Boudewijn

Adam Thielen 2019 Outlook

Now that Thielen can officially be deemed useless for the playoffs, we realize that he truly has been a complete waste of a roster spot for the past eight weeks. 

3 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

yeah vikes just jumped out to a lead and didnt really need to throw at all. GB game will be more competitive. Still dont know if you can roll him out there though

Bingo

bad chargers showed up and made this an easy win without the offense doing much of anything.   It’s not as if they exploded while Thielen pouted in the corner LOL. 

That said... I don’t have the stones to roll him next week vs Pack.   But I’m not cutting him and letting someone burn me.

• Like 1

I'm starting him next week. Should be some Monday night fireworks versus Green Bay. He made it through healthy and he said after the game he feels great. I'm ready for him to win me this chip. 

• Like 1

GB vs MIN is for the NFC North best believe Thielen will be involved possibly ..running with their 3rd string back .. he seems like a good play this week but pay attention to practice reports. Im not sure ill roll him out he's still a risk

Performance this week was game flow dependent more than health. It happens. I played him and it will cost me a chance at a championship but unfortunately that’s how this goes sometimes. I would have felt worse if I benched him and he had a 7/80/2 game which he is clearly capable of.

Game flow is a huge huge part of this game and it’s unpredictable.

With the Godwin injury I may have to plug him in for the Championship.  

Will be watching this thread all week.  

Just now, Cleanface said:

With the Godwin injury I may have to plug him in for the Championship.  

Will be watching this thread all week.  

Expecting what? He finished the game healthy.

targets vs GB:   2016.   15, 5

2017     6,13

2018     9,13
                         2019    8,

average of 8+          lots of different variables year to year for sure. I'll probably try to dig into it a little more this week, but at first glance it seems difficult to sit him since he appears healthy and running game is banged up.  And personally, for better or worse, having a player going on Monday night is a factor. 

Going to have to sit Lockett, McLaurin, or Perrimen for him and most likely will.  McLaurins talent and matchup are positive but targets are depressed.  Lockett looked good - Wilson got him involved like he said he would.  Will he keep going to him? More likely now with the unfortunate Gordon news, especially after the Penny injury.  tough call.

16 hours ago, rocklandrew said:

2017     6,13

2018     9,13
                         2019    8,

average of 8+          lots of different variables year to year for sure. I'll probably try to dig into it a little more this week, but at first glance it seems difficult to sit him since he appears healthy and running game is banged up.  And personally, for better or worse, having a player going on Monday night is a factor. 

Going to have to sit Lockett, McLaurin, or Perrimen for him and most likely will.  McLaurins talent and matchup are positive but targets are depressed.  Lockett looked good - Wilson got him involved like he said he would.  Will he keep going to him? More likely now with the unfortunate Gordon news, especially after the Penny injury.  tough call.

Think Lockett needs to stay in. I feel like alot of us will have to decide between Perrimen and AT

he was top 10 set and forget before the injury.  seeing him ranked in the 20s this week, is it mostly because of potential injury scare still that people have concerns about?  

3 minutes ago, Novaray said:

he was top 10 set and forget before the injury.  seeing him ranked in the 20s this week, is it mostly because of potential injury scare still that people have concerns about?  

Probably the less than stellar return (although the Vikes didnt need to throw). My biggest concern is actually the fact Cousins has been awful in primetime/MNF hasnt he?

https://www.twincities.com/2019/12/03/after-loss-at-seattle-espn-tweets-vikings-kirk-cousins-has-worst-record-in-nfl-history-on-monday-night/

Edited by vthokie3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

He’s ranked low by many but I’m sticking with him.

I'm concerned with Cousins in primetime more than Thielen himself

18 hours ago, rocklandrew said:

2017     6,13

2018     9,13
                         2019    8,

Thielen's success against GB is what has me thinking.

My debate is actually Thielen or Diggs so I don't know which guy I'll play.  I kinda want to play Thielen just because Diggs only has 1 TD in his last 8 games.  Thielen just feels like a higher floor guy assuming he's truly back to 100%.

I'll probably watch practice reports this week to see if there is any indication of him being limited at all.  If he is, I'll probably shy away.  But if he's full all week I may have to insert him.  I think we've forgotten a bit how good this guy has been.  And we could be looking at a pass heavy game with Cook banged up.

Interesting take, vthokie; so I had to dig a little deeper.  Cousins MNF losses while playing with Minn both came on the road, vs. SEA.  Only put up 7 pts. last year but did well this season. I'm not going to put much stock into his lack of success with WSH, since I think his supporting cast and coaching will buoy him in this matchup; also the home crowd and dome conditions.   Market correction time?

What has me wondering, looking at the Packs 5th overall vs. QB rating is:  are they for real?  Looking at their schedule they played some really bad passing offenses (Den, Car, Chix2, Det, NYG, Wsh , even getting KC when Mahomes was out.  Prescott skewered them on the road in week 5, then Oakland and Chicago both passed for over 300 vs them.  The Vikes ran roughshod over them last time, so you know they're going to be focusing on stopping the rush regardless.  I am concerned with the nearly 3 sacks per game, but that may make Cousins get rid of the ball quicker.

GB's been good limiting fantasy points to WR's  this season, but not so good against TE's.  The way I read that is: they give up the underneath stuff and middle of the field.   According to the figures I  looked up, Thielen has run 30% of his routes in the slot this year, Diggs 15%.  

This situation seems similar to the Lockett one:  running team needing to incorporate the short passing game because of a lack of RB's.  And in this case, the TE's may need to stay in to block a bit. 

tts42572, I tend to agree about the higher floor (if he's truly back to 100%). health risk lowers floor so tough call for sure.

• Thanks 3

Thielen not on the injury report this week.  Today and tomorrow's practice will confirm but if he gets in full practice without any setbacks, I think I'm rolling him out there.  Running game banged up could equate to a few more passing targets.  He got 3 targets and a carry on about half the snaps last week.  Figure they were easing him back in, but now in a must win spot I imagine they give him a full load.  Somewhere between 7-10 targets this week.

Last year he dominated GB. This year he went 5/75 In week 2 and that’s when Cousins was terrible at the beginning of the year. He should be ranked as a top 10 option.