Boudewijn

Adam Thielen 2019 Outlook

If Diggs, DNP hamstring today, doesn't play could mean a bunch of targets for Thielen this weekend.  Diggs also doesn't tend to perform great when dinged up.

If Diggs is gimpy enough to not get catches but healthy enough to take coverage that sounds good to me

3 minutes ago, koreaonaboat said:

Are we still looking at him as a WR1 after this offense showed its run first mentality yesterday?

They were up 14-0 after the first and 21-0 at halftime at that point its easy to run and then run some more.. Do I expect them to be a more run oriented team yeah sure but 10 passes again? no.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, koreaonaboat said:

Are we still looking at him as a WR1 after this offense showed its run first mentality yesterday?

Yes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, koreaonaboat said:

Cousins won't throw for 10 completions every game in today's NFL. Even with a more run-heavy approach.

• Like 1

Thorough domination and 💩ing of the bed by Atlanta.    Glad theilen got his while this was a game.   

2 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

You guys maybe overreacting?

Honestly don't think so.  The game script was perfect for a 40 plus pass day from Cousins.   Theilan had a amazing year last year and  min is not running the same offense..  If you can get somebody to to buy him off last years stats I would do it.

4 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Lots of overreacting. Week 1 scored a TD but didn't do much after, Vikings didn't need to. Week 2 doesn't do a lot until Vikings were pressed into passing and Cousins looked his way a lot. Final statline isn't pretty, but I think a majority of the public is overlooking Packers defense this year. Zero worry from me. 

1 minute ago, Brettg57 said:

Lots of overreacting. Week 1 scored a TD but didn't do much after, Vikings didn't need to. Week 2 doesn't do a lot until Vikings were pressed into passing and Cousins looked his way a lot. Final statline isn't pretty, but I think a majority of the public is overlooking Packers defense this year. Zero worry from me. 

They were down 21-0 at start of the 2nd quarter.  The hole game should of been passing to catch up.

Edited by youngrice

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

They were down 21-0 at start of the 2nd quarter.  The hole game should of been passing to catch up.

Ya but Zimmer wants to run, run, run. He will never abandon it and nearly kept them in it with that philosophy. 

14 hours ago, Sticky2 said:

Nope this seems to be the beginning of a pattern. Team has switched to run-first even in a deficit. That's not good for thielen at all. The volume isn't there and outside of a few big chunk plays neither wr looks great. Having to rely on TDs or splash plays out of your wr1 isn't good at all. As long as cook is healthy he's mid wr2 at best so not bad but that the wr1 you'd hope for

2 minutes ago, Guwop said:

Nope this seems to be the beginning of a pattern. Team has switched to run-first even in a deficit. That's not good for thielen at all. The volume isn't there and outside of a few big chunk plays neither wr looks great. Having to rely on TDs or splash plays out of your wr1 isn't good at all. As long as cook is healthy he's mid wr2 at best so not bad but that the wr1 you'd hope for

he still had 8 targets.  minny is def a run first offense, but i am guessing as defenses start to close in on the run, it should open up passing more.  they also need to get cousins back on track at some point.  i see better games ahead and would be looking to buy if i didnt already own him....

14 hours ago, Brettg57 said:

Ya but Zimmer wants to run, run, run. He will never abandon it and nearly kept them in it with that philosophy. 

Nearly, but he didn't. Zimmer is being stubborn right now and will lose games because of his mentality.

50 minutes ago, Guwop said:

I hate your analysis but I think you're right. 

Vikings ownership is paying Cousins a ton of money. Cousins, Diggs, and Thielen will start to gripe if they don't start racking up wins with this philosophy. I think this is Zimmer's last gasp that will probably lead to his firing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Vikings ownership is paying Cousins a ton of money. Cousins, Diggs, and Thielen will start to gripe if they don't start racking up wins with this philosophy. I think this is Zimmer's last gasp that will probably lead to his firing. 

Technically Vikes are paying Cousins, Diggs, and Theilen a ton of money.  By my back of napkin math they account for 27% of the Vikes salary cap this year.  Thats a ton of money for players that aren't a focus of the game plan.  I'd like to say better days ahead but I am astounded by NFL coaches decisions year after year.

• Like 1

Going to try to go after the Juju owner and get off this train. 8 targets in a perfect gamescript scares me, and I don't see them changing from that anytime soon.

I don’t completely disagree with a lot of the concern in this thread but Cousins also completed less than 50% of his passes and had several passing plays and multiple TDs wiped out by penalties. 

I think there is a decent chance that as Cousins and the team get a better handle on the new offense things will improve. They clearly were not comfortable the last two games.

I know it’s only going into week 3, but Thielen is worrying me. Not that I can do much about it, can’t exactly bench him [...] What are you guys thinking about this week vs The Raiders? I really need him to have a good game.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content