Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

👀

A trade could save his value this year.  TB might try to feature him more to optimize the trade haul. Plus any team that trades for him will use him -- unlike TB who PREDICTABLY has not.

• Thanks 1

Locked n loaded in the starting TE spot. Not to thrilled, I just got him from waivers but darn when you are in a tough spot you have to roll with who you think might bring some upside. My Herndon got bumped so next man up, 

18 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

A trade could save his value this year.  TB might try to feature him more to optimize the trade haul. Plus any team that trades for him will use him -- unlike TB who PREDICTABLY has not.

Well OJ Howard is like an abusive girlfriend who just keeps sucking you back in .... I'm picking him back up lol.

• Like 1

Trade him to New England.  Please.

• Like 5

Any team that gets him involved in the passing game is going to be rewarded. Arians is going to look like a complete fool if this trade happens. 

• Like 1

Why would they trade him now? They have him at less than 2 million a year through 2020 and a club option in 2021. He's highly talented and cheap, even if they don't fully utilize him. He's an asset, despite what the numbers say. Even on this team he still possesses intangible benefits, such as demanding at least some coverage attention. And he's a plus blocker, despite his strange struggles this year. He himself hasn't expressed the slightest bit of displeasure with his situation in the real world. It's simply people in fantasy who are angry that his statistics are disappointing, so they assume the player must be angry and disappointed as well. The media plays on these emotions and starts with the what ifs. What ifs turn into "rumors" and all the sudden people get worked up. Meanwhile, there's a strong possibility the thought hasn't even crossed the Bucs front office's minds to trade him. Remember, in season trades in the NFL are rare, especially a position like TE, where learning a whole new system mid-season is no small task.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed except Howard is getting poor grades so far this year for his blocking per PFF.

29 minutes ago, Nickmo said:

Why would they trade him now? They have him at less than 2 million a year through 2020 and a club option in 2021. He's highly talented and cheap, even if they don't fully utilize him. He's an asset, despite what the numbers say. Even on this team he still possesses intangible benefits, such as demanding at least some coverage attention. And he's a plus blocker, despite his strange struggles this year. He himself hasn't expressed the slightest bit of displeasure with his situation in the real world. It's simply people in fantasy who are angry that his statistics are disappointing, so they assume the player must be angry and disappointed as well. The media plays on these emotions and starts with the what ifs. What ifs turn into "rumors" and all the sudden people get worked up. Meanwhile, there's a strong possibility the thought hasn't even crossed the Bucs front office's minds to trade him. Remember, in season trades in the NFL are rare, especially a position like TE, where learning a whole new system mid-season is no small task.

Because "he is highly talented and cheap" TB can get a very nice return. If they can plug in Brate without any significant loss and if they can get a very useful piece elsewhere why not trade him. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nickmo said:

These are all excellent points which I agree the one thing you didn’t mention is sometimes a player is just happy being mediocre. I mean he is getting paid. Coaches and teammates are the first to see it and they try to deal with it and when they can’t you must cut that cancer out. Outside of the team and organization are the last to know about it. IMO his body language just doesn’t look right. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pan55 said:

Because "he is highly talented and cheap" TB can get a very nice return. If they can plug in Brate without any significant loss and if they can get a very useful piece elsewhere why not trade him. 

I'm not sure they'd get a big enough haul to make it worth it. They have a 1st rounder invested in him and he's probably still worth that to Tampa. They know he's a good player and things can change in an instant. If Ariens makes a quick exit out of Tampa (a very theoretical if), the next regime can go back to making him a focal point. And there's still really no reason for them to give up on him now because he's performing up to par for Ariens system, minus his blocking struggles. 

From other team's perspectives, I'm not sure they'd offer 1st round+ value for him. He's landed on the IR the last few seasons so there's injury concern. His blocking, although he's graded solid previously, is grading terrible now. I'm a believer in the Howard hype, but midseason trading for a young TE who's having trouble blocking and will have to learn a whole new system doesn't seem probable. I'd be more inclined to believe they discuss something in the off-season. 

2 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I really wish Tampa traded him away. Such a phenomenal waste of talent. How many years left on his rookie contact ?

Next year plus a team option for 2021.

Even though the targets haven't been there. I gotta say he really hasn't looked too hot. He had a couple of ugly drops today that should have been caught.

• Like 1

Can we just close this thread until and unless he gets traded?  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They should trade him.  A guy this talented, taken that high in the draft...and doesn't fit your scheme.  At least shop him.  They're not going to get equal value most likely, but there should be teams who look at OJ and see a productive player in their scheme.

I gotta add though...OJ isn't helping his cause.  Dunno how many of you watched that last game but he dropped at least a couple catchable passes.  Not entirely on Winston that he doesn't get the ball.  He's gotta make plays on the balls he gets, then he deserves more.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I gotta add though...OJ isn't helping his cause.  Dunno how many of you watched that last game but he dropped at least a couple catchable passes.  Not entirely on Winston that he doesn't get the ball.  He's gotta make plays on the balls he gets, then he deserves more.

4 targets out of 54 attempts by Winston.  We can talk all we want about how OJ has to help his own cause but that's just ridiculous how low a target share he's getting, but it's clear that Brate is the TE to own in TB (if you want any part of this team that is).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slimzy17 said:

I will be pretty pissed if he gets traded.  Yes I'm salty.

He got dropped, you can trade him now Bucs!

7 hours ago, TheINC said:

(if you want any part of this team that is).  

well, there is this kid called Chris, he seems to catch the football quite nice. :)

But yeah, as far as TEs go...meh. OJ did his duty with 6 points during Waller bye for me and he is only still on my roster because we have a big bench.