dylanj

Dalvin Cook 2019 Outlook

This thread is comical.... no one will know anything at all until he gets through some practices and after the game this week.   As another poster said it is less than an ideal situation and you almost wish he gets ruled out completely.   He may play.. take one hit in that location and the coach may pull him.  He may play and be put in a time share with Mattison.... he may play the full 20 plus snaps and have no issues.   It is crap timing for Dalvin owners.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jags02 said:

This thread is getting out of hand with all the theories about him not playing. He's totally going to play. They lost the last game making this a MUST WIN. He said he's playing, and I really don't see there being any chance he doesn't play. At worst Mattison might get a few extra reps.

Nope, at worst Dalvin will start, get injured on his first carry and fumble.

It's all idle speculation at this point, hopefully it will be clearer by Friday.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Nope, at worst Dalvin will start, get injured on his first carry and fumble.

It's all idle speculation at this point, hopefully it will be clearer by Friday.

That's just it. There's no need for all this idle speculation. The HC said it's minor, and then Dalvin said it's nothing and he's definitely playing. Case closed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From what the coaches and Dalvin himself is saying, he will play. However, I'd guess the Vikings get up early by halftime and Dalvin sits the second half. You have to play him, but it's not an ideal situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eck27 said:

From what the coaches and Dalvin himself is saying, he will play. However, I'd guess the Vikings get up early by halftime and Dalvin sits the second half. You have to play him, but it's not an ideal situation. 

I really don't like this situation and I own Mattison as well.  One hit and Cook is sidelined again, or they decided to rest him the second half "as a precaution" again.  Watch him be limited all week and we won't know until he takes his first couple hits in the game.

There's a case to be made you start both guys here. I expect Mattison will get enough touches against the Lions (who should get blown out) to be a flex on his own regardless of Cook. 

• Haha 1

I am not sure how much practice reports will really tell us. Being an upper body injury, getting in a full week of limited practices should be no surprise, but it does little for owners to really decipher the severity of the injury. 

Nobody will really know until that shoulder absorbs first contact-- whether that is this Sunday or not. 

2 hours ago, Jags02 said:

That's just it. There's no need for all this idle speculation. The HC said it's minor, and then Dalvin said it's nothing and he's definitely playing. Case closed.

I wish everything was this simple but it is not. People lie all of the time especially coaches. 

• Like 2

He might be "fine" but that doesn't mean they won't be cautious with him. There's zero incentive for the Vikings to play Cook once they get a lead. I'm guessing 10-12 touches in the first half and Mattison finishes the game. 

I hate that defenders will be swiping at his arm after he fumbled twice last week. Don’t they make shields or chest protectors? Is 2020 for Christ sakes!

“With Dalvin Cook’s shoulder injury, #Vikings will see how week goes before setting plan for Sunday vs Lions, per Mike Zimmer. They’ve got a very capable backup in Mattison, who could take on a bigger role as Cook is expected to play through it. Cook will manage it in practices.” Andrew Krammer 1:13pm

Dalvin Cook (shoulder) reiterated he will play Week 14 against the Lions.

Doctors have informed Cook there is no chance of further injury to his shoulder; it's merely a pain tolerance issue. Cook should handle close to his normal workload against Detroit with the Vikings implied to score a week-high 28 points as major home favorites. Alexander Mattison could mix in for 8-12 touches to give Cook more of a breather

i will start Mattison and not look back ... first week of playoffs, can't count on a full gig from Dalvin. 

tough call, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do - i want the biggest slice of that pie, and i believe it's Mattison's this Sunday. 

34 minutes ago, nb009 said:

I hate that defenders will be swiping at his arm after he fumbled twice last week. Don’t they make shields or chest protectors? Is 2020 for Christ sakes!

It's his shoulder/clavicle, no?

For sure.  Just like in boxing, if you know your opponent has a cracked left rib, you keep throwing those body blows to the left side until the guy goes down.  I don't see why defenders won't be keying on his shoulder.  It's a brutal game for gladiators. 

I think there might be the risk of a James Conner situation where he gets popped once big time and then he's out for the game.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Eck27 said:

Yeah, I think you have to hope for something like 60 total yards, 3 catches, and a TD in the first half.

Cook will be active come Sunday and will practice in some form this week. When it comes down to Sunday, teams will have to decide on their fates by gambling. If cook plays, he is going to play the whole game. It will also, be a great indicator on his pain tolerance and management going forward. They say there isn more that he could do to injure it and that I don't believe. 

• Haha 2

It seems like Cook/Mattison owners are in a non-win situation. I for one have no idea 💡 do I start one, both or neither. Good luck and honestly I believe nobody knows what is going to happen. 

• Like 2

I hate this. Cook is on the Fantasy MVP voting list this season, that's how amazing he's been. And now we don't know what to expect in a dream matchup...

I will debate starting him AND Mattison together all week and hate myself for it. Ugh.

Well unless you have someone playing Thursday night that you're debating starting, we just have to wait and see if we can get some clarity Sunday morning.

Hopefully the team tells us whether Cook is starting at that point or not. It's too early to make decisions. He could aggravate his shoulder in practice for all we know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

It seems like Cook/Mattison owners are in a non-win situation. I for one have no idea 💡 do I start one, both or neither. Good luck and honestly I believe nobody knows what is going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, RyanK said:

I hate this. Cook is on the Fantasy MVP voting list this season, that's how amazing he's been. And now we don't know what to expect in a dream matchup...

I will debate starting him AND Mattison together all week and hate myself for it. Ugh.

did you all not see this?

13 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

ya know how we always say "coachspeak" to describe a situation that they are making out to be better than it is?

this is far from that ... this sounds like a coach who knows his guy is not playing this week ...

that's how i see it 

• Like 3