dylanj

Dalvin Cook 2019 Outlook

He's one of my "gut" guys this year in drafts. Just feel like he's going to win people leagues. Top-5 upside and you can get him at a good price in drafts currently. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

He's one of my "gut" guys this year in drafts. Just feel like he's going to win people leagues. Top-5 upside and you can get him at a good price in drafts currently. 

That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking too. Just think last year's injury issues were kind of a carry over from his ACL injury, and two years removed from that he should be 100%.

I also think he'll be motivated to show everyone what he's capable of doing in a full campaign.He's knows if he fails to stay healthy and produce this season there's a new guy (Mattison) waiting in the wings behind him ready to take the job and run with it (pun intended)

How many more years does he have on his rookie contract anyway, 2 (this year and next)? He's gonna ball out for that next contract so he can "get paid" as they like to say. 

Yes indeed. The more I think about it, the more I'm diggin' me some Dalvin Cook this season. High risk, but also a very high reward IMHO. 

• Like 3

Been saying it for weeks. This guy has more league winning potential after the top 4 guys than any other RB. His combination of work in the passing game, unproven competition behind him, projected workload, scheme/surrounding talent, and of course his own talent, is unmatched by all of the other backs in (and slightly above) his tier (Bell, DJ, Mixon, Chubb, D Williams, Conner, Gurley). He's an easy pick for me in the early 2nd if available, coupled with an elite WR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Been saying it for weeks. This guy has more league winning potential after the top 4 guys than any other RB. His combination of work in the passing game, unproven competition behind him, projected workload, scheme/surrounding talent, and of course his own talent, is unmatched by all of the other backs in (and slightly above) his tier (Bell, DJ, Mixon, Chubb, D Williams, Conner, Gurley). He's an easy pick for me in the early 2nd if available, coupled with an elite WR.

I hope y'all are right.  But for this season only, I would not rank Cook over any of the above...just after though, so about RB12 with clean health

1 minute ago, EWV1 said:

I hope y'all are right.  But for this season only, I would not rank Cook over any of the above...just after though, so about RB12 with clean health

That is not to say I would confidently take him over all of the RB's I named. I think Bell and Conner are both safer picks, and obviously if Gurley is Gurley then he blows everyone out of the water, but I just think he has the perfect storm of positivity going into the year with all of the factors I named.

Work in the passing game (omits Chubb), unproven comp behind (omits Williams, Mixon, Chubb again, Conner), workload (omits Gurley), scheme/surrounding talent (omits Bell, DJ, Mixon), and his own talent (Williams). He's the only one that checks all of the boxes in my opinion. 

Really scary pick tbh, the health risk is the only one im worried about

• Like 3

At his current cost I can not own him. He did nothing last year when healthy unless he was injured all year while playing and then why was he even seeing the field when lat murray produced when lat murray had games when no cook was around. Just food for thought. 

• Like 1

I think he did play injured last year because that's what he does. FSU grad here and watching him at FSU he would play injured even if it meant being less effective or risking a more serious problem. Now, injured is different than hurt. Hurt is broken, injured is more of a pain thing that could turn to hurt if one continues to play. I remember watching him at FSU and he would strain his hammy and they would work on him on the sidelines and put him back in the game.

When truly healthy he is a great RB that can do it all but he was oft injured in college and the trend seems to continue. Love the guy since he is an FSU alum, but if you do draft him draft his handcuff for sure.

thanks for the input blazer but I rather jus take the cuff and pass on him at his cost to own. If he were going like with a 50 to 60 pick I could see the value but top 24 I need a surefire top 10 wr or rb that will stay healthy all year or a Te that gets me 1100 to 1300 yards. Cook should be going around where chris carson is going imo. 

Huge risk, huge reward. At his current cost he could sink your season. I will be happy to let someone else draft him in the 2nd.

Any RB in a Kubiak offense is interesting to me, especially when they have a good defense too. Worrying about him getting injured is drafting from fear, and I’d rather go down taking my swings. Last year I was told McCaffrey couldn’t handle a heavy workload or run between the tackles. I didn’t listen.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, isuckatdfs said:

thanks for the input blazer but I rather jus take the cuff and pass on him at his cost to own. If he were going like with a 50 to 60 pick I could see the value but top 24 I need a surefire top 10 wr or rb that will stay healthy all year or a Te that gets me 1100 to 1300 yards. Cook should be going around where chris carson is going imo. 

I have to disagree with that, I’m sorry. That entire group of backs is guys who have big question marks but could produce. Cook has one, and its health. If he plays 14+ games he’s easily a top 10 back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fierylady said:

Any RB in a Kubiak offense is interesting to me, especially when they have a good defense too. Worrying about him getting injured is drafting from fear, and I’d rather go down taking my swings. Last year I was told McCaffrey couldn’t handle a heavy workload or run between the tackles. I didn’t listen.

Last year I went down swinging with both Cook and Fournette as my top picks, because I liked their ceilings. Personally I won't be doing that again. 

I'm sure because of this they'll both be awesome this year, though. I'm just much more weary of oft-injured players now, especially in early rounds. You can call it fear, but fear is also our natural instincts helping us not die. 

• Like 3

Due for a run of health or perpetually injury prone?   

You decide.... 

Agree with top 10 potential.   

12 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Last year I went down swinging with both Cook and Fournette as my top picks, because I liked their ceilings. Personally I won't be doing that again. 

I'm sure because of this they'll both be awesome this year, though. I'm just much more weary of oft-injured players now, especially in early rounds. You can call it fear, but fear is also our natural instincts helping us not die. 

See, in my mind Fournette is more injury prone whereas I think Cook has just been kinda unlucky. Plus Fournette has all the suspensions due to his on and off the field issues where he just does dumb sh!t. 

I'm much more willing to take my chances with Cook (in the 3rd round). Having owned Fournette for the last two years, he'd have to fall pretty far before I'd even consider him (and he won't). So, he'll have to be someone else's headache this season.  

• Like 2

I think if you go with a guy like cook, you almost have to go rb heavy and must absolutely grab Mattison

14 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

I think if you go with a guy like cook, you almost have to go rb heavy and must absolutely grab Mattison

IF he’s the cuff.    They signed D Henderson too.   He was electric here in Denver during preseason.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Ha, fair enough.

I dodged Cook last year cause I never trust a RB his first year back from an ACL injury (see Guice this year). Yeah, it cost me a chance at Adrian Peterson one year but it’s served me in good stead for the most part. 

Conversely, I love looking at guys two years removed from torn ACLs; their value is typically bottomed out from struggling during their first year back and everyone seems to forget, en masse, the talent that made them hype-able in the first place. With Cook, add in the Minny D, the professed desire to sort out the run game, Kubiak, and a real lack of threats to his snap count, and he’s very high for me this year. Sure, he might get hurt. He plays RB in the NFL, they all might get hurt.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

IF he’s the cuff.    They signed D Henderson too.   He was electric here in Denver during preseason.    

It is certainly possible, shoot, even Boone has a chance too--prob a greater one being that he is more familiar there. Still, after hearing all the positive stuff that the staff is saying about Mattison and the draft capital, he has to be the favorite here.

19 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It is certainly possible, shoot, even Boone has a chance too--prob a greater one being that he is more familiar there. Still, after hearing all the positive stuff that the staff is saying about Mattison and the draft capital, he has to be the favorite here.

I think that if Cook goes down, it will likely be a committee of Mattison and Boone.  I like their recent signing, De'Angelo Henderson, but I think that he is likely a distant 4th in the pecking order right now.

Edited by sjm76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fierylady said:

Ha, fair enough.

I dodged Cook last year cause I never trust a RB his first year back from an ACL injury (see Guice this year). Yeah, it cost me a chance at Adrian Peterson one year but it’s served me in good stead for the most part. 

Conversely, I love looking at guys two years removed from torn ACLs; their value is typically bottomed out from struggling during their first year back and everyone seems to forget, en masse, the talent that made them hype-able in the first place. With Cook, add in the Minny D, the professed desire to sort out the run game, Kubiak, and a real lack of threats to his snap count, and he’s very high for me this year. Sure, he might get hurt. He plays RB in the NFL, they all might get hurt.

This guy gets it. 

Badda book badda boom.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2019 at 12:00 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Eh. He was exceptional in college and burst onto the pro scene before getting his legs destroyed. 

If he stays healthy this year, I'm expecting big things. At his draft cost its hard to justify tho cause you're drafting him next to proven commodities. It's tough to win a fantasy championship with upside until upside finally becomes reality (if ever). 

I agree! I go for the safe, cream of the crop, done it before guy's in the first couple rounds. I've learned my lesson the hard way picking guy's like Jeremy Hill, Jay Ajayi, CJ spiller etc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fierylady said:

Ha, fair enough.

I agree with everything you said here. It appears, however, that more people are onto the potential of Cook than you think. He's going early second in my drafts in a situation where I can't see him going much higher based on the players in front of him.

4 minutes ago, mongidig said:

I agree with everything you said here. It appears, however, that more people are onto the potential of Cook than you think. He's going early second in my drafts in a situation where I can't see him going much higher based on the players in front of him.

Yeah more and more people seem to be focusing on the positives over the negatives of late. Saying that, I would still consider anything up to the late first to be value as I expect him to return top 4 overall production (with the caveat, of course, that he stays injury-free - the same caveat we would place on every single player in the whole of fantasy football). It’s not as satisfying paying the higher price, but I think it’s still value.

How good is the Minny O line? I love what he can do when healthy and that he doesn't appear to have anyone pushing for his job. I'm liking him over Conner, Gurley, Mixon so most likely will take him at pick 11 or 14