dylanj

Dalvin Cook 2019 Outlook

The guy hurt his shoulder twice two weeks after injuring it. I doubt it's a severe injury but id be stunned if he played this week. I just don't see the downside of them giving him a week off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yanksman said:

The guy hurt his shoulder twice two weeks after injuring it. I doubt it's a severe injury but id be stunned if he played this week. I just don't see the downside of them giving him a week off.

The downside is he is their absolute best offensive player, and if they lose, they are even more likely to miss the playoffs. That's a pretty massive downside.

I'm astonished at how many posters are saying "Lions should be an easy win, the Vikings can win without Cook." Teams don't view any opponents as "easy wins". No team or coach ever thinks that way. Look at Ron Rivera...he was playing the god awful Redskins at home. Easy win? Nope. He lost, and now he's out of a job. It's the NFL, any team can beat you any week. You go 110% for the win every single time. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out wrong.

I get the desire to want to rest him and make sure he's ok, but if he's healthy enough to play, he'll play. This is an absolute must-win game for the Vikings.

The truth is, none of us have a clue how severe the injury is, or how much pain he is in. But I highly doubt they are going to rest him just for the sake of "playing it safe" with the season on the line.

We'll know more as practice reports roll out late this week.

Edited by UVA_Drew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

The downside is he is their absolute best offensive player, and if they lose, they are even more likely to miss the playoffs. That's a pretty massive downside.

I'm astonished at how many posters are saying "Lions should be an easy win, the Vikings can win without Cook." Teams don't view any opponents as "easy wins". It's the NFL, any team can beat you any week. You go 110% for the win every single time. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out wrong.

I get the desire to want to rest him and make sure he's ok, but if he's healthy enough to play, he'll play. This is an absolute must-win game for the Vikings.

The truth is, none of us have a clue how severe the injury is, or how much pain he is in. But I highly doubt they are going to rest him just for the sake of "playing it safe" with the season on the line.

When someone keeps reinjurung the same injury it certainly makes sense to play it safe vs any opponent. They are facing a dreadful team and Cousins has had a great year, getting Thelen back, and have a capable backup. Dude fumbled because of the injury yesterday. Makes no sense to not let him rest it. 

And anybody who watched the game know how much pain he is in. He was practically crying. 

Edited by yanksman
  • Like 1

shoulders and upper body aren't anything to mess with for an RB, see Connor. Wish it was a lower body thing.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

I'm astonished at how many posters are saying "Lions should be an easy win, the Vikings can win without Cook." Teams don't view any opponents as "easy wins". No team or coach ever thinks that way. Look at Ron Rivera...he was playing the god awful Redskins at home. Easy win? Nope. He lost, and now he's out of a job. It's the NFL, any team can beat you any week. You go 110% for the win every single time. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out wrong.

4 minutes ago, yanksman said:

When someone keeps reinjurung the same injury it certainly makes sense to play it safe vs any opponent. They are facing a dreadful team and Cousins has had a great year, getting Thelen back, and have a capable backup. Dude fumbled because of the injury yesterday. Makes no sense to not let him rest it. 

And anybody who watched the game know how much pain he is in. He was practically crying. 

If he is too hurt to play, then he won’t play. That’s pretty clear, and I’m not arguing that.

But the notion that people keep repeating, that “the Lions are an easy win”, and the “Vikings can afford to rest Cook because there is no downside”, is flat out wrong. No NFL teams or coaches think like that. Ever. That’s ridiculous.

And those are two completely different arguments, you can’t conflate the two.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, austin316 said:

shoulders and upper body aren't anything to mess with for an RB, see Connor. Wish it was a lower body thing.

I don't 

3 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

If he is too hurt to play, then he won’t play. That’s pretty clear, and I’m not arguing that.

But the notion that people keep repeating, that “the Lions are an easy win”, and the “Vikings can afford to rest Cook because there is no downside”, is flat out wrong. No NFL teams or coaches think like that. Ever. That’s ridiculous.

This +1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UVA_Drew said:

I'm astonished at how many posters are saying "Lions should be an easy win, the Vikings can win without Cook."

Teams don't view any opponents as "easy wins". No team or coach ever thinks that way.

Look at Ron Rivera...he was playing the god awful Redskins at home. Easy win? Nope. He lost, and now he's out of a job. It's the NFL, any team can beat you any week. You go 110% for the win every single time. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out wrong.

So wait a second, the Bengals win over the Jets wasnt an easy win or the Redskins over Panthers or the tanking Dolphins beating the playoff hunting Eagles wasnt an easy win? Those were matchups of the week fantasy owners would disagree.

Are you sure? 🤣

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

DALVIN COOK believes his fumble plus him not playing the rest of the game is the reason they lost. 

Dudes on a mission next week to right his ship.

• Like 1

I just hope he plays the whole game or sits so we can start someone else. 

I don't want him going out there for a series, then finds out his shoulder is still jacked up and is donezo for the game. Can't afford a goose egg in the fantasy playoffs. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

DALVIN COOK believes his fumble plus him not playing the rest of the game is the reason they lost. 

Dudes on a mission next week to right his ship.

So what he is really saying in a passive aggressive way is that Mattisons sucks? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MurderInc said:

I just hope he plays the whole game or sits so we can start someone else. 

I don't want him going out there for a series, then finds out his shoulder is still jacked up and is donezo for the game. Can't afford a goose egg in the fantasy playoffs. 

So if the injury and pain is caused according to Dalvin by a specific type of physical contact  and it has already happened 2x that we know of, then he is essentially at risk every game ROS for the injury to recur and they pull him to avoid further damage 🤔

3 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

This sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into starting him even though you know it won't turn out well.

The Vikings SHOULD sit Cook because he's not healthy and is going to be ineffective.

They lose nothing starting Mattison who will destroy the Lions defense.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

The Vikings SHOULD sit Cook because he's not healthy and is going to be ineffective.

Right. I kno cook is awesome but Wouldnt a 100% healthy mattison be more useful and better than a 70% healthy cook?

• Like 1

I was at that game last night. He was down a loooooong time. You could hear him screaming in pain. Considering it’s here in Seattle, you can imagine how loud it had to be 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Right. I kno cook is awesome but Wouldnt a 100% healthy mattison be more useful and better than a 70% healthy cook?

Not to mention as a Viking fan I would prefer Cook be as close to 100% as possible again at some point this year, especially if playoffs are in the cards. Would want to avoid a Conner situation at all costs. Does no one any good to gut it out and prolong the healing, especially against the lions. 

47 minutes ago, ss3walkman said:

I was at that game last night. He was down a loooooong time. You could hear him screaming in pain. Considering it’s here in Seattle, you can imagine how loud it had to be 

Right, as they were panning away and going to commercials, they showed about 10 seconds of him sobbing. Keep the long term goal in mind and get him healthy. We have a very talented backup, lean on him for a game or two is needed. 

Would be extremely dumb for them to play him this week. Very winnable game and Mattison is a very capable backup. I know it's not the same injury but it's about as close as you could get, and we all saw what happened with Conner. He came back too soon, looked fine, took a normal hit in just the wrong spot, and it shelved him for weeks. Vikings would be fools to risk that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raidaz18 said:

This sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into starting him even though you know it won't turn out well.

No. Not at all. My point was very clear if you had kept reading...and it has nothing to do with personal fantasy motives:

5 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

Edited by UVA_Drew

34 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Dear Vikings,

Cook should sit.

Signed,

Adam Thielen's hamstring

Seconded! -Dalvin Cook’s hamstring

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is getting out of hand with all the theories about him not playing. He's totally going to play. They lost the last game making this a MUST WIN. He said he's playing, and I really don't see there being any chance he doesn't play. At worst Mattison might get a few extra reps.

• Haha 1

I own him. I hope they sit him. Given the quality of opponent (NOT an "easy" win but certainly a more winnable game than against the Ravens or something) and the fact that Mattison has been a more than capable backup it seems to make sense. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they played him given the "must win" nature of all their games from here on out. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was hit in the same place again and ended up missing most of the game again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yossarian said:

I own him. I hope they sit him. Given the quality of opponent (NOT an "easy" win but certainly a more winnable game than against the Ravens or something) and the fact that Mattison has been a more than capable backup it seems to make sense. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they played him given the "must win" nature of all their games from here on out. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was hit in the same place again and ended up missing most of the game again. 

No offense... but it seems like a bunch of girls that wish they can dance. 

Shouldn’t you just start him without qs.