dylanj

Dalvin Cook 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, LongBalls said:

Put your foot down Zimmer. Tell the guy to get healthy. 

seems legit ... it worked wif Thielen, no?

🤠

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

seems legit ... it worked wif Thielen, no?

🤠

This actually makes me think they will be conservative after they learned their lesson from Theilen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yanksman said:

This actually makes me think they will be conservative after they learned their lesson from Theilen

no doubt ... they will heavily err on the side of caution

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

did you all not see this?

ya know how we always say "coachspeak" to describe a situation that they are making out to be better than it is?

this is far from that ... this sounds like a coach who knows his guy is not playing this week ...

that's how i see it 

Exactly- hedging on a player's status more often than not means "they're out".

As a Mattison owner, I hope they're stubborn and play Cook this weekend. It's just a shoulder injury Dalvin, you have two of them, just use the other one ;))))))

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

13 point favorites, I think they sit him.  

No guarantee in this league though. They were double digit favorites vs Denver and barely won. This isn't Ohio State vs say Northern Arizona where its an obvious win.

I’ll be in minority here

sit him for what reason exactly ?

it is what it is...some pain

a week of not playing - is the pain gonna be gone for following week? Then he gets dinged again  the right way and out again??

The way I see it, just play homie...tape it up, med it up

1 minute ago, ninersdd said:

No guarantee in this league though. They were double digit favorites vs Denver and barely won. This isn't Ohio State vs say Northern Arizona where its an obvious win.

Sure, but we are kidding ourselves that if this was Green Bay they may force it instead of Detroit.  If they lose this game it isn't because Cook didn't play, it is some other reason like the defense laying an egg.  

1 minute ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

I’ll be in minority here

a week of not playing - is the pain gonna be gone for following week? Then he gets dinged again  the right way and out again??

So why sit him for precautionary reasons in the SEA game? This situation has made little sense thus far. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

I’ll be in minority here

go treat yerself to a replay of the Brownies/Stillers Thursday night game from a couple weeks back ... watch Conner ... report back. 

TIA

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

So why sit him for precautionary reasons in the SEA game? This situation has made little sense thus far. 

They didn’t have 6 days to have real doctors assess if there was actual damage and risk of reinjury or not. They had less than an hour.

Edited by Ruut6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

a week of not playing - is the pain gonna be gone for following week?

I’m no doctor and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn express last night, but I’m  pretty sure how how the body works is healing happens with time and rest. So yes, that’s exactly how it works. 

Not saying the pain will be gone with one week of rest, but it should be less and risk of reaggravating/worsening lower.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

They didn’t have 6 days to have real doctors assess if there was actual damage and risk of reinjury or not. They had less than an hour.

They actually had two weeks to assess it since he got hurt in the Denver game.

14 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

I think a point can be made that him playing actually hurts them. He can run more tentative or fumble (like he did on Monday) due to the injury.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

I would buy that theory but everyone was so quick to downplay his injury before any diagnostic tests could even be done. As far as I am aware, they have not done any imaging tests this week though I could be wrong. How did they come to the conclusion that no further injury was possible and it was only a pain management issue? 

3 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

go treat yerself to a replay of the Brownies/Stillers Thursday night game from a couple weeks back ... watch Conner ... report back. 

TIA

Different scenario for many reasons:

- The Steelers *needed* Conner as the focal point of their offense, because they have a bunch of bums behind him. They had every reason to fudge the injury report and force Conner out there for the Browns game. The Vikings have a capable backup in Mattison, meaning that if Cook is active, it's because he's healthy and not because he was forced at gunpoint.

- The Vikings can, if needed, ask Cousins to pass a bit more, in the event that Mattison is ineffective in a starter's role. Cousins isn't a bum like Rudolph or Duck Hodges who can't throw past the line of scrimmage. This was another reason Conner was rushed back.

- The Steelers were/are in much more desperate shape for a playoff spot. The Vikings are comparatively in pretty good shape and therefore have less reason to view each game as a back-against-the-wall, win-at-all-costs scenario.

I think they probably should rest Cook to let him heal up before a playoff run, but no NFL game is a freebie and both the team and player will want Cook as the starter if he's able. In the event we see Cook out there, I think it will mean he's much healthier than Conner was vs. the Browns, and therefore he'll be safe to start. Conversely, if Mattison is not named the starter, I'm skeptical he'll get much more run than normal and I think he becomes a riskier flex play than the expert rankings will acknowledge.

• Thanks 1

I just hope there's more clarity, one way or the other, by week 15. I'm happy that I don't need him this week (bye), and sympathize with those of you going back and forth.

My gut says he plays, and has a pretty good game this week. He was angry about the fumble in the Seattle game, and will be running hard in this one.

6 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

I would buy that theory but everyone was so quick to downplay his injury before any diagnostic tests could even be done. As far as I am aware, they have not done any imaging tests this week though I could be wrong. How did they come to the conclusion that no further injury was possible and it was only a pain management issue? 

Anyone who’s ever injured anything knows what I put in bold above makes no sense. It’s utter nonsense to say no further injury is possible.

This all stinks of gamesmanship, and they already know he’s out, but don’t want to tip their hand. 

Edited by RandyShackleford
  • Like 1

Just now, eg4190 said:

Different scenario for many reasons:

- The Steelers *needed* Conner as the focal point of their offense, because they have a bunch of bums behind him. They had every reason to fudge the injury report and force Conner out there for the Browns game. The Vikings have a capable backup in Mattison, meaning that if Cook is active, it's because he's healthy and not because he was forced at gunpoint.

- The Vikings can, if needed, ask Cousins to pass a bit more, in the event that Mattison is ineffective in a starter's role. Cousins isn't a bum like Rudolph or Duck Hodges who can't throw past the line of scrimmage. This was another reason Conner was rushed back.

- The Steelers were/are in much more desperate shape for a playoff spot. The Vikings are comparatively in pretty good shape and therefore have less reason to view each game as a back-against-the-wall, win-at-all-costs scenario.

I think they probably should rest Cook to let him heal up before a playoff run, but no NFL game is a freebie and both the team and player will want Cook as the starter if he's able. In the event we see Cook out there, I think it will mean he's much healthier than Conner was vs. the Browns, and therefore he'll be safe to start. Conversely, if Mattison is not named the starter, I'm skeptical he'll get much more run than normal and I think he becomes a riskier flex play than the expert rankings will acknowledge.

well played - great work there, solid 👍 

i still think Cook sits, and, even if he's active, i will start Mattison over him. 

best to us all ✌

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyShackleford said:

Anyone who’s ever injured anything knows what I put in bold above makes no sense. This all stinks of gamesmanship, and they already know he’s out, but don’t want to tip their hand. 

This has been my belief though he very well could play. It has been an odd situation so nothing would surprise me at this point. 

58 minutes ago, Bingo Bandanas said:

I just hope there's more clarity, one way or the other, by week 15. I'm happy that I don't need him this week (bye), and sympathize with those of you going back and forth.

My gut says he plays, and has a pretty good game this week. He was angry about the fumble in the Seattle game, and will be running hard in this one.

If he runs hard into a helmet in the chest no amount of talk will prevent his body from giving that ball up and forcing him to the ground once again.

• Like 2