Flyman75

Evan Engram 2019 Outlook

Bills were far and away the best team against TE last year. Not sure it helps that Shepard is out

1 hour ago, Nap Time said:

I'm strongly considering benching Engram this week.  The Bills were the #1 TE defense in 2018, and the #1 QB defense.  Nothing appears to have changed this year.  With Shepherd and Tate out, the Bills can focus their coverage schemes on Engram.  I don't want to get into AC territory, but I have another top 10 option that faces a much less imposing matchup.

some clarity on who this other top 10 option is would help if their names aren't Kelce, Kittle or Ertz...

33 minutes ago, larfboy said:

some clarity on who this other top 10 option is would help if their names aren't Kelce, Kittle or Ertz...

I'm doing the same as that guy with Waller over Engram. If Engram goes off so be it, but bills were toP D against TEs and it wasn't close. KC was 2nd worst last yr. It's not bad to play matchups sometimes. My whole league laughed at me starting Goodwin over AJG two years ago in the semi finals and it was the reason I won. 

Edited by scheibler

2 minutes ago, scheibler said:

I'm doing the same as that guy with Waller over Engram. If Engram goes off do be it, but bills were toP D against TEs and it wasn't close. KC was 2nd worst last yr. It's not bad to play matchups sometimes. My whole league laughed at me starting Goodwin over AJG two years ago in the semi finals and it was the reason I won. 

I try not to overthink the TE position too much. And defensive performances change drastically year to year. Not saying they aren't strong against the TE this year also. But things do change. I’ll take double digits targets for my TE all day and hope for the best. Regardless I don’t even have the option for starting another decent Tight End. And even if i did I would still start Engram. He’s the main RZ target on this team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nap Time said:

I'm strongly considering benching Engram this week.  The Bills were the #1 TE defense in 2018, and the #1 QB defense.  Nothing appears to have changed this year.  With Shepherd and Tate out, the Bills can focus their coverage schemes on Engram.  I don't want to get into AC territory, but I have another top 10 option that faces a much less imposing matchup.

I mean they played the AFC East all year last year which had little to no tight end production....

I think bills will get to a lead here and engram may have like 7-15 targets for 60 yards or something. It's a bad matchup for sure but I'd want to know the alternative

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I mean they played the AFC East all year last year which had little to no tight end production....

I think bills will get to a lead here and engram may have like 7-15 targets for 60 yards or something. It's a bad matchup for sure but I'd want to know the alternative

I think he will have an okay day just based off sheer volume.. Its probably going to be ugly and possibly not the most efficient game on his end but I don't know how you sit a top 5 TE most people don't have the luxury so I agree with you.

5 minutes ago, scheibler said:

I'm doing the same as that guy with Waller over Engram. If Engram goes off so be it, but bills were toP D against TEs and it wasn't close. KC was 2nd worst last yr. It's not bad to play matchups sometimes. My whole league laughed at me starting Goodwin over AJG two years ago in the semi finals and it was the reason I won. 

Last year, Buffalo faced subpar TEs all season minus Gronk. I give it to them since Gronk underperformed during those matchups however Evan Engram and Saquon are their only viable offensive options. those two will be force fed regardless. I think I'd sleep easier if i started Engram and Waller outperformed him than starting Waller and having Engram outperform Waller. 

As for playing matchups...i agree it's not bad to play matchups if talent is comparable. I started Carolina DST playing the matchup game and to my dismay, Jameis didn't throw a single INT. 

I hope that you guys realize that Engram is not your prototypical TE. He's just as likely to play some snaps at WR and lineup all over the field. He will get his. This is why the Giants drafted him in the first round. He's a hybrid that will have a huge game.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Yeah im curious to see who they were playing all year te wise.

2 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Yeah im curious to see who they were playing all year te wise.

the guy said he was playing Waller over Engram.

2 hours ago, Nap Time said:

Engram is a WR, not a TE.

Treat him like he's a WR.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, Del Rio said:

It's funny how I got questioned for taking this guy over Howard. Howard will be a beast, but whoever the Giants have at QB will be checking it down to Saquon and Engram all day.

Howard is the Bust of the Year.

1 hour ago, scheibler said:

Bills were far and away the best team against TE last year. Not sure it helps that Shepard is out

Engram is a big slot WR, not a TE.

8 minutes ago, abc12345 said:

Bills also held teams to the fewest ypc last year. Just saying it's not a good matchup

3 hours ago, Nap Time said:

The Bills were the #1 TE defense in 2018, and the #1 QB defense.

Even if he's a WR, it's a bad matchup.

My alternative is Hockenson vs the Chargers without their stud safety.

38 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Are people really considering benching Engram? Start your studs.

Yeah no brainer for me, Engram locked into the lineup I don't care about match up what he gonna do goose egg like OJ Howard? Doubt it.

for those selecting to start Waller and Hockenson over Engram because of matchup is like starting Josh Jacobs over Alvin Kamara...

Edited by larfboy
  • Thanks 1

The only question regarding Engram is when Daniel Jones takes over will that change things

3 hours ago, Maroney's Bolgna said:

But it's 2019.

Thanks, keep us posted.

32 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Thanks, keep us posted.

Will do.  If there's any other great insights from not-this-season, keep dropping those useful tidbits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abc12345 said:

I watched him play against the cowboys and your dead on, he looked like a WR.  The announcers said he slimmed down in the offseason and I believe it. 

4 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Are people really considering benching Engram? Start your studs.

Always start your studs. Engram is a stud

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bam327 said:

Always start your studs. 

Over the years, I feel like this is one of those cliché type statements that tends to work out.