AF25

German Marquez 2019 Outlook

On 2/3/2019 at 5:30 AM, murraygd13 said:

Looks like he's been going in there 20-25th starter off the board.  Id have him more in the 35-40 range.  

I mean this in the most respectful way possible: how much of Marquez did you watch last year?

16 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I mean this in the most respectful way possible: how much of Marquez did you watch last year?

I don't believe it matters how much people watch. The Coors bias will ALWAYS work against Colorado pitchers, especially those who are at the beginning of their careers. If Marquez can, this year, replicate last year's June 30-September, then the bias will begin to lessen. If he can do it in 2020, as well, bias will be gone. 

The other thing that kinda irks me about guys when they talk about Marquez, is suggesting he was only really good in August and September last year. That is simply false, and I've tried to say so. His 2018 turnaround started on June 30. He had one rough start in July, but was great otherwise. Now he took things to another level in Aug-Sept, but the many was studly over his last 17 starts.

I'm a believer and a big fan, and I own Marquez in both of my keeper leagues. So if he goes down this year, I'm going down with him. LOL. 

• Like 1

Did he get dinged or something - Y! has him as DTD. In the past they've done that and then it disappeared, but other times it turns out an injury occurred no one knew about.

I cannot wait to trade this man for DeGrom straight up after he goes into Miami and throws 8 scoreless with 22 K's.

Seriously, opening day could be a freaking bloodbath given the matchup.

• Haha 1

Guy flat out DEALS and gets no love? This is the SP3 I’m most excited about.   Ok ok Marlins... but still 🤩

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, midlip said:

Guy flat out DEALS and gets no love? This is the SP3 I’m most excited about.   Ok ok Marlins... but still 🤩

His line would’ve been even more impressive had he not got himself into a two-out jam in the 6th. He did manage to strand the bases loaded though, thankfully.

3 hours ago, midlip said:

He looked quite good and just got a little tired. His breaking stuff was filthy last night. 

1 hour ago, mcbane said:

He looked quite good and just got a little tired. His breaking stuff was filthy last night. 

His stuff was pretty electric last night - watched a good chunk of that game both starters threw well.  First inning got a huge momentum swing, on 3-2 count with runner at 1st and nobody out he spiked what should of been ball 4 which would of been 1st and 2nd nobody out which could of led to big inning, instead batter chased and they gunned runner at 2nd for strike em out throw em out pitchers best friend.  

• Like 1

Obviously the Rockies are sold. Let's hope he can live up to this deal - so far so good. Looking forward to tomorrow night.

coors gonna coors...that acuna HR was cheap as hell 

45 minutes ago, midlip said:

coors gonna coors...that acuna HR was cheap as hell 

Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate that he pitches half his games there. I was watching Dansby Swanson's AB and Marquez threw an excellent pitch that should have been a K on most nights, I don't know how Swanson laid up on it but then he proceeded to put the next pitch in the stands to straightaway centre, was painful to watch.

3 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I was watching Dansby Swanson's AB and Marquez threw an excellent pitch that should have been a K on most nights, I don't know how Swanson laid up on it but then he proceeded to put the next pitch in the stands to straightaway centre, was painful to watch.

Had mixed feelings about this given I own both.  

I'm not sure what to make of this guy.  His 2nd half last year makes me optimistic, his home ballpark makes me pessimistic.  Have been trying to deal him to anyone that's really high on this guy for more of a sure thing.  

Dude just pitched a filthy complete game shut out. One hit. No walks. 9 Ks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trifecta said:

Dude just pitched a filthy complete game shut out. One hit. No walks. 9 Ks.

My bad folks. No hitter going when I checked in on him he gave up the one hit ;)

awesome stuff. Who’s starting him in Coors against the beastly Phils?

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

My bad folks. No hitter going when I checked in on him he gave up the one hit ;)

raise hand GIF by Nick Jonas

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm not.  Any week where he's only got one start and its at Coors I think you have to sit him.  Especially against the Phillies.

2 minutes ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

I'm not.  Any week where he's only got one start and its at Coors I think you have to sit him.  Especially against the Phillies.

That’s my initial feeling. 

But. Last year second half I left him in my lineup no matter what and he did great. 

Last game against Atlanta has me nervous to put him out there against Philly at home  

2 minutes ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

How are people in leagues where its remotely possible to sit a SP2/3 in any given week? German is set it and forget it in my mind... obv not ideal in home starts but he is a beast 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, midlip said:

How are people in leagues where its remotely possible to sit a SP2/3 in any given week? German is set it and forget it in my mind... obv not ideal in home starts but he is a beast 

Yeah maybe I was being a little extreme.  Coors + good offense = a sit for me.  If he was going against a more middle of the road type offense I'd probably trot him out there.

I'd roll him. Hot pitchers beat hot offenses. Happens all the time. Whenever COL plays PHI next I'd be wary depending on circumstances at that time but I would roll him until further notice.

• Like 1