Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

11 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Do you expect the offense to look that bad going forward?

No.  But I do expect Howard to look disappointing going forward.  For a fifth-rounder.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

My temptation to bail on all Tampa players in redraft leagues is very strong right now.

7 minutes ago, fjthegrey said:

My temptation to bail on all Tampa players in redraft leagues is very strong right now.

Know the feeling, except for Evans.  In a 12 team PPR where many teams roster 2 TEs, i am currently sitting on three, which is ridiculous:  Howard (6th rd pick), Andrews (teens pick), and Waller (waivers).  Don’t know if I can get through the weekend without dropping one, and each time I compare the 3, Howard keeps coming up on the bottom.  It’s not a question of talent, but usage, consistency, and safe floor.  Cannot doubt Howard’s raw talent, and he is bound to have big games.  Winston knows how to throw to the TE (Winston-O’leary had a great connection in college.  One week sample size is too small, but Brate has regularly vultured some red zone opportunities and eaten into Howard’s top end potential.

1 hour ago, FeastMode said:

Know the feeling, except for Evans.  In a 12 team PPR where many teams roster 2 TEs, i am currently sitting on three, which is ridiculous:  Howard (6th rd pick), Andrews (teens pick), and Waller (waivers).  Don’t know if I can get through the weekend without dropping one, and each time I compare the 3, Howard keeps coming up on the bottom.  It’s not a question of talent, but usage, consistency, and safe floor.  Cannot doubt Howard’s raw talent, and he is bound to have big games.  Winston knows how to throw to the TE (Winston-O’leary had a great connection in college.  One week sample size is too small, but Brate has regularly vultured some red zone opportunities and eaten into Howard’s top end potential.

Then why did you bother drafting him in Round 6?

This is recency bias to the extreme.

Edited by StevieStats

3 hours ago, FeastMode said:

I’m sitting in the same boat, I have the same 3, but I’m not thinking of dropping any of them just yet, might trade one, I already got a few trade offers for one. I’m going to hold, if all 3 produce this week why drop one? Make a league mate pay for it with a trade instead of letting them have one for free. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Godeep said:

I’m sitting in the same boat, I have the same 3, but I’m not thinking of dropping any of them just yet, might trade one, I already got a few trade offers for one. I’m going to hold, if all 3 produce this week why drop one? Make a league mate pay for it with a trade instead of letting them have one for free. 

One thing to note in this situation that should've been in the back of everyone's mind that was looking into OJ, is Winston has historically had a connection to Cameron Brate. We saw this come to fruition already in week one with two TD's to Brate even though they were nullfied due to penalties.You can generally count on a Baltimore TE to be reasonably productive week-to-wee, and Gruden truly seems to believe in Waller and made Cook fantasy relevant last year.

The main difference between these three is the pre-season hype - Howard was in that T2-ish grouping with Engram and Henry. This is still likely to be fresh in a lot of peoples minds and would likely yield your best return if you dish him out before another disappointing performance. I took a gamble on Howard this year as someone whose had Brate 2/3 previous seasons despite knowing the history because I do believe OJ will be a steady producer and has better chance of having a few 20+ point games than a number of other TE options. Just my 2 cents though 🙂

Edited by Shimmer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be looking to trade to the Henry owner and getting off this train if you have a solid backup. Brate isn't going anywhere and there's still Evans and Godwin to contend with. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, scheibler said:

I'd be looking to trade to the Henry owner and getting off this train if you have a solid backup. Brate isn't going anywhere and there's still Evans and Godwin to contend with. 

Agreed, the talent is there but he's 3rd on the target totem pole and nobody can deny the chemistry between Brate and Jameis

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 9amest said:

Agreed, the talent is there but he's 3rd on the target totem pole and nobody can deny the chemistry between Brate and Jameis

In the 3 games Winston started and Howard played last year he produced each and every game... He had 13 catches for 197 yards and 2 td... Lazy extrapolation that's 69-1051-11, in other words he put up high end numbers for a TE in that stretch.

He had 5 targets last week, 2nd only to Godwin's 6. 

1 hour ago, scheibler said:

This is horrible advice IMO... I get you feel that way but if someone drafted Howard they obviously liked him -- changing tune so drastically after 1 week is crazy.

Brate had 2 targets and 8 yards. The concern about him is so overblown.

Just now, StevieStats said:

This is horrible advice IMO... I get you feel that way but if someone drafted Howard they obviously liked him -- changing tune so drastically after 1 week is crazy.

keep in mind he had two touchdowns taken away by penalties..

I think part of the Howard hate is that TE isn’t the wasteland it was last year.  There lots of other options out there and lots of Howard owners are frustrated after week one and seeing greener grass on the other side.  I am still starting OJ this week but I did use my waiver priority to grab Hockenson as a back up.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I drafted him, only bc I thought he was a value. He somehow fell behind cook, Henry, Vance, Hooper, hock, walker, ebron, njoku, etc all the way until the top of the 8th. Just traded him for breida to give you an idea if his value

People need to chill out. It’s one week in and Brate was there last year as well and O.J. Was by far the top TE option. As long as he stays healthy he will be a top 6 TE. Winston may be up and down but he can chuck the ball and O.J. will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brrett said:

People need to chill out. It’s one week in and Brate was there last year as well and O.J. Was by far the top TE option. As long as he stays healthy he will be a top 6 TE. Winston may be up and down but he can chuck the ball and O.J. will be fine.

Brate was seriously injured basically all season.

27 minutes ago, abc12345 said:

Those who drafted this guy over Evan Engram made a terrible mistake.

Yep, just don't expect consistently week to week in PPR. He's going to have a few 125/2 games mixed in with duds. Depends on the matchup. 

I really hope OJ plays well tonight so all you week one whiners and “told you so’s” will shut the hell up. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Any OJ and Hockenson owners in here?  What you guys doing this week.  

I wish I also owned Hock as he looks to have great chemistry with Stafford. I'm not sure you can trust either but OJ is more proven. I can't look it up but which D gives up more points to TE and that is probably who I roll out there.