Boudewijn

Kareem Hunt 2019 Outlook

45 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I think you probably meant to link here?

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1796492

But there's absolutely no mention of trading for Hunt, and to be honest, I can't think of any reason why they would move one problem for another, potentially bigger problem. Not even for the cap space, because they have plenty.

No, I didn’t forget to link. I was just throwing that idea at the forum out of boredom. I’m sure there are reasons why that deal doesn’t make sense, but on the surface Hunt for Clowney sounds fun. Texans get the stud RB they need, Cleveland gets scary on defense.

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Texans get the stud RB they need

For only 8 weeks. 

But in the interest of fun and combatting boredom, I would say:
david-hasselhoff-baywatch-thumbs-up-nerd

9 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

For only 8 weeks. 

But in the interest of fun and combatting boredom, I would say:
david-hasselhoff-baywatch-thumbs-up-nerd

For the final 8 weeks of 2019, but also into the playoffs. Imagine Texans offense getting a boost like Hunt mid-season. And they could sign him long term, no? Assuming he stays out of trouble, of course.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

“It sounds like a final decision on whether Hunt will even been a member of the Browns during the second half of the season hasn’t been made”

Very interesting. Perhaps Hunt is playing for another team post suspension? The idea of Hunt coming off suspension and playing for Houston, TB, etc is intriguing indeed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/28/dee-haslam-kareem-hunt-has-work-to-do-to-be-part-of-our-organization/

Last I saw, CLE was applying for an exemption that would allow Hunt to be at the team facilities during the suspension.  That doesn’t sound like something they would do for a guy they intend to send packing.

14 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Last I saw, CLE was applying for an exemption that would allow Hunt to be at the team facilities during the suspension.  That doesn’t sound like something they would do for a guy they intend to send packing.

It’s possible they’re really not sure what they’re going to do with him. Trade? Cut? Keep? In the meantime, might as well try to keep him as close to the team as possible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

It’s possible they’re really not sure what they’re going to do with him. 

I thought that was a given. 

Likely they will shop him around. Someone will pay up for that talent. (Chargers? lol)

1 hour ago, bomont said:

I thought that was a given. 

Likely they will shop him around. Someone will pay up for that talent. (Chargers? lol)

Cowboys buccaneers texans 

Cowboys? ??

Logical possibilities would seem to be Bucs, Texans, Dolphins, heck even teams like 49ers, Bills, or Redskins might give a look

Thanks didn't know. What an idiot. Even with Cooper, Elliot is still the heart of that team. If he doesn't think losing Elliot would be a huge blow he's even dumber than I thought and I thought that was not possible. Though I admit I don't know the contract specifics or situation

I really don't want to own this punk.  But he's falling to me in a ton of mocks in the 12th round.  I know everyone says DND because he's basically dead weight for 8 weeks during which time you'll need roster flexibility to navigate byes and account for injuries or to pick up the next big thing.  But if you can manage the handicap, he could turn out to be a late season boom to your team.  And certainly would be an awesome keeper pick if the Browns move him for another asset next season.

So Duke Johnson got traded.. I thought that the Browns claimed him because they wanted to bait someone into a trade. At this point I'm starting to think that they want to keep him and build a two punch headed RB monster?!?! Don't get me wrong but I can't imagine it. Kareem Hunt is clearly the best RB on this rooster. On the other hand Nick Chubb ist talented aswell... I'm kinda confused at this moment..

Edited by Mikeboy

Just now, Mikeboy said:

So Duke Johnson got traded.. I thought that the Browns claimed him because they want to bait someone into a trade. At this point I'm starting to think that they want keep him and build a two punch headed RB monster?!?! Don't get me wrong but I can't imagine it. Kareem Hunt is clearly the best RB on this rooster. On the other hand Nick Chubb ist talented aswell... I'm kinda confused at this moment..

Hunt isn’t clearly anything. He got outproduced in a major way by Damien Williams in the same role. Even Ware almost produced like Hunt when given the chance. 

Right now it looks like Hunt is the better pass catcher and Chubb the better runner. Would make a lot of sense if their future roles with the Browns reflected this rather than any traditional do it all belllcow roles.

But it is obviously all up in the air, and not much can be said definitively.

• Like 1

I just heard one of the talking heads describe the Cleveland backfield as "one of the best in league history".  Really?  Must not have been taking the 8 game suspension into account.  Must have forgotten the production that Kamara and Ingram have had.

In any case, I could see them using both Chubb and Hunt for the next year or two.  But what happens when Chubb's rookie contract is up and he wants to be paid?  I don't see them investing in two superstars at the same position.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, Mikeboy said:

So Duke Johnson got traded.. I thought that the Browns claimed him because they wanted to bait someone into a trade. At this point I'm starting to think that they want to keep him and build a two punch headed RB monster?!?! Don't get me wrong but I can't imagine it. Kareem Hunt is clearly the best RB on this rooster. On the other hand Nick Chubb ist talented aswell... I'm kinda confused at this moment..

I don't agree with that at all. I don't see Hunt "clearly" being a better RB than Chubb. 

On 8/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, Mikeboy said:

Don't get me wrong guys but they wont hold Hunt and Chubb more than this season.

I don't think Cleveland will have a choice of whether to hold Hunt or not. He'll undoubtedly want to sign with a team that will allow him to be lead back for 2020. I think the only choice Cleveland has is whether to hold him for the duration of the 2019 season or trade him. Frankly, if they have a shot at the playoffs, I think they'd be dumb to trade him. So I expect him to test the FA waters after the season and sign somewhere else. Jmho.

• Like 1

Anyone holding on to him for the first 8 weeks? I don’t think it’s worth it but I have him sitting on my bench.. burning a hole. 

I thought about drafting because of the obvious upside. But stashing for 8+ weeks, during bye weeks where i may have to roster people I wont normally (extra Defense/Kicker/WR or RB), i just figured i'd save myself the headache and not draft Hunt. 

His value will go up every week tho and I think he has potential to be a solid RB2, obviously higher if something happens to Chubb

On 8/8/2019 at 8:48 AM, elroypedro said:

Hunt isn’t clearly anything. He got outproduced in a major way by Damien Williams in the same role. Even Ware almost produced like Hunt when given the chance. 

You’re Damien Williams aren’t you? 

4 hours ago, oresteszero said:

Anyone holding on to him for the first 8 weeks? I don’t think it’s worth it but I have him sitting on my bench.. burning a hole. 

Drafted Chubb so yes...if I hadn't then no...

I think Hunt is a must-own for Chubb owners in keeper leagues for multiple reasons.

1. The starting RB for Cleveland is one of the mist highly coveted RBs in fantasy. If Chubb succumbs to injury Kareem Hunt could step right in and save your team. He’s arguably the #1 handcuff in fantasy. Even If Chubb was to have a season ending injury before Hunt is eligible to play, Hunt would likely be the workhorse from week 10 on when it matters most.

2. If Chubb stays healthy all year which is obviously a great thing for Chubb owners, Hunt could still be a viable starting option in fantasy as an RB3/flex from week 10 on. Cleveland has every reason to use Hunt and zero reason to let him ride the pine. 

By week 10, Chubb will have likely have had one of the biggest workloads among all RBs. This would be a perfect time for Hunt to step in and take some of the load off Chubb, and it accomplishes three things. a) Gives Chubb some much needed breathers. b) Adds yet another dimension for defenses to contend with on what should already be a nightmare offense c) Showcases Hunt for potential trade during the off-season. The better Hunt looks, the more likely Cleveland can get a 1st round pick in return should Hunt sign with another team as an RFA.

3.) While stashing him could be tricky at times, there’s the potential that he gets traded during that period. For example, suppose the Texans, and/or Bucs RBs simply aren’t getting it done. We could see Hunt traded to a team like that mid-season. Hunt steps in week 10 just in time to help a team make the playoffs. That team then has the option of keeping Hunt the following season, perhaps signing him long term. So you as a fantasy owner would suddenly have Chubb and a pro-bowl caliber starting workhorse RB on another playoff caliber team.

As a Chubb owner myself in a keeper league, I’m much more comfortable having Hunt on my team than not. Of course, it depends on what it costs to keep/acquire him, but if we’re talking about mid-late round value I think it’s an easy decision. Cover all your bases with a terrific insurance policy that could pay dividends in multiple ways.

2 hours ago, dfstout said:

Drafted Chubb so yes...if I hadn't then no...

I am and I don’t have Chubb. Worth a flier with how volatile the position is. I don’t wish injuries but all of these RBs aren’t going to stay healthy. If you can it is best to load up on the talented backups. 

You make some good points Lamont, but to me, the cost to “keep/acquire” him isn’t the draft capital, it’s the roster spot you burn on him the first 8 weeks with no guarantee of fantasy relevance when he comes back. And there is more potential for bad than good regarding his situation, imo. I drafted him in 2 leagues for 1-2$, but am regretting it already as the opportunity cost of holding him instead of being able to pick up someone who can contribute may end up costing me. 

4 minutes ago, nromn said:

You make some good points Lamont, but to me, the cost to “keep/acquire” him isn’t the draft capital, it’s the roster spot you burn on him the first 8 weeks with no guarantee of fantasy relevance when he comes back. And there is more potential for bad than good regarding his situation, imo. I drafted him in 2 leagues for 1-2$, but am regretting it already as the opportunity cost of holding him instead of being able to pick up someone who can contribute may end up costing me. 

It’s an easy drop if you find something better. He’s really no risk. 

• Like 1