parrothead

Los Angeles Angels 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Angels have been pretty active this off-season though with mid-level short term moves like Jon Lucroy, Matt Lecroy and Justin Bour.  

From a fantasy standpoint, I guess the questions I have going in:

* How do At-Bats and Playing Time among the DH-1B trio of Bour, Pujols and Ohtani get divided up?  I like Bour as a cheap power source, but just wonder if he will get near full time at bats?

* Who is closing?  Seems to be an annual question mark since what?  K Rod or Troy Percival...

11 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Thought Buttery had first dibs this year.

Wasn't a dominate RP last year is his 16 appearances, 1 loss, 4 saves, small sample size,

16.1 IP, 15 hits, 5 BB, 20 K's, whip 1.22, and his ERA was 3.31. I like him, I own him, hope he

can nail down the job in spring training , and get off to a good start in April and May, if he

does, he could be a solid contributor save and K wise. Needs to lower his whip and ERA.

Health is the real big question, if we are healthy i can see us being a wildcard team. Personally i think Harvey and Canning are going to be the dark horse, with our Bp. Not expecting Harvey to be a number 1, but i hopefully see him making 25-30 starts  with a ERA around 3.75-3.90. and the same with Canning. Now the Bp has some potential with the power stuff, We could have Robles-Anderson-Buttery- Allen, while Middlton and Jc will be back and than Meyer if healthy, will be in a Bp role.    

• Like 2

I think us Angel fans need to take initiative:

Lets boo the crap out of Pujols every at bat in a hopeless attempt to shame him into retiring.

2 hours ago, TheK1d said:

Health is the real big question, if we are healthy i can see us being a wildcard team.

Really?  How?  Aside for Trout and a very streaky Upton -- and Upton has patellar tendinitis now -- and an average Simmons; their line-up couldn't hurt a fly.  And they have one of the worst rotations in baseball.

Given one of the Red Sox/Yankees will end up with one of the two wild cards that leaves just one more.  Tampa Bay has vastly improved so they are the odds on favorite going in to snatch the other wild card. 

Toronto, Minnesota and Oakland are probably the outlier dark horses given Seattle's fire sale and Texas doing nothing to improve and the rest of the AL Central still in massive rebuild mode though KC's speed will be fun to watch.  And then there is Baltimore who is competing with the Marlins for the ultimate cellar prize.

3 hours ago, TheK1d said:

Health is the real big question, if we are healthy i can see us being a wildcard team. Personally i think Harvey and Canning are going to be the dark horse, with our Bp. Not expecting Harvey to be a number 1, but i hopefully see him making 25-30 starts  with a ERA around 3.75-3.90. and the same with Canning. Now the Bp has some potential with the power stuff, We could have Robles-Anderson-Buttery- Allen, while Middlton and Jc will be back and than Meyer if healthy, will be in a Bp role.    

Your seriously counting on Matt Harvey and Griffin Canning to lead the Angels to a WC berth?

• Like 1

So, with the Justin Upton injury news, I made the mistake of pulling up Roster Resource to see who his replacement would be.  I knew Maybin's not there anymore, and haven't heard Eric Young, Jr.'s name mentioned recently, so I just wanted to see who's in line for some PT in the Angels OF alongside Trout and Calhoun.  Y'all might want to mix a stiff drink and sit down for this one:

image.png.0a7fc7b74735f6b59e6f1d9a659b9093.png

This can't be real, can it?  Peter Bourjos is not only still in the Majors but is the frontrunner for the Angels' 4th OF spot, and therefore could be an everyday regular if Upton misses time?

This is the organization Mike Trout looked at and decided would do the necessary things to compete in the coming years?

9 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

So, with the Justin Upton injury news, I made the mistake of pulling up Roster Resource to see who his replacement would be.  I knew Maybin's not there anymore, and haven't heard Eric Young, Jr.'s name mentioned recently, so I just wanted to see who's in line for some PT in the Angels OF alongside Trout and Calhoun.  Y'all might want to mix a stiff drink and sit down for this one:

image.png.0a7fc7b74735f6b59e6f1d9a659b9093.png

This can't be real, can it?  Peter Bourjos is not only still in the Majors but is the frontrunner for the Angels' 4th OF spot, and therefore could be an everyday regular if Upton misses time?

This is the organization Mike Trout looked at and decided would do the necessary things to compete in the coming years?

Take a look at their farm system. They have talent there that’s not far away. They went from being last place in the farm rankings and are now in the top 12. They signed Ohtani. They have essentially been rebuilding the farm while still trying to compete with one year signings to not ruin their future. This year wasn’t the year they were going to seriously compete. I would watch out for them starting in 2021 and see if you still feel this way.

I bet you’re a Phillies fan. When is the last time they even made the playoffs?? Angels made it more recently than them.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Take a look at their farm system. They have talent there that’s not far away. They went from being last place in the farm rankings and are now in the top 12. They signed Ohtani. They have essentially been rebuilding the farm while still trying to compete with one year signings to not ruin their future. This year wasn’t the year they were going to seriously compete. I would watch out for them starting in 2021 and see if you still feel this way. 

I'm with you about the farm system looking nice these days, but it's a disservice to the current players to not even put half-decent spare parts around them in the off chance that they catch lightning in a bottle.  They're not so far away with what they have that they can't contend in a year when so many AL teams are phoning it in if they bothered to put some better players around the current core.

16 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I bet you’re a Phillies fan. When is the last time they even made the playoffs?? Angels made it more recently than them.

This is a total non-sequitur and a tangent that has nothing to do with the Angels, so I won't be responding to it here.  If you really want to try to make this about my fandom, you can do so over PM.

24 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I'm with you about the farm system looking nice these days, but it's a disservice to the current players to not even put half-decent spare parts around them in the off chance that they catch lightning in a bottle.  They're not so far away with what they have that they can't contend in a year when so many AL teams are phoning it in if they bothered to put some better players around the current core.

This is a total non-sequitur and a tangent that has nothing to do with the Angels, so I won't be responding to it here.  If you really want to try to make this about my fandom, you can do so over PM.

Fair enough. Good spare parts cost money. Like I said, they are still rebuilding and also trying to not add to their payroll for players they don't see as part of the future. For this team to be good this year, they're going to have to catch a lot of lightning. If Bourjos is bad, they have David Fletcher. They also have Hermosillo and Puello. Upton is not someone that is easily replaceable regardless, so there will be a drop off in production. Hopefully it's not long term for them.

I agree they can contend in a year as well, but said 2021 to stay on the safe side. I think that's a more realistic time line.

And as for your comment "This is the organization Mike Trout looked at and decided would do the necessary things to compete in the coming years?". That just screams to me Phillies fan because of all the east coast talk and Bryce Harper tampering. You're insulting the organization for Trout signing with them next 12 years. What has happened since Trout has been an Angel and what will happen this specific year plays a very small role in how Mike Trout feels the organization will do in the next 11 years after this one. Obviously, he likes the direction of where the team is going, or else he wouldn't have signed. 

It's not his fault Dipoto set the team back years. He's doing the same thing with the Mariners now. Eppler has to clean up his mess and he's doing a great job so far.

• Like 2

btw, in my opinion, the best guy to bring up would be Jared Walsh, but I don't think that's what's going to happen.

He can hit and play a corner OF.  He's a good defensive 1bman for late game replacement.

Any Angels fans got any opinions on former GM Jerry Dipito?  As you all know he’s now the GM of inner division laughingstock, the Seattle Mariners.  I’ve been having debates with my fellow homer Mariner fans who think this guy needs 3+ more seasons to be judged.  Looking back on his moves with the Mariners so far and all the quality prospects he’s given away for free, it looks like he operated similarly for the Angels?  Doesn’t seem like the kind of guy you’d want in charge of your rebuild.  

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Any Angels fans got any opinions on former GM Jerry Dipito?  As you all know he’s now the GM of inner division laughingstock, the Seattle Mariners.  I’ve been having debates with my fellow homer Mariner fans who think this guy needs 3+ more seasons to be judged.  Looking back on his moves with the Mariners so far and all the quality prospects he’s given away for free, it looks like he operated similarly for the Angels?  Doesn’t seem like the kind of guy you’d want in charge of your rebuild.  

He’s flat out garbage. He ruins farms and spends a ton of money for teams that have short windows to win, but they still aren’t good enough to win it all. The mariners will take a long time to recover from what he’s done. 

Eppler is still picking up the pieces to the mess he created.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He’s flat out garbage. He ruins farms and spends a ton of money for teams that have short windows to win, but they still aren’t good enough to win it all. The mariners will take a long time to recover from what he’s done. 

Eppler is still picking up the pieces to the mess he created.

Haha my thoughts exactly.  I was baffled at how many defenders he has.  In this day and age of baseball you don’t often see a GM get a chance to empty the farm to win, fail at it, then get a chance to build it back.  Only in Seattle.  The bar for that loser franchise is so low they’ll probably redefine the logic of how long to give failure GM’s before moving on. 

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

I wanted to like Dipoto when he first got the Angels gig. He's a very good talker and says all the right things that give fans hope. It gave me hope after the disastrous Tony Reagins era. In the end though, his drafts were very poor, their international presence was non-existent, and their FA signings and trades were a disaster. By the time he left, the Angels had one of the worst farm systems in years and a bloated payroll littered with overpaid veterans with little production to show for it.

Eppler has had to navigate over the last few years of not going full on rebuild - you can't really do that with Trout on the roster - and basically just trying to tread water until the MLB roster was flushed from all those bad contracts(Pujols notwithstanding). Only now have the Angels finally seen some help from their farm reach the bigs, with their prized prospect Jo Adell on the cusp, and their payroll situation is in good shape heading into 2020 and beyond. That said, this is a big offseason for Eppler's tenure as well. 2020 is the year where the team needs to finally make that jump into legit playoff contender.  Adding more SP will obviously be the main priority, and I'm hopeful that they make Gerrit Cole their main target. A rotation with Ohtani/Cole/Canning is pretty strong, with Heaney and whatever else filing out the backend of the group.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

I wanted to like Dipoto when he first got the Angels gig. He's a very good talker and says all the right things that give fans hope. It gave me hope after the disastrous Tony Reagins era. In the end though, his drafts were very poor, their international presence was non-existent, and their FA signings and trades were a disaster. By the time he left, the Angels had one of the worst farm systems in years and a bloated payroll littered with overpaid veterans with little production to show for it.

Eppler has had to navigate over the last few years of not going full on rebuild - you can't really do that with Trout on the roster - and basically just trying to tread water until the MLB roster was flushed from all those bad contracts(Pujols notwithstanding). Only now have the Angels finally seen some help from their farm reach the bigs, with their prized prospect Jo Adell on the cusp, and their payroll situation is in good shape heading into 2020 and beyond. That said, this is a big offseason for Eppler's tenure as well. 2020 is the year where the team needs to finally make that jump into legit playoff contender.  Adding more SP will obviously be the main priority, and I'm hopeful that they make Gerrit Cole their main target. A rotation with Ohtani/Cole/Canning is pretty strong, with Heaney and whatever else filing out the backend of the group.

Angelswin.com right? Haha

• Like 1

Dipotto is the type of GM who’s bases his success on how many moves he can make. At times it felt as if he made moves to simply make moves.  Nothing has changed with his time in Seattle. He’s a flip artist and a complete drain on a clubs farm system. However he was able to re-acquire Skaggs from Arizona and I’m thankful for that. Eppler has far and beyond been a much more efficient GM and his relationships with the players speak volumes to his success. If not for his attention to detail and genuine character, I don’t feel the Angels could have extended Trout nor been able to land Ohtani. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Proud to be an Angels fan. Fantastic performance tonight.

I’m so thankful my wife bought me tickets for that game. It is something a damn Angel Dan I will never forget. It literally gave me chills to be witnessing it unfold first hand. The way the team handled everything was perfect and to see how the team has been there for one another has truly made me proud to be a fan of this team. 

What’s the consensus around Billy Eppler?  In year 4 of another disappointing year despite having the best player on the planet.  Offseason was arguably one of the worst you’ll ever see in your life.  Even though short team deals, but Matt Harvey, Cody Allen, Trevor Cahill, Justin Bour and Jon Lucroy.  Hideous.  I know Dipito did a number on the system so there was going to be patience needed.  But when does the patience run out?  Wasting away the best years of the worlds best player.  What’s the urgency?

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

What’s the consensus around Billy Eppler?  In year 4 of another disappointing year despite having the best player on the planet.  Offseason was arguably one of the worst you’ll ever see in your life.  Even though short team deals, but Matt Harvey, Cody Allen, Trevor Cahill, Justin Bour and Jon Lucroy.  Hideous.  I know Dipito did a number on the system so there was going to be patience needed.  But when does the patience run out?  Wasting away the best years of the worlds best player.  What’s the urgency?

The consensus with Angel fans is that he's pretty damn good. He's turned the farm system around completely. You're already seeing some of the young talent making it's way up the farm and closer to the show. He's been great at finding under the radar guys like LaStella for basically nothing. Eppler has been very limited in what he's been able to spend for the major league ball club, so he's been handing out short deals to maintain flexibility going forward. His major league deals have been pretty putrid, no doubt, but realistically, the Angels weren't in a position to seriously compete within the last 3-4 years anyway. Basically, his management of the farm, bullpen, and under the radar guys is amazing. His major league signings have been putrid, but he hasn't us crippled financially in a time we weren't goin to compete anyway. I'm giving him 2 more years and if our farm guys aren't making a good impact and he continues to sign duds in free agency, I'll probably change my stance on him. But he came into an absolutely catastrophic situation because of Dipoto and the team has actually done decently considering the circumstances and fat Pujols taking up a bulk of our money.

Ausmus was "not solely responsible" for the Angels' 72-90 record, pointing to the offseason acquisitions -- namely, Matt Harvey, Trevor Cahill, Cody Allen and Justin Bour-- who did not pan out.

lol it’s the managers fault that this dog**** GM went out and had possibly the most horrific offseason a team has ever seen.  Always laugh when teams try to scapegoat the manager.  Mike Trout can only do so much.