thebadferret

Kerryon Johnson 2019 Outlook

On 9/18/2019 at 6:39 AM, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Is everyone cuffing him with TY Johnson or ignoring the handcuff? 

Nope.  I drafted Kerryon because I like him as a player, not because I value the DET RB very highly.

• Like 4

On 9/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, pushaZ said:

Ty Johnson with a 7.7 college YPC and 6 YPC on the year so far that ran a 4.26 40 yard dash?

On a team that emulates the Patriots and gave LeGarrette Blount over 150 carries last year? For an RB that's had consistent injury issues since college who barely played more than half the year last year?

Nah leave him on the wire bro.

While 7.7 YPC and a 4.26 40 are incredible stats that are certainly a recipe for speculating on upside keep in mind his 7.7 YPC was in his senior season and only over 66 carries.

Ty Johnson certainly has some lottery ticket value for sure but he isn't a player I'd foresee anyone starting over the next couple of weeks.  But you never know he could break one for 80 yards next week and it all changes that fast.

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

While 7.7 YPC and a 4.26 40 are incredible stats that are certainly a recipe for speculating on upside keep in mind his 7.7 YPC was in his senior season and only over 66 carries.

Ty Johnson certainly has some lottery ticket value for sure but he isn't a player I'd foresee anyone starting over the next couple of weeks.  But you never know he could break one for 80 yards next week and it all changes that fast.

He also didn’t run a 4.26.

• Like 1

Just traded away Gurley for this guy. The high usage is what intrigued me. Gurley just doesn’t look like himself out there. How are KJ owners feeling about him moving forward 

Edited by GangGreen89

1 minute ago, GangGreen89 said:

Just traded away Gurley for this guy. The high usage is what intrigued me. Gurley just doesn’t look like himself out there. How are KJ owners feeling about him moving forward 

I don’t feel great about him week to week, but he’s the primary back on an ok offense. As you said, he’ll get his touches. I wish he was catching more passes.

17 minutes ago, Jean_Elway said:

I just traded Connor for him. Let’s ride this wave together.

More like a ripple lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jean_Elway said:

I just traded Connor for him. Let’s ride this wave together.

I'm looking at a 2for1 for Kerryon. Offloading Josh Jacobs and a WR3 (Gordon or John Brown)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BornandbredHeel said:

I'm looking at a 2for1 for Kerryon. Offloading Josh Jacobs and a WR3 (Gordon or John Brown)

second worst trade offer i've ever heard ... only behind "hey, we'll give ya $24 and some miscellaneous toss in chit for that big island over there ... deal?"

Running backs

Kerryon Johnson: 48 (75%)
Nick Bawden: 19 (30%) — 19 special teams snaps (63%)
Ty Johnson: 13 (20%) — 8 (27%)
J.D. McKissic: 6 (9%) — 11 (37%)

Observations:

• With C.J. Anderson released last week, Kerryon Johnson came as close to a workhorse back as we’ve seen in Detroit. He had a career-high 20 carries, and his 75 percent participation rate is the second highest of his career.
  • Offensive line rotations are still happening at the guard positions, for some reason.

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Running backs

Kerryon Johnson: 48 (75%)
Nick Bawden: 19 (30%) — 19 special teams snaps (63%)
Ty Johnson: 13 (20%) — 8 (27%)
J.D. McKissic: 6 (9%) — 11 (37%)

Observations:

• With C.J. Anderson released last week, Kerryon Johnson came as close to a workhorse back as we’ve seen in Detroit. He had a career-high 20 carries, and his 75 percent participation rate is the second highest of his career.
  • Offensive line rotations are still happening at the guard positions, for some reason.

👆👆👆

A few things. 

1) Bevell is a moron.

Let me follow up on this with another observation

In the final 14 minutes, the Lions ran 9 plays in Eagles territory:

Run for 3 yards
Run for -3 yards
INC pass

Run for 2 yards
Run for 0 yards
INC pass

Run for 0 yards
Run for 0 yards
INC pass

Anyone happen to catch a pattern?

— Jeremy Reisman (@DetroitOnLion) September 22, 2019

2) He faced a light box a lot of last year, per the Zach Zenner 2019 outlook page:

On 8/2/2019 at 9:52 PM, Sternes said:

Average Defenders In The Box  (numbers via player profiler)

Kerryon Johnson - 6.8 (#35)

Zach Zenner - 7.4 (#2)

LeGarrette Blount 7.2 (#4)

Theo Riddick 6.2 (no number due to it being so low I'm assuming)

Percentage of carries with stacked (8 or more), base (7), or light front (6 or fewer defenders)

Stacked/Base/Light

Kerryon Johnson - 23.7% 41.5% 34.7%

Zach Zenner -       34.5% 50.9% 14.5%

LeGarrette Blount - 33.8% 44.8% 22.1%

Theo Riddick  -       2.7% 20.0% 77.5%

3) I want to see what exactly a "stacked" box looked like on Sunday.  Is this taking into account our TE usage?  If we put 3 TE out there, of course the defense will have a "stacked" box. From this week's game:

Heavier tight end usage

T.J. Hockenson — 42, 66-percent
Jesse James — 35, 55-percent
Logan Thomas — 19, 30-percent

Hockenson and James continue to see over 50-percent of snaps, while Thomas picked up Amendola’s snaps.

16 minutes ago, Sternes said:

A few things. 

1) Bevell is a moron.

Let me follow up on this with another observation

In the final 14 minutes, the Lions ran 9 plays in Eagles territory:

Run for 3 yards
Run for -3 yards
INC pass

Run for 2 yards
Run for 0 yards
INC pass

Run for 0 yards
Run for 0 yards
INC pass

Anyone happen to catch a pattern?

— Jeremy Reisman (@DetroitOnLion) September 22, 2019

2) He faced a light box a lot of last year, per the Zach Zenner 2019 outlook page:

3) I want to see what exactly a "stacked" box looked like on Sunday.  Is this taking into account our TE usage?  If we put 3 TE out there, of course the defense will have a "stacked" box. From this week's game:

Heavier tight end usage

T.J. Hockenson — 42, 66-percent
Jesse James — 35, 55-percent
Logan Thomas — 19, 30-percent

Hockenson and James continue to see over 50-percent of snaps, while Thomas picked up Amendola’s snaps.

Just read that K. Johnson faced 8+ in the box on 60% of the snaps. 

The highest of any RB on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Just read that K. Johnson faced 8+ in the box on 60% of the snaps. 

The highest of any RB on Sunday.

Trash qb and or system usually equals trash rb. Stafford is overated. Detroit coaching staff is garb. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So they're saying kansas city is a great matchup, but kansas city scores so quickly that most teams abandon the run. So are we confident that detroit will throw a lot of passes to kerryon johnson? Will kansas city stack the box against kerryon johnson? can detroit keep the game close? I'm thinking of starting lesean mccoy over him, especially with damien williams out.

2 minutes ago, ed06288 said:

So they're saying kansas city is a great matchup, but kansas city scores so quickly that most teams abandon the run. So are we confident that detroit will throw a lot of passes to kerryon johnson? Will kansas city stack the box against kerryon johnson? can detroit keep the game close? I'm thinking of starting lesean mccoy over him, especially with damien williams out.

They’re both strong plays this week. KC lets up a lot of rushing yards and Johnson is also a receiver out of the backfield when they are pass happy. 

39 minutes ago, TheBoondocks said:

Love this guy tbh. His talent should show against KC and their below average run defence. 

Really hope so. This has to be a great game incoming 

11 hours ago, TheBoondocks said:

Love this guy tbh. His talent should show against KC and their below average run defence. 

He better.

If he pulls another 2.4 YPC against this lousy run D...heading into a bye next week. There will be a lot of panicky sell low owners around here.

This guy is incapable of having a good fantasy day, even when he has a pretty decent real life football game. Zero ceiling here, at least he has a decent floor but the seeming lack of upside blows

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, atrium said:

This guy is incapable of having a good fantasy day, even when he has a pretty decent real life football game. Zero ceiling here, at least he has a decent floor but the seeming lack of upside blows

What the hell are you talking about? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1