Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

What can you do with a guy like this? 

Can't drop, can't start. 

I hate the TE position. Every year its a pain. 

You need to bench him until you can shop him around or he starts being consistent.

Not sure why I bought the hype but fortunately Walker proved to be a nice backup value where I got him. If you didn't draft another TE you're in trouble.

Edited by Sticky2

This is a tough one to swallow. I can't blame anyone but myself. I simply wasn't able to do enough research in order to make the right call here, and just saw a big a** TE who got a lot of run in '18, and completely missed the fact that he now has a coach who thinks TEs should be primarily blockers. That, and, well, Jameis Winston. Whether to drop or not this week depends on a few factors:

1. Are you 0-2 after this week? If you are, chances are you have other issues other than TE, but you can't afford to wait for Jameis to actually become a real pro QB, and for Arians to realize that in the 2019 NFL TEs can make plays. This means we need to do some creative thinking to find a replacement.

2. Obviously if there is a no-brainer drop at RB/WR, might want to hold on to him for at least one more week, but no way in hell I'm starting him.

3. I am not yet at the point, even if I'm 0-2, to trade good bench depth for a suitable replacement TE. However, if I'm 0-3, I'm definitely considering it.

9 hours ago, brrett said:

That's not true I picked up Brate when OJ went down knowing he would get the looks. He was healthy then. 

It is true - he played through a torn hip labrum for most of the season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25795599/buccaneers-te-cameron-brate-had-surgery-repair-torn-labrum-hip%3fplatform=amp

On 9/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Taking a victory lap after week 1?

Hahaha.

Guess who had 20 more yards than OJ? George freaking kittle.

Are victory laps now perimissible?

• Haha 1

OJ Howard is trending up.  In week 1, Cameron Brate had two TD catches called back on penalties.  In week 2, Brate didn't have any!

• Haha 7

Not to be a downer but I think he's a drop. And I know it's just two weeks, but it confirms what we already knew, BA doesn't use TEs. That's the determining factor here for me. Unfortunately all the quality waiver TEs have been picked up by now. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Not to be a downer but I think he's a drop. And I know it's just two weeks, but it confirms what we already knew, BA doesn't use TEs. That's the determining factor here for me. Unfortunately all the quality waiver TEs have been picked up by now. 

Yep. I was looking for positive signs over week one, when in fact he wasn’t targeted at all. One of the biggest fantasy busts so far.

Last night was perplexing for sure, and almost definitely means Howard isn't what people thought he would be when drafting him.  But you also can't say BA doesn't use TE's.  In Week 1 they targeted Howard 5 times and Brate 2 times (plus the TD's called back), which was 7 out of 36 pass attempts going to TE's.  7 targets would be 112 targets over the year, which if they were all going to Howard would be good news.  Last night only 2 targets to TE's (technically 3 if you count the one where OJH got called for pass interference), but only 25 passes attempted too.

It almost seemed last night like Howard was in the dog house or something.  Hardly even saw him after that offensive pass interference penalty, whereas he played 55 snaps in Week 1 (haven't seen snap counts for last night yet though).

Another thing people were banking on with Howard was that TB would suck and they would be forced into a super high volume passing game, which hasn't happened completely yet either.  Their D has played half decent and kept them in games, and after Winston turned it over a lot in Week 1, it seemed like the gameplan this week that BA pushed was for Winston to take care of the ball and keep them in the game without making bonehead moves.  Easier said than done, but no turnovers and only 25 pass attempts last night.  If they continue to have closer games than expected, and they keep planning to have Winston play conservative, there might not be enough pieces of pie left over to feed Evans, Godwin, and Howard.  That combined with the split in TE targets between Howard and Brate, and Howard likely falls out of the TE1 group.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Uh yeah, he just isn't involved in the game plan.

Take as many laps as you like.

Cleats.

im very disappointed. I thought ud come in and be the voice of reason.-Rest your troubled souls my children, soon the juice will be loose...

19 hours ago, StevieStats said:

This is horrible advice IMO... I get you feel that way but if someone drafted Howard they obviously liked him -- changing tune so drastically after 1 week is crazy.

Brate had 2 targets and 8 yards. The concern about him is so overblown.

Hope u decided to take my horrible advice

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Cleats.

im very disappointed. I thought ud come in and be the voice of reason.-Rest your troubled souls my children, soon the juice will be loose...

Let's be honest.

I watched the game and he was not even looked at. My love for OJ stemmed from his athletic ability AND being incorporated into the game plan. He might be in the doghouse, maybe arians doesn't like him or the TE in general, maybe Howard is playing sloppy and lazy, Whatever it is results in OJ being a non factor in the passing game this far. I would not drop but man he looks bad, don't see how you can start with confidence.

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Let's be honest.

I watched the game and he was not even looked at. My love for OJ stemmed from his athletic ability AND being incorporated into the game plan. He might be in the doghouse, maybe arians doesn't like him or the TE in general, maybe Howard is playing sloppy and lazy, Whatever it is results in OJ being a non factor in the passing game this far. I would not drop but man he looks bad, don't see how you can start with confidence.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Selling him for pennies on the dollar. I love OJ as a player, but as someone said before, difference makers don't end with 0 targets in a game.

Sad thing is I doubt I even get pennies at this point...

36 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Uh yeah, he just isn't involved in the game plan.

Take as many laps as you like.

Yeah, not sure that is Cleat’s fault. I’m a believer in the talent also but the opportunity is just not there right now,

Edited by ponchsox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Selling him for pennies on the dollar. I love OJ as a player, but as someone said before, difference makers don't end with 0 targets in a game.

Sad thing is I doubt I even get pennies at this point...

Yeah I’d get laughed at by my leaguemates if I tried to deal him now.  If there is anything decent on waivers he’s a drop.  If not he’s a bench.  

Is anybody considering buying low on OJ? Like last-guy-on-your-bench type offers?

Just now, smeeze said:

Is anybody considering buying low on OJ? Like last-guy-on-your-bench type offers?

only if it doesnt use my WW priority/ FAAB budget/ Anyone i want to stash

15 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Yeah, not sure that is Cleat’s fault. I’m a believer in the talent also but the opportunity is just not there right now,

Everyone misses so no big deal but I hate when people try to spin their calls like it SHOULD of worked so they’re not really wrong. It’s a fantasy football forum, so if you’re touting a guy it better be because you think he’ll produce fantasy points. Doesn’t really matter why guy produces - talent, volume, luck. Points are points. Also doesn’t really matter how talented a guy is if he doesn’t produce. You missed.

That said I’m benching but holding OJ a little bit longer

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Honestly would rather have brate for free. He's getting redzone looks and Howard's gonna be in the doghouse of the new coaching staff who doesn't like TEs. In the first game he was at fault for an INT and then lastnight a drive killing offensive PI along with a false start on another drive

Edited by scheibler

10 minutes ago, lla887 said:

Yeah I’d get laughed at by my leaguemates if I tried to deal him now.  If there is anything decent on waivers he’s a drop.  If not he’s a bench.  

I'm assuming I won't get any bites and will have to hold him, but the second he has a decent game I'm shipping him somewhere.