AF25

German Marquez 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Better on the road lolol.  SP5

yea cuz 2 ER in line for a Win is terrible. And didn't he throw a gem last week @ LAD? Where can I sign up? You must have an awesome pitching staff.

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

yea cuz 2 ER in line for a Win is terrible. And didn't he throw a gem last week @ LAD? Where can I sign up? You must have an awesome pitching staff.

Still disappointed with today’s line in a QS league. He can turn into 2nd half German from last year anytime now...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redsfan34 said:

...He can turn into 2nd half German from last year anytime now...

How bout April German - I'd take that too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Marquez has a better WAR and XFIP than Luis Castillo.

And?

Here's a stat: #624 player overall last month.

Another: #273 for the season.

One more: #75 among SPs for the season.

Bonus: #135 among SPs last month.

These are the kind of actual, real stats that affect fantasy teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

And?

#75 among SP? What? He’s SP24 and 90 overall in my QS points league. 

Edited by tsh00k
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

He’s SP24 and 90 overall in my QS points league. 

What scoring settings are you using?

He's at 158 overall on the season and 525 overall over the past 30 days in my 12-team H2H (SV/ERA/WHIP/K/QS). SP50 on the season and SP162 over the last 30 days. 

17 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

What scoring settings are you using?

He's at 158 overall on the season and 525 overall over the past 30 days in my 12-team H2H (SV/ERA/WHIP/K/QS). SP50 on the season and SP162 over the last 30 days. 

In reality (I can hear the mods coming) none of these metrics matter. What does matter is he's NOT - affirmatively - at least in the top 50 at least, regardless of setting regardless of league. 

He looked like a potential CY candidate back in April. Now he gets roughed up by the Giants, Padres, Orioles etc.

He had a nice game v LAD, which gives me hope, but at the same time it's tough to trust him v bottom-feeder offenses.

For sure. I only asked because it appears that his value differs tremendously across league-types, and that could be skewing some of the perceptions being shared here. More accurately identifying where he is valuable can help illuminate the things he's at least doing well. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

(I can hear the mods coming)

You rang?

8 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

For sure. I only asked because it appears that his value differs tremendously across league-types, and that could be skewing some of the perceptions being shared here.

With the wide variety of formats and nearly infinite customization possibilities on most popular platforms, this is basically true of every player.  The general rule of thumb is that if someone is citing ranks without clarifying their format, they're probably talking standard 5x5.  If someone's in a points league or roto with some custom categories, it's incumbent on them to state that when making general value statements.  Otherwise we end up with these long derails about league settings that doesn't help anyone, and at some point, yeah, we do have to step in and shut that down.

But for now, let's leave it up as a teachable moment for all involved.

image.png.c7fcf38de8d79f6e4fc8331d6114d826.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any Rockies homers know if Marquez might get a second start next week before the playoff break?  Rockies are off on Monday and Thursday and Marquez pitches on Tuesday.  Rockies might want to give their best pitcher an extra start before the break.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, Dr. Strangeglove said:

Any Rockies homers know if Marquez might get a second start next week before the playoff break?  Rockies are off on Monday and Thursday and Marquez pitches on Tuesday.  Rockies might want to give their best pitcher an extra start before the break.

I think no chance

But I am benching him this week anyway with the Stros coming to town, have a bad feeling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlesHustle said:

I think no chance

But I am benching him this week anyway with the Stros coming to town, have a bad feeling

Yeah he’s an easy bench at home until he turns it around there. 

• Like 1

I'm rolling him out there in a pts league. Although, we do have negative scoring.....his era vs the stros is pretty good. 

7 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

I'm rolling him out there in a pts league. Although, we do have negative scoring.....his era vs the stros is pretty good. 

One game. At Minute Maid Park. I mean, not the most meaningful data lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RBI Sports said:

I’m in a points league (don’t have Marquez in that one) with negative scoring, but you pretty much roll out anyone with a pulse no matter what the matchup is. Because if you count points for innings and Ks, the vast majority of pitchers will trip their way into positive points unless they completely meltdown. And since it’s all about the accumulation of points and having as many scoring units everyday as you can muster, Marquez is a definite start today in points leagues. In the traditional or standard leagues (like the 5x5 in which I own him), he’s a no-doubt bench guy today. Maybe he tosses a gem, but he has earned zero trust at home this year, and I don’t need the ratio damage. 

To other points weekly league players,  the Rockies just optioned Chi Chi Rodriguez to the minor leagues.  Rodriguez was scheduled to pitch on Sunday.  It just makes sense that with the days off yesterday and Thursday that the playoff contending Rockies send out their best pitcher Marquez on Sunday on normal rest at Arizona to give him two starts for the week.  At least I hope (fingers crossed).  I'm taking the plunge. 

I guess today could have been worse, but it doesn't exactly make me want to start GM at home next time out. If he gets the start @Arz on Sunday, he's a definite start. But right now, he seems to be a start on the road, bench at home guy. I keep holding out hope that he will eventually work his way through that and put together some solid starts at home, but that hope looks bleak right now. 

On 6/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, SuperJoint said:

And?

In fairness. No one predicted a re-juiced ball event that happened this year.

Sucks, but the ROI was going to be against you by simply deciding you wanted to take a SP where he was drafted. Most Mid round SP investments have been taking the L this year. Unless you got Berrios, Morton, Castillo, Hendricks. 4 of like the 15 or so pitchers in that range.

Edited by Slatykamora

Man he used to be Scherzer-lite on the road, no matter the opponent. Now he can't even muster a QS. Not sure what to do with him. Don't want to sell low, but have no confidence in him whatsoever against anyone .

6 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Man he used to be Scherzer-lite on the road, no matter the opponent. Now he can't even muster a QS. Not sure what to do with him. Don't want to sell low, but have no confidence in him whatsoever against anyone .

In all fairness @ARI is a tough assignment these days. I expected worse than he actually did. He's still a quality pitcher - what happened today would have no bearing on hold/cut decisions for me.

He's done well enough to hold for a while still imo. He's a definite red flag, but I'm not selling yet. 

I have almost zero confidence in this guy right now. The only reason I hold is the shred of hope that he turns it around in the second half, but I just don’t see it. For all the good vibes entering the season, this dude has been a huge disappointment. I’d sell him for a box of rocks right now, but no one in my league wants him. Lol. 

I'm buying.  Improved from last season in multiple areas (SwStr%, O-Swing%, and Ground ball %), while having a worse than average strand rate of 68%.  K's down, but BB's down too, and xFIP/SIERA all point to improvement.  Perfect buy low guy.