Flyman75

O.J. Howard 2019 Outlook

Could he be worth a start next week against the lowly Lions with Evans out for the year? 11 targets over the last 2 weeks, 85% of snaps, ran routes on 63/87 drop backs. I'll be between him, Gesicki, Hurst, and Njoku in the semis.. he seems to have the highest upside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, Olliemets said:

Could he be worth a start next week against the lowly Lions with Evans out for the year? 11 targets over the last 2 weeks, 85% of snaps, ran routes on 63/87 drop backs. I'll be between him, Gesicki, Hurst, and Njoku in the semis.. he seems to have the highest upside.

Agreed. Dropped Gesicki for him. 

Edited by TooHusky

Just now, TooHusky said:

Agreed. Dropped Gesicki for him. 

I'll be deciding between Howard, Gesicki, and Ian Thomas. Gesicki is looking pretty appealing if both Parker and Wilson can't go. He'll be the #1 target in the offense alongside Hurns. Giants don't rate terribly against TE's but they got absolutely torn up by Ertz on MNF. Dolphins will also be playing from behind  

Meanwhile Howard is the more skilled player but I think he'll have a less reliable workload + the Bucs may take a lead early in this game. Will come down to the wire for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

I'll be deciding between Howard, Gesicki, and Ian Thomas. Gesicki is looking pretty appealing if both Parker and Wilson can't go. He'll be the #1 target in the offense alongside Hurns. Giants don't rate terribly against TE's but they got absolutely torn up by Ertz on MNF. Dolphins will also be playing from behind  

Meanwhile Howard is the more skilled player but I think he'll have a less reliable workload + the Bucs may take a lead early in this game. Will come down to the wire for me.

I feel you, but Gesicki had that opportunity last week against a Jets D missing key pieces and struggled. Idk warm weather team in the northeast in December may have something to do with it. 

I like Howard in a dome too, Det has not given up and TB is without Evans so I don't think gamescript will screw Howard. 

Thomas is interesting, but given QB and raw talent I'd take Howard. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, Olliemets said:

So who will block? 😂

• Haha 1

Thinking about going with Howard over Henry this week. TB against a WEAK DET secondary, Evans lost for the year opens up 9 targets a game. Chargers have a tough matchup against MIN, as MIN has great safeties in Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris. Also have a top coverage LB in Eric Kendricks (one of those 3 will unquestionably cover Henry). Henry is prob a good fade. As a previous poster said,  Howard is running route on a higher percentage of dropbacks now. Could Howard be a league winner? Thats the real question. Hoping for near-Ertz level production. BOOM week

2 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Thinking about going with Howard over Henry this week. TB against a WEAK DET secondary, Evans lost for the year opens up 9 targets a game. Chargers have a tough matchup against MIN, as MIN has great safeties in Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris. Also have a top coverage LB in Eric Kendricks (one of those 3 will unquestionably cover Henry). Henry is prob a good fade. As a previous poster said,  Howard is running route on a higher percentage of dropbacks now. Could Howard be a league winner? Thats the real question. Hoping for near-Ertz level production. BOOM week

No boom if Winston is hobbled. This game looks like a barber/jones type day to protect Winston and his thumb. OJ might be blocking a lot more as well. 

23 minutes ago, dynst1988 said:

No boom if Winston is hobbled. This game looks like a barber/jones type day to protect Winston and his thumb. OJ might be blocking a lot more as well. 

Winston threw for 456 yards and 4 TDs last week. Jameis injury happened first drive of the 3rd quarter. Evans was hurt in 1st quarter. If anything, the thumb injury might force Jameis to throw more short quick pass routes. 

Howards line after Evans 1st quarter injury : 5 targets 4 rec 73 yards (received all targets after Evans injury)

Howards line after Jameis 3rd quarter injury : 3 targets 3 rec 65 yards (3, 60 from jameis, 1 rec 5 yards from Griffin)

Last note, 8 of Jameis 23 Ints were passes targeting Evans, with Evans gone the offense may have less BOOM, but more sustained drives. 

• Thanks 1

How ironic if OJ lights it up in the fantasy playoffs. Pretty good two game stretch for a tight end so far.

3 weeks to get this thread to 100 pages. Make it happen.

I’m throwing him in there with Cooks uncertainty. I feel like this might be the perfect storm of a key injury, leading to a traditionally underperforming, freak athlete, finally coming out in the tail end of the season. 

we shall see. My gut feels good about this one...

barely got on the radar as jameis was launching bombs to every healthy pass catcher in cleats.

OJ is a hulluva blocker! 😂

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

barely got on the radar as jameis was launching bombs to every healthy pass catcher in cleats.

OJ is a hulluva blocker! 😂

He led the team in targets.  Should only get more looks with Godwin out now too.

18 minutes ago, Bryce84 said:

He led the team in targets.  Should only get more looks with Godwin out now too.

Yeah maybe he finally pays off in wk 16 for the title game because he was supposed to payoff in week 15 with Evans out  and didnt crack the top 10 TE's😂

He lead the team in targets with 8 but u forgot to mention Brate had 7.

So not sure what the extra target is worth😂

Edited by dashoe

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Yeah maybe he finally pays off in wk 16 for the title game because he was supposed to payoff in week 15 with Evans out  and didnt crack the top 10 TE's😂

Was he supposed to?  I didnt start him because Detroit's been quite good in limiting TE fantasy points the last 3-5 weeks (8th best in doing so).  Howard still got 6.1 in my PP1D league which by no means a bad day, all things considered imo. 

Next week he gets HOU which has been among the absolute worst in giving up TE fantasy points in the same time frame, so I'm more optimistic and almost certainly will play him.  He's quietly had 3 decent games in a row too.

1 hour ago, Bryce84 said:

Was he supposed to?  I didnt start him because Detroit's been quite good in limiting TE fantasy points the last 3-5 weeks (8th best in doing so).  Howard still got 6.1 in my PP1D league which by no means a bad day, all things considered imo. 

Next week he gets HOU which has been among the absolute worst in giving up TE fantasy points in the same time frame, so I'm more optimistic and almost certainly will play him.  He's quietly had 3 decent games in a row too.

Gesicki outscored him. Howard has had 1 double digit game in 0.5 PPR the entire season. The only meaningful targets the TE's in Tampa get are in the redzone, but Brate has been getting those looks all season. Otherwise the receivers are used to move the team between the 20's.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Gesicki outscored him. Howard has had 1 double digit game in 0.5 PPR the entire season. The only meaningful targets the TE's in Tampa get are in the redzone, but Brate has been getting those looks all season. Otherwise the receivers are used to move the team between the 20's.

What receivers?

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

What receivers?

Considering what Perriman did... anyone. But I really doubt they are going to start utilizing the TE.

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

Considering what Perriman did... anyone. But I really doubt they are going to start utilizing the TE.

If they do use the TE's them who will block? 😂

3 hours ago, Bryce84 said:

Yup, good to see he’s finally getting targets. A little too late for most but A good stream option with Houston coming up and a banged up wR core 

56 minutes ago, dashoe said:

If they do use the TE's them who will block? 😂

They aren't using the TE's specifically to block. They are out there running routes. Being the 5th option on any pass play won't get you many targets though.

I am seriously considering flexing him this week in my .5PPR final. Especially if TB get run over early, I hope (!) that Winston will start throwing to old faithful over the new recruits. 10 targets is not entirely unrealistic.

Quietly had 8 pts in ppr last week, should get increased targets with Evans Godwin and miller out. He’s in my top 5 TE plays this week

13 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Quietly had 8 pts in ppr last week, should get increased targets with Evans Godwin and miller out. He’s in my top 5 TE plays this week

OJ had 8 targets last week and Brate had 7 targets. Why do you think he gets MORE targets? 😂

Winston distributed the ball to 11 different players last game.

8 pts on 8 targets is terrible, it's not more targets you want but more production from the targets

Edited by dashoe