So do we think guys like O.J. Howard and Brate can make up for Evans production? Probably not all of it, but if they can get 80% of what Evans produced, then I'll take it. 

Having said that, I haven't felt this nervous about starting a fantasy QB since Jay Cutler. Fractured thumb on throwing hand, no Evans, chucks the ball. But this matchup is too juicy to bench Jameis. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

have this theory (Ewing theory) that the bucs offense might actually be better without Evans lol. Just think having a clear #1 in the offense who is capable of being a #1 and putting in faster players in the other spots than Evans may be good for the offense. 

I love the Ewing theory!

I wish Bill Simmons was still alive (no, the sjw zombie that lives in LA is not real Bill Simmons)...

Anyway, I think Jameis might actually play better hurt and down his top wideout.

He's all about the inexplicable 

6 hours ago, OrangeAggie said:

What concerns me a bit is that the Rams win against Seattle eliminated the Bucs from playoff contention, so there's definitely less to play for. 

I doubt they sit Winston since they're still trying to decide whether to re-sign him, but it's something to consider. 

From PFT:

Via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said he saw comparisons to his 2013 Cardinals team, which started 3-4, before winning seven of the last nine games.

The Cardinals made the playoffs the following season.

“Oh, I think this will be a huge one for us,’’ Arians said. “When we finished that season [in Arizona] beating Seattle, who were division champs, it led into a hell of an offseason. For us to possibly win four-in-a-row, then five-in-a-row against a real good Houston team, and then it’s going to be a struggle in Detroit this week with the number of injuries we’ve got, but that’s building blocks.

“The culture is set because the other guys aren’t accepting it anymore. They don’t accept losing anymore. That’s kind of what the guys stood up and said in the locker room. I didn’t have to say much, we ain’t accepting this [stuff] anymore. You know it’s getting across.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MurderInc said:

So do we think guys like O.J. Howard and Brate can make up for Evans production? Probably not all of it, but if they can get 80% of what Evans produced, then I'll take it. 

Having said that, I haven't felt this nervous about starting a fantasy QB since Jay Cutler. Fractured thumb on throwing hand, no Evans, chucks the ball. But this matchup is too juicy to bench Jameis. 

He played the entire second half with the untreated injury. He went from 20 points in the first half to almost 50 at end of game. He's good to go. JW is a warrior, he's a must start. I think he has the most offensive weapons in the entire NFL --- except RBs that run (they can catch), which of course makes him even more a potential league winner.

1 minute ago, NBatum88 said:

Someone talk me out of starting this guy

Can't. There's not much on the WW at this point. Jimmy G maybe, but I'd rather roll with Winston. Tannehill is probably scooped up, and even him I'd have to think about it. 

18 minutes ago, MurderInc said:

Can't. There's not much on the WW at this point. Jimmy G maybe, but I'd rather roll with Winston. Tannehill is probably scooped up, and even him I'd have to think about it. 

I mean hes carried you all the way here and he probably won you last week in a tough def match up so just roll with it. Also weather wont be a factor. I do like goff this week though.

Who would you have to have on your team to not start Jameis this week?

3 hours ago, CooL said:

Who would you have to have on your team to not start Jameis this week?

Believe it or not....I'd strongly consider Baker Mayfield or Tannehill this week.

Baker: ARI has given up the most fantasy points to QBs this season, and he seems to be a sure-fire bet to post at least 18-20 Fantasy Points. Additionally, this game has "shootout" written all over it. Could easily end up being a 38-35 kind of game.

Tannehill: Not to be overlooked, HOU has given up the 6th most fantasy points to QBs. And it's no coincidence, with the loss of Watt and Clowney leaving, they have no more pass-rush. 7 of the last 9 QBs have gone for 25 Fantasy Points or more, with 5 of those 7 having put up 30+ points. The one draw back here is that they're saying there might be rain and or snow, and that would hinder the passing attack.

I think there are plenty of people who you could start over Jameis this week. Bucs vs Lions feels like it could be a shootout though as well.

Edited by CORTEz

FWIW -

calling it "preventative", and chuckin' foosballs lefty at a charity event last night ... still expected to play Sunday

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Thanks 1